General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User nemeth782
(member) Thu 05-Nov-15 11:15:01
Print Post

Suffolk BDUK

[link to this post]

Suffolk's BDUK scheme promises over 2mbit for everyone by the end of 2015. There is an area (example post code, not mine, IP7 7SD) where everyone is on 1-1.5mbit, with the area being "under consideration" for fibre between 2016 and 2018, with more details to be released "Autumn 2015", so any day now.

Even if fibre is not delivered, is there any way to push them towards at least meeting the 2mbit commitment? 2mbit would be a massive improvement here, and even say, 5mbit, would be like living in magical happy fairy land.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 05-Nov-15 11:22:33
Print Post

Re: Suffolk BDUK

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

The plan is to offer satellite as hopefully just a short term solution for those who are desperate to go beyond the current situation trials underway in various places or just ignore that and buy one of the commercial solutions that have been available for years

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Jax2
(member) Thu 05-Nov-15 14:51:57
Print Post

Have you tried emailing broadband@suffolk.gov.uk with specific request for info?

Edited by Jax2 (Thu 05-Nov-15 14:52:34)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User nemeth782
(member) Sat 07-Nov-15 07:49:02
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The plan is to offer satellite as hopefully just a short term solution for those who are desperate to go beyond the current situation trials underway in various places or just ignore that and buy one of the commercial solutions that have been available for years

That's kind of a dishonest plan. 100% of the UK could have had 2mbitvia Ku band satellite 5 years ago.

I'd personally prefer it if they were honest and just said "2mbps to 90%".

I've worked in the satellite broadband industry and don't want it Lol...
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Tue 10-Nov-15 00:41:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by nemeth782:
That's kind of a dishonest plan. 100% of the UK could have had 2mbitvia Ku band satellite 5 years ago.

Except those satellites didn't have the capacity to cope with demand if we threw even 10% at it. Satellite only really becomes viable when you can limit demand - either by setting extortionate fees, or by installing sufficient wired capacity that it satiates most demand.

It seems to me that you've probably reduced demand sufficiently now. Much earlier, and it would've been dishonest.

TBB reckon the market is 0.8%, while BDUK projects will also push people at FiWi or 4G.

Its no longer 2012.

I've worked in the satellite broadband industry and don't want it Lol...

Probably true of most people who know enough to be on this forum. Joe public stands a good chance of being different...
Standard User nemeth782
(member) Tue 10-Nov-15 15:42:27
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
In reply to a post by nemeth782:

Its no longer 2012.

But we still have Suffolk saying "100% over 2mbps by end 2015", yet stats being more like this: http://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local/?area=E10000029...

1.7% below 2mbps and potentially offered satellite is 98.3% coverage for 2+mbps not 100% imho.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 10-Nov-15 15:50:35
Print Post

Has Suffolk stated that the final 2 Mbps premises will NOT use satellite?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gerarda
(newbie) Tue 10-Nov-15 23:41:34
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

My understanding is that there is to be an announcement this month on using satellite vouchers but I think they are trying to get a rollout plan out of BT so that people don't sign up for satellite and then find they are capable of getting better while being locked into a contract.

The delay in doing this (the announcement of the roll out was supposed to be last month and the Better Broadband for Suffolk website has not been updated since August) may of course simply be because no-one wants to have to be the public face of the satellite announcement.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 11-Nov-15 08:22:15
Print Post

[re: gerarda] [link to this post]

Some satellite services actually offer a fibre guarantee that if it arrives in 12 months had all kit back and contract is broken

Getting that into any USO satellite service that is promoted would be good

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Thu 12-Nov-15 14:32:41
Print Post

[re: gerarda] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gerarda:
The delay in doing this (the announcement of the roll out was supposed to be last month and the Better Broadband for Suffolk website has not been updated since August) may of course simply be because no-one wants to have to be the public face of the satellite announcement.

It definitely has the opposite appeal to having to announce a USO of 10Mbps. I notice DC grabbed the "glory" of that one.

Personally, I always felt it was going to be tied into the announcements of the budget plans for what to do with the last 5%. Yes, that is more oriented at superfast speeds, but it is talking to the same audience.

I note that the house of commons has published a new variant of their briefing paper:
http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/SN06643.pdf

It mentions the new USO proposals, and also mentions trials of the BDUK satellite options in Suffolk and West Yorkshire. For Suffolk, it refers to this:
http://www.communityactionsuffolk.org.uk/2015/09/23/...
which, I think, matches your report that things should have been announced last month.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to