General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User doninwales
(newbie) Mon 16-Nov-15 17:27:16
Print Post

Cwmbran - Torfaen - Slow-Spot

[link to this post]

Almost 3 years after Cwmbran was fibre enabled, I am still not able to get it. My local cabinet has still not (and probably never will) be upgraded, so I typically only get about 1.2 Mbs (not even enough to stream iPlayer).

Superfast-Cwmru web site states:

"Under Review
You are connected to cabinet number 83 on the Cwmbran exchange.
We're in your area but we're still assessing whether or not we can upgrade your cabinet. This means you can't order Fibre yet."

This message, or something similar is pretty much what has been reported for the past 2-3 years frown

I have little hope that it will ever be upgraded.

So....what are my options....?

I understand that BT Wholesale are running a scheme called 'Community Fibre Partnership' which apepars to create alternative supplies for those who cannot get Fibre Broadband. Though before applying I need to obtain proof that there are no plans to upgrade my local cabinet. Not sure how to get that, but I have written to Superfast Cwmru for feedback...

Also, I believe that the Welsh Government offer grants for areas that cannot get Fibre Broadband. I wonder whether they might fund the Community Fibre Partnership in my area?

Has anyone been along this route?
Any ideas/suggestions on how to move forward?

Cheers,
Don
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 16-Nov-15 18:11:53
Print Post

Re: Cwmbran - Torfaen - Slow-Spot

[re: doninwales] [link to this post]

Have you always been on cabinet 83? As have a suspicion that you may have been an EO line and the cabinet has been added, which is usually a pre-cursor to FTTC appearing eventually.

Beyond what the superfast cymru website says, it is worth chasing to find out if they have any specific plans for your cabinet.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User doninwales
(newbie) Mon 16-Nov-15 19:25:27
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Actually, when I first contacted Superfast-Cwmru some 3 years ago, they told me I was on cabinet 6 - although they gave the same explanation/excuse, that the exhcnage had been enabled but there were no plans to upgrade the cabinet.

Am surprised that the cabinet number has changed, although to my knowledge, it is actually the very same cabinet. It is along a main road, in the next street over from mine. And there is no new/second cabinet nearby.

Perhaps they made a mistake before, or perhaps they have been re=numbered?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 16-Nov-15 19:28:30
Print Post

Can you spot the cabinet on google street view, might be able to tell if its 6 or 83 then

There is some rearrangement going on in Wales that does mean the numbers you are connected to can change.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User doninwales
(newbie) Tue 17-Nov-15 07:39:59
Print Post

I can see the cabinet, but have no idea how to tell the cabinet number (unless it has it written on the back somewhere):

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6262889,-3.0090839...
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 17-Nov-15 09:11:32
Print Post

That's SCP 6/1, seems it maybe renumbered to 83

Edited by Ribble (Tue 17-Nov-15 09:20:32)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 17-Nov-15 09:18:29
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Looks that way as cabinet 6 is actually at https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6342201,-3.0025555...

As we've seen in a few other parts of Wales sub cabs due to distance seem to be getting new PCP which ties in with the cab 83 (cab 82 was also a new one on the exchange)

Standard User doninwales
(newbie) Tue 17-Nov-15 09:56:19
Print Post

Apologies for my ignorance, but I didn't even know what an SCP was. (Have looked it up now and see that it means Secondary Connection Point.)

Though I still don't know exactly what the significance is of this being an SCP.

If I understand correctly...the SCP is an interim cabinet from the 'main' cabinet, to the housing estate.....?

The cabinet that you have suggested is cabinet 6, is about half a mile away (closer to the centre of Cwmbran, and hence the exchange).

Are you suggesting that we may be getting a 'new' cabinet (83)? And if so, is this likely/potentially going to support fibre?

The Superfast-Cymru web site says I am already attached to cabinet 83....
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 17-Nov-15 10:15:23
Print Post

If you want to private message your postcode then can take a look into it.

Without having exact address details the suggestion is yes a new cabinet number 83 that will replace SCP 6/1 and the only reason for doing this would be to add a fibre cabinet (in other Welsh cases this has been a combined copper/fibre cabinet known as a onesie)

Time to get a little more excited is if a new green metal cabinet with a couple of vent slots appears close to the existing fibre glass cabinet.

Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 17-Nov-15 10:21:00
Print Post

I reckon the will re-arrange the SCP intl a pcp (83) which will probably result in a new all in one fttc/pcp cabinet. Maybe sometime though.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to