General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User doninwales
(newbie) Tue 17-Nov-15 11:05:51
Print Post

Re: Cwmbran - Torfaen - Slow-Spot

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

I will PM you MrSafron.

I have been looking out for a new green cabinet for around 5 years!

I remember 'getting excited' when we were belatedly advised that the Cwmbran exchange was going to be upgraded (around 3 years) ago!

And then having to WAIT...until the considered MY cabinet
Only to be officially advised that they would not consider upgrading my cabinet due to its distance from the exchange, and that they would have to look at alternative solutions in due course. An email they sent me back in mid-2013, suggested mid-2015 as a date when they might be considering these 'alternative' solutions....

Let us assume that they DO replace the cabinet 6 with a new FTTC cabinet, would that necessarily mean that I could get fibre?
With my luck, even though they might upgrade cabinet 6, if they don't do anything to my local SCP then perhaps I will still not be able to get fibre......
Standard User doninwales
(newbie) Tue 17-Nov-15 11:46:18
Print Post

[re: doninwales] [link to this post]

Just got given an interesting web site by a work colleague:

https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=3...

This suggests that cabinet 6 has 'FTTP planned'.

It lists up to cabinet 82, but not yet cabinet 83.
Am now guessing that they have simply renamed SCP 6/1 as cabinet 83 (but not yet updated the database that this site interrogates).

If that is the case, I'm not really any further along...

Am still on the same OLD cabinet, with NO plans for an upgrade in the foreseeable future....

(Just annoys me how they keep 'improving' the capabilities for the HAVES, whilst sidelining all those people who are the HAVE-NOTS.

A report shown on this web site back in July 2015 reported for Torfaen:
Fibre-based 92.6%
Superfast 24+ Mbps 89.8%
Cabel 28.1%
Under 15 Mbps 1.8%
Under 2Mbps 0.3%

So I am in that last 0.3% and they don't seem that bothered about us....
Although I am on the outskirts of the town, I am not out on my own!
I am in an estate of 70 houses, next to another estate of 50 houses, with several other streets of another 50-100 houses.
They are just building a new estate of 100+ houses next to us, with plans for up to another 450 more in the near future!

I can almost guarantee that fibre will be provided the very day AFTER I move house!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 17-Nov-15 11:50:52
Print Post

Believe you are further along,

Never count on FTTP until it arrives and they'd not usually renumber places if FTTP.

A new cabinet (cunningly named 83) at the location of your existing sub PCP would also serve those to the west of Cwmbran Drive with a reasonable but not brilliant speed at fairly low cost.

The renumbering is a clear sign of FTTC on the way usually, cannot guarantee as these things are always open to change, but this routine has played out to completion in some other parts of Wales.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User LA7
(learned) Sun 10-Jan-16 17:13:04
Print Post

Other parts of cwmbran will have fttp

At the moment fttp cables are being put on poles around Llantarnam at the moment they are by where the B&B use to be by the traffic lights

Also fiber has been pulled underground by the blackbirds up past pub past lansdowne gardens and past the manor housing estate last year,

Also Malthouse road lane behind lansdowne gardens has had fibre for a while about 1 year now and in fact openreach did fiber backhaul direct to the O2/VODA mobile base station when it was upgraded to 4G last year here is the mast https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6266949,-3.006546,... a lot of Llantarnam has been cabled with fiber just nothing connected up apart from the o2/voda mast.

Also the new redrow estate will have fttp as that is going to be a big estate with lots of social housing and they are putting virgin media cable and openreach fttp in there

Edited by LA7 (Sun 10-Jan-16 17:57:31)

Standard User ZenUserJP
(committed) Sun 10-Jan-16 21:51:55
Print Post

I drive past these cabs every day and that's a distance if that's right.

Taking into account the hill and the roundabout and then down to the lights. about 1 1/2 miles?

Considering the houses just up from you towards the car wash you would have through there would be something in between?

I am in Green meadow and my cab just got done about 4 months ago (13)
Standard User LA7
(learned) Sun 10-Jan-16 23:27:14
Print Post

[re: ZenUserJP] [link to this post]

There is a cab at the top see here has fibre right to it but not hooked up and no dslam for fttc here it is https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6262889,-3.0090839...

Virgin media also go past there as the abbey fields housing estate has virgin media and also the local hub site for virgin is in llantarnam industrial park aswell,l
In reply to a post by ZenUserJP:
I drive past these cabs every day and that's a distance if that's right.

Taking into account the hill and the roundabout and then down to the lights. about 1 1/2 miles?

Considering the houses just up from you towards the car wash you would have through there would be something in between?

I am in Green meadow and my cab just got done about 4 months ago (13)

Edited by LA7 (Sun 10-Jan-16 23:34:37)

Standard User ZenUserJP
(committed) Mon 11-Jan-16 01:32:04
Print Post

[re: LA7] [link to this post]

yes it is I've been there several times. Unfortunately the service is still as shocking in the same business park as many of my friends who have offices there have discovered.

We spend a lot of our time in meetings on the wifi in the blackbird.. Enough said really and saves a lot of money on what would be rubbish internet connections otherwise
Standard User LA7
(learned) Mon 11-Jan-16 09:19:06
Print Post

[re: ZenUserJP] [link to this post]

Yes very true I know some one who has very slow broadband at their unit in there and they are right by the virgin media hub site unit 30 https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6373745,-3.0198609... if you look on the ground you can even we where they have dug up to lay cables to the hub site but on the same estate every one struggles
Standard User don9999
(regular) Wed 11-May-16 11:43:57
Print Post

[re: LA7] [link to this post]

Several months further on.......

Work has started on the new Housing Estate on Newport Road by the Three Blackbirds pub.
The road was dug up for weeks, with gas pipes etc being laid.
There is now continued activity around the old telephone cabinet.

But still no real news about fibre.
Presumably it IS coming....sometime....

Can't see any new cabinet at the moment.
And the Superfast Wales website is simply reporting 'design stage' which means could still be years away.

Looking at this site:
https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=6...

it reports cabinet P6 as running fibre and even "FTTP Available from 27th January 2016"

However, previous investigations suggest I am connected to cabinet 83 (or P6/1) in the old names - a Secondary Connection Point. And who knows how long it will take to get this fibre connected.

Information from that web site suggests:
"Fibre availablity for new cabinets should be regularly updated from 12 months before they become live, firstly being designed, nine months away is field survey work, five months away the physical fibre cabinet is built, four months away it's connected to the exchange and PCP cabinet, and finally one month before going live it will be activated. "

So even thinking positively.....IF 'field work' is in progress, then we are still at least 9 months away from getting fibre....

[censored] !

How annoying is it to us NOT-SPOT folk to hear that BT is rolling out even faster broadband to the lucky few whilst 'we' are left with scraps....

This morning I recorded download speeds of 0.06 Mbps..........

Edited by don9999 (Wed 11-May-16 11:55:47)

Standard User don9999
(regular) Sat 21-May-16 18:27:45
Print Post

[re: don9999] [link to this post]

Anyone knows what is happening along Newport Road, Llantarnam, Cwmbran ?
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to