General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cymru123
(learned) Sat 21-May-16 18:58:49
Print Post

Re: Cwmbran - Torfaen - Slow-Spot

[re: don9999] [link to this post]

roadworks.org just shows there being some gas works along the road, with more gas works planned over the next week.

Have you contacted SFC to get an update for your cabinet PCP 83? you can do this by tweeting them using @superfastcymru or email info@superfast-cymru.com

They are normally very good at replying back with what work still needs to be done and an estimated time frame if all goes to plan.
Standard User don9999
(regular) Mon 09-Jan-17 10:51:48
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

OK....there has been some interesting developments of late, and I wondered if anyone here could confirm or ellaborate.....

In 2016 there were roadworks taking place near cabinet 83 !
I checked websites about local roadworks to discover that they were related to utilities for a newly developing residential site.

I contact Superfast Cymru to ask if they were also installing fibre, whilst the roads were being dug up.
They replied NO, and that they had decided NOT to upgrade this cabinet and would have to look at an alternaive means for providing fast broadband.
Bummer!

But.....I now look at the Superfast Cymru website and it states that my cabinet 83 is in BULD status!

ALSO....I looked into this further and checked this site:
https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=3...

here, it states for cabinet 83: "FTTC being Built, live due by May 2017"
Which sounds amazingly promising !

Our current broadband for myself and neighbours has acually deteriorated in the past 6 months, dropping from a typical 1.6-1.8Mbs down to an average of just 1.3Mbs with numerous dropouts etc..

Am I being over-confident that AT LAST we might actually be provided with fibre? And despite what Superfast Cymru told me via email just 3-4 months ago? Am going to go back to them to ask the specific question. But wondered if anyone here had 'insider information'.

Am also concerned when I look at Cabinet 62 on that same web site which states: "FTTC being Built, live due by June 2016" - so it seems that the 'live due' date is not necessary kept to......
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 09-Jan-17 10:56:13
Print Post

Not looked anything up to cross-check but the live dates do slip sometimes, and four months ago it is possible the cabinet was not on any lists, as projects progress they do add more to the roll-out.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User don9999
(regular) Fri 10-Feb-17 17:40:40
Print Post

[re: LA7] [link to this post]

Interesting comments, but how do you KNOW these things?

The road around the estate has been dug up several times over the past year or so though it looked like it was related to utility works, not telephony.
Indeed, I wrote superfast-cymru in May 2016 to ask :

"There have been on-going road works in Llantarnam for several months, with more planned, as they install/upgrade gas pipes. Are they also installing the necessary fibre cables alongside?"

and received the reply :

"We are still planning to install a new fibre cabinet to serve the Cab 83 area but have not been able to start yet. I would expect work to start later this year and I am sorry as understand how frustrating this will be. If you prefer not to wait, you may wish to look into the Access Broadband Cymru scheme which which may be an alternative option for you."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't understand why they would lay all the fibre (as you have suggested) in the area and not connect up the houses. It doesn't make much sense. Coupled with the fact that they have been telling me for the past 3-5 years that they have had no plans to provide us with fibre due to our distance from the exchange.

You say that the mast HAS been connected.
Myh house is the one directly behind the mast (the one in your picture) and I don't recall see any cables being laid there within the past 10 years.

All I can go on is the Superfast-Cymru site which states that Cabinet 83 (which servers the streets around here - Lansdowne gardens, The Manor, Blackbirds Close, Ty Coch Lane etc) as 'FTTC being built'.
And also, the 'MagentaSystems' web site showing the following similar information, and also stating that it is due to be live by may 2017.

Post Code Road Locality Distance 20CN 21CN WBC Fibre Cabinet
NP44 3AE Y Faenor Cwmbran, Gwent 3,720m ADSL ADSL2+ FTTC being Built, live due by May 2017 P83 100%
NP44 3AF Y Faenor Cwmbran, Gwent 3,622m ADSL ADSL2+ FTTC being Built, live due by May 2017 P83 100%
NP44 3AP Blackbirds Close Cwmbran, Gwent 3,414m ADSL ADSL2+ FTTC being Built, live due by May 2017 P83 94%
NP44 3AQ Y Faenor Cwmbran, Gwent 3,580m ADSL ADSL2+ FTTC being Built, live due by May 2017 P83 100%
NP44 3AY Ty Coch Lane Cwmbran, Gwent 3,361m ADSL ADSL2+ FTTC being Built, live due by May 2017 P83 100%
NP44 3EE Lon-y-Bracty Cwmbran, Gwent 3,782m ADSL ADSL2+ FTTC being Built, live due by May 2017 P83 55%
NP44 3GB Gerddi Lansdowne Cwmbran, Gwent 3,542m ADSL ADSL2+ FTTC being Built, live due by May 2017 P83 95%
NP44 7AL Llwybr Ty Coch Cwmbran, Gwent 2,760m ADSL ADSL2+ FTTC being Built, live due by May 2017 P83 66%
NP44 7AN Trawsmawr Lane Cwmbran, Gwent 3,789m ADSL ADSL2+ FTTC being Built, live due by May 2017 P83 50%
NP44 7AQ Pantglas Lane Cwmbran, Gwent 3,278m ADSL ADSL2+ FTTC being Built, live due by May 2017 P83 100%
NP44 7AR Pentre Lane Cwmbran, Gwent 3,597m ADSL ADSL2+ FTTC being Built, live due by May 2017 P83 100%
NP44 7AX Ty Coch Lane Cwmbran, Gwent 3,308m ADSL ADSL2+ FTTC being Built, live due by May 2017 P83 80%
NP44 7AZ Cwmbran, Gwent 3,645m ADSL ADSL2+ FTTC being Built, live due by May 2017 P83 11%

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course, I would much prefer if we had FTTP, but FTTC would improve our current 1.4ish Mbits/s.....

I'd be interested to hear how you got your information.
Standard User don9999
(regular) Wed 10-May-17 16:02:04
Print Post

'Another' 3 months passes by and there are STILL no signs of progress......

The Superfast Cymru site STILL states that it is in BUILD status - but has being shown that since beginning of the year....

The Magenta Systems CodeLookup page (https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=444907&postcodeloc=11473&cabinet=P83) STILL states for our cabinet:

"FTTC being Built, live due by May 2017"

But still......nothing.....

We get excited from time to time when we see a BT Superfast van parked in or around one of our streets.
Last weekend there were TWO such vans right outside the existing cabinet.

Yet....there are still NO signs of any new green cabinet......

Some 6 or so years after our town was fibre enabled we are STILL waiting for half-decent broadband.
I am now looking to move home.
I have always thought that they would install fibre to our premises the very day after I move.

Looks like this is almost certainly going to happen now...... frown
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 10-May-17 17:34:27
Print Post

Nothing reported on roadworks.org?
Standard User don9999
(regular) Wed 10-May-17 20:10:06
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]