General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User doninwales
(newbie) Mon 16-Nov-15 17:27:16
Print Post

Cwmbran - Torfaen - Slow-Spot

[link to this post]

Almost 3 years after Cwmbran was fibre enabled, I am still not able to get it. My local cabinet has still not (and probably never will) be upgraded, so I typically only get about 1.2 Mbs (not even enough to stream iPlayer).

Superfast-Cwmru web site states:

"Under Review
You are connected to cabinet number 83 on the Cwmbran exchange.
We're in your area but we're still assessing whether or not we can upgrade your cabinet. This means you can't order Fibre yet."

This message, or something similar is pretty much what has been reported for the past 2-3 years frown

I have little hope that it will ever be upgraded.

So....what are my options....?

I understand that BT Wholesale are running a scheme called 'Community Fibre Partnership' which apepars to create alternative supplies for those who cannot get Fibre Broadband. Though before applying I need to obtain proof that there are no plans to upgrade my local cabinet. Not sure how to get that, but I have written to Superfast Cwmru for feedback...

Also, I believe that the Welsh Government offer grants for areas that cannot get Fibre Broadband. I wonder whether they might fund the Community Fibre Partnership in my area?

Has anyone been along this route?
Any ideas/suggestions on how to move forward?

Cheers,
Don
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 16-Nov-15 18:11:53
Print Post

Re: Cwmbran - Torfaen - Slow-Spot

[re: doninwales] [link to this post]

Have you always been on cabinet 83? As have a suspicion that you may have been an EO line and the cabinet has been added, which is usually a pre-cursor to FTTC appearing eventually.

Beyond what the superfast cymru website says, it is worth chasing to find out if they have any specific plans for your cabinet.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User doninwales
(newbie) Mon 16-Nov-15 19:25:27
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Actually, when I first contacted Superfast-Cwmru some 3 years ago, they told me I was on cabinet 6 - although they gave the same explanation/excuse, that the exhcnage had been enabled but there were no plans to upgrade the cabinet.

Am surprised that the cabinet number has changed, although to my knowledge, it is actually the very same cabinet. It is along a main road, in the next street over from mine. And there is no new/second cabinet nearby.

Perhaps they made a mistake before, or perhaps they have been re=numbered?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 16-Nov-15 19:28:30
Print Post

Can you spot the cabinet on google street view, might be able to tell if its 6 or 83 then

There is some rearrangement going on in Wales that does mean the numbers you are connected to can change.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User doninwales
(newbie) Tue 17-Nov-15 07:39:59
Print Post

I can see the cabinet, but have no idea how to tell the cabinet number (unless it has it written on the back somewhere):

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6262889,-3.0090839...
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 17-Nov-15 09:11:32
Print Post

That's SCP 6/1, seems it maybe renumbered to 83

Edited by Ribble (Tue 17-Nov-15 09:20:32)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 17-Nov-15 09:18:29
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Looks that way as cabinet 6 is actually at https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6342201,-3.0025555...

As we've seen in a few other parts of Wales sub cabs due to distance seem to be getting new PCP which ties in with the cab 83 (cab 82 was also a new one on the exchange)

Standard User doninwales
(newbie) Tue 17-Nov-15 09:56:19
Print Post

Apologies for my ignorance, but I didn't even know what an SCP was. (Have looked it up now and see that it means Secondary Connection Point.)

Though I still don't know exactly what the significance is of this being an SCP.

If I understand correctly...the SCP is an interim cabinet from the 'main' cabinet, to the housing estate.....?

The cabinet that you have suggested is cabinet 6, is about half a mile away (closer to the centre of Cwmbran, and hence the exchange).

Are you suggesting that we may be getting a 'new' cabinet (83)? And if so, is this likely/potentially going to support fibre?

The Superfast-Cymru web site says I am already attached to cabinet 83....
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 17-Nov-15 10:15:23
Print Post

If you want to private message your postcode then can take a look into it.

Without having exact address details the suggestion is yes a new cabinet number 83 that will replace SCP 6/1 and the only reason for doing this would be to add a fibre cabinet (in other Welsh cases this has been a combined copper/fibre cabinet known as a onesie)

Time to get a little more excited is if a new green metal cabinet with a couple of vent slots appears close to the existing fibre glass cabinet.

Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 17-Nov-15 10:21:00
Print Post

I reckon the will re-arrange the SCP intl a pcp (83) which will probably result in a new all in one fttc/pcp cabinet. Maybe sometime though.
Standard User doninwales
(newbie) Tue 17-Nov-15 11:05:51
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

I will PM you MrSafron.

I have been looking out for a new green cabinet for around 5 years!

I remember 'getting excited' when we were belatedly advised that the Cwmbran exchange was going to be upgraded (around 3 years) ago!

And then having to WAIT...until the considered MY cabinet
Only to be officially advised that they would not consider upgrading my cabinet due to its distance from the exchange, and that they would have to look at alternative solutions in due course. An email they sent me back in mid-2013, suggested mid-2015 as a date when they might be considering these 'alternative' solutions....

Let us assume that they DO replace the cabinet 6 with a new FTTC cabinet, would that necessarily mean that I could get fibre?
With my luck, even though they might upgrade cabinet 6, if they don't do anything to my local SCP then perhaps I will still not be able to get fibre......
Standard User doninwales
(newbie) Tue 17-Nov-15 11:46:18
Print Post

Just got given an interesting web site by a work colleague:

https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=3...

This suggests that cabinet 6 has 'FTTP planned'.

It lists up to cabinet 82, but not yet cabinet 83.
Am now guessing that they have simply renamed SCP 6/1 as cabinet 83 (but not yet updated the database that this site interrogates).

If that is the case, I'm not really any further along...

Am still on the same OLD cabinet, with NO plans for an upgrade in the foreseeable future....

(Just annoys me how they keep 'improving' the capabilities for the HAVES, whilst sidelining all those people who are the HAVE-NOTS.

A report shown on this web site back in July 2015 reported for Torfaen:
Fibre-based 92.6%
Superfast 24+ Mbps 89.8%
Cabel 28.1%
Under 15 Mbps 1.8%
Under 2Mbps 0.3%

So I am in that last 0.3% and they don't seem that bothered about us....
Although I am on the outskirts of the town, I am not out on my own!
I am in an estate of 70 houses, next to another estate of 50 houses, with several other streets of another 50-100 houses.
They are just building a new estate of 100+ houses next to us, with plans for up to another 450 more in the near future!

I can almost guarantee that fibre will be provided the very day AFTER I move house!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 17-Nov-15 11:50:52
Print Post

Believe you are further along,

Never count on FTTP until it arrives and they'd not usually renumber places if FTTP.

A new cabinet (cunningly named 83) at the location of your existing sub PCP would also serve those to the west of Cwmbran Drive with a reasonable but not brilliant speed at fairly low cost.

The renumbering is a clear sign of FTTC on the way usually, cannot guarantee as these things are always open to change, but this routine has played out to completion in some other parts of Wales.

Standard User LA7
(learned) Sun 10-Jan-16 17:13:04
Print Post

Other parts of cwmbran will have fttp

At the moment fttp cables are being put on poles around Llantarnam at the moment they are by where the B&B use to be by the traffic lights

Also fiber has been pulled underground by the blackbirds up past pub past lansdowne gardens and past the manor housing estate last year,

Also Malthouse road lane behind lansdowne gardens has had fibre for a while about 1 year now and in fact openreach did fiber backhaul direct to the O2/VODA mobile base station when it was upgraded to 4G last year here is the mast https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6266949,-3.006546,... a lot of Llantarnam has been cabled with fiber just nothing connected up apart from the o2/voda mast.

Also the new redrow estate will have fttp as that is going to be a big estate with lots of social housing and they are putting virgin media cable and openreach fttp in there

Edited by LA7 (Sun 10-Jan-16 17:57:31)

Standard User ZenUserJP
(committed) Sun 10-Jan-16 21:51:55
Print Post

I drive past these cabs every day and that's a distance if that's right.

Taking into account the hill and the roundabout and then down to the lights. about 1 1/2 miles?

Considering the houses just up from you towards the car wash you would have through there would be something in between?

I am in Green meadow and my cab just got done about 4 months ago (13)
Standard User LA7
(learned) Sun 10-Jan-16 23:27:14
Print Post

[re: ZenUserJP] [link to this post]

There is a cab at the top see here has fibre right to it but not hooked up and no dslam for fttc here it is https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6262889,-3.0090839...

Virgin media also go past there as the abbey fields housing estate has virgin media and also the local hub site for virgin is in llantarnam industrial park aswell,l
In reply to a post by ZenUserJP:
I drive past these cabs every day and that's a distance if that's right.

Taking into account the hill and the roundabout and then down to the lights. about 1 1/2 miles?

Considering the houses just up from you towards the car wash you would have through there would be something in between?

I am in Green meadow and my cab just got done about 4 months ago (13)

Edited by LA7 (Sun 10-Jan-16 23:34:37)

Standard User ZenUserJP
(committed) Mon 11-Jan-16 01:32:04
Print Post

[re: LA7] [link to this post]

yes it is I've been there several times. Unfortunately the service is still as shocking in the same business park as many of my friends who have offices there have discovered.

We spend a lot of our time in meetings on the wifi in the blackbird.. Enough said really and saves a lot of money on what would be rubbish internet connections otherwise
Standard User LA7
(learned) Mon 11-Jan-16 09:19:06
Print Post

[re: ZenUserJP] [link to this post]

Yes very true I know some one who has very slow broadband at their unit in there and they are right by the virgin media hub site unit 30 https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6373745,-3.0198609... if you look on the ground you can even we where they have dug up to lay cables to the hub site but on the same estate every one struggles
Standard User don9999
(regular) Wed 11-May-16 11:43:57
Print Post

Several months further on.......

Work has started on the new Housing Estate on Newport Road by the Three Blackbirds pub.
The road was dug up for weeks, with gas pipes etc being laid.
There is now continued activity around the old telephone cabinet.

But still no real news about fibre.
Presumably it IS coming....sometime....

Can't see any new cabinet at the moment.
And the Superfast Wales website is simply reporting 'design stage' which means could still be years away.

Looking at this site:
https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=6...

it reports cabinet P6 as running fibre and even "FTTP Available from 27th January 2016"

However, previous investigations suggest I am connected to cabinet 83 (or P6/1) in the old names - a Secondary Connection Point. And who knows how long it will take to get this fibre connected.

Information from that web site suggests:
"Fibre availablity for new cabinets should be regularly updated from 12 months before they become live, firstly being designed, nine months away is field survey work, five months away the physical fibre cabinet is built, four months away it's connected to the exchange and PCP cabinet, and finally one month before going live it will be activated. "

So even thinking positively.....IF 'field work' is in progress, then we are still at least 9 months away from getting fibre....

[censored] !

How annoying is it to us NOT-SPOT folk to hear that BT is rolling out even faster broadband to the lucky few whilst 'we' are left with scraps....

This morning I recorded download speeds of 0.06 Mbps..........

Edited by don9999 (Wed 11-May-16 11:55:47)

Standard User don9999
(regular) Sat 21-May-16 18:27:45
Print Post

[re: don9999] [link to this post]

Anyone knows what is happening along Newport Road, Llantarnam, Cwmbran ?
Standard User cymru123
(learned) Sat 21-May-16 18:58:49
Print Post

roadworks.org just shows there being some gas works along the road, with more gas works planned over the next week.

Have you contacted SFC to get an update for your cabinet PCP 83? you can do this by tweeting them using @superfastcymru or email info@superfast-cymru.com

They are normally very good at replying back with what work still needs to be done and an estimated time frame if all goes to plan.
Standard User don9999
(regular) Mon 09-Jan-17 10:51:48
Print Post

OK....there has been some interesting developments of late, and I wondered if anyone here could confirm or ellaborate.....

In 2016 there were roadworks taking place near cabinet 83 !
I checked websites about local roadworks to discover that they were related to utilities for a newly developing residential site.

I contact Superfast Cymru to ask if they were also installing fibre, whilst the roads were being dug up.
They replied NO, and that they had decided NOT to upgrade this cabinet and would have to look at an alternaive means for providing fast broadband.
Bummer!

But.....I now look at the Superfast Cymru website and it states that my cabinet 83 is in BULD status!

ALSO....I looked into this further and checked this site:
https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=3...

here, it states for cabinet 83: "FTTC being Built, live due by May 2017"
Which sounds amazingly promising !

Our current broadband for myself and neighbours has acually deteriorated in the past 6 months, dropping from a typical 1.6-1.8Mbs down to an average of just 1.3Mbs with numerous dropouts etc..

Am I being over-confident that AT LAST we might actually be provided with fibre? And despite what Superfast Cymru told me via email just 3-4 months ago? Am going to go back to them to ask the specific question. But wondered if anyone here had 'insider information'.

Am also concerned when I look at Cabinet 62 on that same web site which states: "FTTC being Built, live due by June 2016" - so it seems that the 'live due' date is not necessary kept to......
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 09-Jan-17 10:56:13
Print Post

Not looked anything up to cross-check but the live dates do slip sometimes, and four months ago it is possible the cabinet was not on any lists, as projects progress they do add more to the roll-out.

Standard User don9999
(regular) Fri 10-Feb-17 17:40:40
Print Post

Interesting comments, but how do you KNOW these things?

The road around the estate has been dug up several times over the past year or so though it looked like it was related to utility works, not telephony.
Indeed, I wrote superfast-cymru in May 2016 to ask :

"There have been on-going road works in Llantarnam for several months, with more planned, as they install/upgrade gas pipes. Are they also installing the necessary fibre cables alongside?"

and received the reply :

"We are still planning to install a new fibre cabinet to serve the Cab 83 area but have not been able to start yet. I would expect work to start later this year and I am sorry as understand how frustrating this will be. If you prefer not to wait, you may wish to look into the Access Broadband Cymru scheme which which may be an alternative option for you."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't understand why they would lay all the fibre (as you have suggested) in the area and not connect up the houses. It doesn't make much sense. Coupled with the fact that they have been telling me for the past 3-5 years that they have had no plans to provide us with fibre due to our distance from the exchange.

You say that the mast HAS been connected.
Myh house is the one directly behind the mast (the one in your picture) and I don't recall see any cables being laid there within the past 10 years.

All I can go on is the Superfast-Cymru site which states that Cabinet 83 (which servers the streets around here - Lansdowne gardens, The Manor, Blackbirds Close, Ty Coch Lane etc) as 'FTTC being built'.
And also, the 'MagentaSystems' web site showing the following similar information, and also stating that it is due to be live by may 2017.

Post Code Road Locality Distance 20CN 21CN WBC Fibre Cabinet
NP44 3AE Y Faenor Cwmbran, Gwent 3,720m ADSL ADSL2+ FTTC being Built, live due by May 2017 P83 100%
NP44 3AF Y Faenor Cwmbran, Gwent 3,622m ADSL ADSL2+ FTTC being Built, live due by May 2017 P83 100%
NP44 3AP Blackbirds Close Cwmbran, Gwent 3,414m ADSL ADSL2+ FTTC being Built, live due by May 2017 P83 94%
NP44 3AQ Y Faenor Cwmbran, Gwent 3,580m ADSL ADSL2+ FTTC being Built, live due by May 2017 P83 100%
NP44 3AY Ty Coch Lane Cwmbran, Gwent 3,361m ADSL ADSL2+ FTTC being Built, live due by May 2017 P83 100%
NP44 3EE Lon-y-Bracty Cwmbran, Gwent 3,782m ADSL ADSL2+ FTTC being Built, live due by May 2017 P83 55%
NP44 3GB Gerddi Lansdowne Cwmbran, Gwent 3,542m ADSL ADSL2+ FTTC being Built, live due by May 2017 P83 95%
NP44 7AL Llwybr Ty Coch Cwmbran, Gwent 2,760m ADSL ADSL2+ FTTC being Built, live due by May 2017 P83 66%
NP44 7AN Trawsmawr Lane Cwmbran, Gwent 3,789m ADSL ADSL2+ FTTC being Built, live due by May 2017 P83 50%
NP44 7AQ Pantglas Lane Cwmbran, Gwent 3,278m ADSL ADSL2+ FTTC being Built, live due by May 2017 P83 100%
NP44 7AR Pentre Lane Cwmbran, Gwent 3,597m ADSL ADSL2+ FTTC being Built, live due by May 2017 P83 100%
NP44 7AX Ty Coch Lane Cwmbran, Gwent 3,308m ADSL ADSL2+ FTTC being Built, live due by May 2017 P83 80%
NP44 7AZ Cwmbran, Gwent 3,645m ADSL ADSL2+ FTTC being Built, live due by May 2017 P83 11%

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course, I would much prefer if we had FTTP, but FTTC would improve our current 1.4ish Mbits/s.....

I'd be interested to hear how you got your information.
Standard User don9999
(regular) Wed 10-May-17 16:02:04
Print Post

'Another' 3 months passes by and there are STILL no signs of progress......

The Superfast Cymru site STILL states that it is in BUILD status - but has being shown that since beginning of the year....

The Magenta Systems CodeLookup page (https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=444907&postcodeloc=11473&cabinet=P83) STILL states for our cabinet:

"FTTC being Built, live due by May 2017"

But still......nothing.....

We get excited from time to time when we see a BT Superfast van parked in or around one of our streets.
Last weekend there were TWO such vans right outside the existing cabinet.

Yet....there are still NO signs of any new green cabinet......

Some 6 or so years after our town was fibre enabled we are STILL waiting for half-decent broadband.
I am now looking to move home.
I have always thought that they would install fibre to our premises the very day after I move.

Looks like this is almost certainly going to happen now...... frown
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 10-May-17 17:34:27
Print Post

Nothing reported on roadworks.org?
Standard User don9999
(regular) Wed 10-May-17 20:10:06
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]