General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User GeorgyH
(newbie) Fri 01-Jan-16 13:39:01
Print Post

Petition to BT and The Minister for the Digital Economy

[link to this post]

I live in Bow Brickhill which is part of Milton Keynes, half of the village enjoy superfast broadband from one exchange, the rest of us struggle to get a servce. In response to this I have put together a petition to both BT and the government minister responsible. Please feel free to share with anyone you know. Thank you
Georgy
http://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/fair-digital-a...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 01-Jan-16 16:22:34
Print Post

Re: Petition to BT and The Minister for the Digital Economy

[re: GeorgyH] [link to this post]

Why BT? Other operators have the ability to roll-out new infrastructure. Only asking as many complain about the dominance of BT and yet lots of campaigns target BT to get them to come to their area.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MacLe0d
(newbie) Fri 01-Jan-16 17:40:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by GeorgyH:
I live in Bow Brickhill which is part of Milton Keynes, half of the village enjoy superfast broadband from one exchange, the rest of us struggle to get a servce. In response to this I have put together a petition to both BT and the government minister responsible. Please feel free to share with anyone you know. Thank you
Georgy
http://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/fair-digital-a...

Join the club 2 out of 3 cabinets have been upgraded for superfast broadband in the village I live, Guess which one I'm on.

No matter how fast a rollout out those stuck towards the end of it will get louder in their complaints. But doesn't that date back to them targetting coverage first rather than speed.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User GeorgyH
(newbie) Fri 01-Jan-16 18:13:27
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

If you have suggestions for other providers then let me know and I will amend my petition. I targeted BT because they, as far as I know, own the degraded phone lines that are so problematic, but am happy to be told otherwise.
Georgy
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 01-Jan-16 18:56:35
Print Post

There is 4G, then people like Virgin Media, Gigaclear (villages) and Hyperoptic (flats), IFNL (new build estates), CityFibre

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 01-Jan-16 20:42:15
Print Post

If not considered commercially viable by BT why should they be expected to upgrade? We don't live in a soviet state and BT as a privately owned company rightly expects to make a profit. Rather than wasting your time with what I consider to be a pointless petition look for a company such as, Virgin Media, Gigaclear or Hyperoptic who is prepared to take on the job, set up an altnet or get together as a group and stump up the required cash to fund the gap between what BT is prepared to shell out and the full cost. Others have done that, why not your village?
Standard User zom22
(member) Fri 01-Jan-16 22:29:29
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Well, as the OP has said half the village has great BB and the other rubbish then I doubt anyone else BUT BT will be interested.
Is just not a viable economic unit.

Gigaclear for example need a groups of at least 400+ houses AND be within striking distance of a non BT backhaul before they will consider and of course they need 30% of properties to commit to buying from them

Hyperoptic only do multiple dwelling units in cities - apartment blocks to you and me - villages and individual properties - sorry - they are not interested.

Of course this is WHY BT are operating like this by leaving out small blocks of users here and there. They know that these small areas are not viable for an altnet to come and and screw them over - so they (BT) are instead in a better position to squeeze the bollo*ks of HMG/local council to accept their "generous offer" to infill the gaps at a later stage.

I've done this sort of thing myself in other industries - manage to work your employers' offer/product/strategy such that the customer in reality has no option for future orders but to place them with you - whereupon you can screw them over on the price big time.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Fri 01-Jan-16 23:00:19
Print Post

I wish you luck but can't help but feel, as someone who has run a campaign myself, that you'd be better off keeping this local and specific rather than going for the honourable, lofty, but entirely unachievable aim of changing the picture nationwide.

I have more than a sneaking suspicion that there'll be another network arriving in your general area however I can't really say whether it'll cover you specifically and either way it won't be arriving for a while, certainly unlikely to be 2016.
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 01-Jan-16 23:18:29
Print Post

[re: zom22] [link to this post]

Well, as the OP has said half the village has great BB and the other rubbish then I doubt anyone else BUT BT will be interested.
Is just not a viable economic unit.
Indeed. This was the case where I live on a late 1980s development in central London. 75 2km+ EO lines surrounded by properties with access to both decent speed FTTC and Virgin Media. We did something about it. Raised the funds to gap fund the installation by BT of an all-in-one PCP and VDSL cabinet. I guess we could have waited until 2020 or so but instead decided we needed to do something now.

That half the village has fast broadband and the other not may not be "fair" but reflects the society we live in where services need to be paid for an give a reasonable return to the supplier. Not everyone has mains gas and even more have no mains sewerage so why broadband from BT when alternative exist.

Rather than petition the OP might be better served by approaching BDUK Bedfordshire and Milton Keynes who may well have the funds to upgrade the connection to the village.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Fri 01-Jan-16 23:43:35
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MCM:
That half the village has fast broadband and the other not may not be "fair" but reflects the society we live in where services need to be paid for an give a reasonable return to the supplier. Not everyone has mains gas and even more have no mains sewerage so why broadband from BT when alternative exist.
I would argue that BT should be forced to be more compliant and not cherry pick in these situations in return for being allowed to have a dominant market position. Oil is a very viable alternative to gas. Any issues regarding the provision of drains are normally addressed when a property is built, unlike a phone and broadband which are often provided later.

Michael Chare
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to