General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MaxNRG
(member) Thu 14-Jan-16 00:16:24
Print Post

Living 50 metres from 100Mbps+ cable & fibre...

[link to this post]

Does anyone have any suggestions for who I can write to at Openreach about living in London (LNILC CAB 66) and only having 4Mbps ADSL2??? If I lived in the middle of nowhere I'd understand the logistics of getting faster broadband to me would be hard. But less than 50m from my house are properties with access to 300Mbps FTTP & Virgin 100Mbps+ cable and I am stuck with a last century connection.

Any contacts at Openreach greatly recieved.

Asus DSL-AC68U
on EE & Sky Unlimited ADSL
(Formerly on Be Bonded Service, alas killed by Sky)

Sky : speedtest.net : 13th July 2015 20:43 BST
23ms ping : 3.77Mb/s Down 0.60Mb/s Up : London Server

Be Internet : speedtest.net : 2nd Jan 2013 12:13 GMT
21ms ping : 4.24Mb/s Down 0.91Mb/s Up : London Server
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 14-Jan-16 00:35:29
Print Post

Re: Living 50 metres from 100Mbps+ cable & fibre...

[re: MaxNRG] [link to this post]

I am the same, the only contacts that I know at BT Openreach are the Fibre Enquiries Team and they won't be able to help.

I am on cabinet 24 of the same exchange and we have all the FTTP hardware since end of 2011 as you already know.

I have been recently told by BT via my local MP that they have a potential issue with our records, which they are investigating now, and that it will take a few weeks to complete.
If this is the sole cause for our FTTP not yet going live, and I know your cabinet was down as the same phase as ours i.e. Phase 05b 2011, however I can see that cabinet 66 was down as "Removed or Deferred from Scheduled Deployment" back in 2011, so if that means no longer viable or not to be done in the first phase, you still might be lucky.

But I say get your local MP involved.

Paul
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 14-Jan-16 00:42:25
Print Post

Nothing to suggest other than to say that there are hundreds and thousands if not tens of thousands of other city dwellers in an identical position. In our case we are, or rather were, 75 properties on a late 1980s development in Lambeth on long EO lines with VM cable passing along the front of the development, within 3 or 4 metres of 18 of the flats, and with the rest of the street enjoying access to both VM and FTTC from a nearby cab.

We however did something. We got together, spoke to BT, and agreed to gap fund the installation of an all-in-one FTTC cabinet. Not cheap but it has produced results. Individually you are unlikely to get anywhere. Speak to others in your area in a similar position to yourself and speak to BT with one voice. You might be lucky and find BT able to help but by contacting them as a group you will at least have made them aware of your position and needs, shown them that there is demand and they may be able to help, if not now perhaps in the not too distant future.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Gadget
(committed) Thu 14-Jan-16 00:43:12
Print Post

I assume you will also be writing to Virgin c/o cablemystreet to ask them to extend their network as well?
Standard User olicuk
(learned) Thu 14-Jan-16 10:33:51
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

We likewise had success by getting together and working as a group, though we managed to prove commercial viability for a group of cabinets in an area full of other enabled cabs with high take up, and did not need to resort to gap funding.

We started by setting up a website (link below!) and a couple of us leafleted all properties connected to the cabinet - around 400 - as well as promoting the campaign on social media and the local community magazine. Over 100 people responded stating they would take out a service in the first 6 months.

We did some research to find contacts at BT/Openreach, but also crucially got the support of our local councillors. What also helped was then also getting the campaign extended to three cabinets all on new build sites suffering the same fate. We and our councillors then contacted the local BT Regional Partnership Director (details on BT website), and believe other residents also sent them the odd direct email! BT, and then the regional OR programme team, started speaking to us, and then came out for a meeting with us, which we prepared a 'sales pitch' presentation for.

Obviously if you can't prove commercial viability, you're probably going to need to resort to gap funding - if you approach OR about that, it should at least be easier to get a response.

As per the last post, try to also get everyone in the area registered on Virgin's Cable My Street site (and the Superfast Openreach site), as I'm sure that helps too. Again a local campaign/leafleting helps. Good luck

Standard User MaxNRG
(member) Thu 14-Jan-16 20:56:07
Print Post

[re: olicuk] [link to this post]

Thanks to all for the responses. The suggestions are good and will need me to rethink my strategy as I don't have the bandwidth (no pun intended) to start a campaign like this by myself. There is nominally a residents association for the ~280 homes connected to my PCP which I think I would have to try and reboot as a vehicle for this endevour. The estate is 11 years old and we haven't had a residents association meeting for 3-4 years.

One question olicuk, how many customers are needed to make a fibre cabinet viable?

Lastly, Does anyone think it's possible BT have not upgraded my PCP to superfast broadband because there is no Vigin Media cable as competition? At the moment OR have a monopoly of 280+ phonelines which each only support upto 5mbps ADSL which is easy money for the £17-18/month line rental charged these days. I have 3 phonelines to provide the bandwith I need to use on demand Sky TV and work from home and give my family some regular internet access, which is nearly £60/month.

Thanks again.

Asus DSL-AC68U

Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 14-Jan-16 21:45:04
Print Post

Monopoly? No, VM or any other Telco could install phone circuits if they were to consider doing so was commercially viable.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 15-Jan-16 10:12:36
Print Post

If BT only installed where Virgin were competition then half the country wouldn't be covered - so no, that is unlikely to be a factor.

As to how many connections make a cab viable that is not a straightforward answer. The costs of bringing a cab on line are not standard - depends on all sorts of factors and one cab might be quite cheap where another could cost 10 times more. That makes it a case by case review.
Standard User Fastman2
(committed) Sat 23-Jan-16 16:03:00
Print Post

[re: olicuk] [link to this post]

everest park cab was a commercial cab - which was stuck - that's a- major difference to cab that's not commercial

Edited by Fastman2 (Sat 23-Jan-16 16:03:48)

Standard User MaxNRG
(member) Sat 18-Feb-17 08:02:20
Print Post

An update on LNILC 66.

I eventually ended up corresponding with the Openreach Community Partnershio team who let me know that my cabinet was part of a planned roll out so they would not talk about GAP funding.

As of January 2017 the Fibre Joirney site lists my cabinet as being in the 'Design' phase, though codebook does not yet indicate a date for Fibre. The properties near me all have FTTP and so I'm crossing my fingers for this as no VDSL CAB is needed if this is our solution.

Fingers crossed for something positive in the next 12-18 months.

Asus DSL-AC68U

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to