General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User B31
(member) Fri 05-Feb-16 19:33:03
Print Post

New Build Homes to get superfast broadband

[link to this post]

The government has struck a deal between BT-owned Openreach and the Home Builders Federation (HBF) which aims to deliver superfast broadband to all newly built homes.

BT said more than half of new homes would now be connected free of charge, with the rest co-funded by developers...

About time!

But too late for a lot of us.

BT ADSL customer getting 1.7 Mbps (0.6 Mbps up) on a new road / new build development
CAB not FTTC enabled, not part of the 66% commercial plan. Not rural - no BDUK funding
(Virgin Media nearby)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 05-Feb-16 20:17:34
Print Post

Re: New Build Homes to get superfast broadband

[re: B31] [link to this post]

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7345-improved-dea...

No guarantee, i.e. developer can ignore any offers/help/co-funding deal and just leave areas on old ADSL/ADSL2+ and note they need to give enough advance warning to avoid the people moving in and not having anything.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Fastman2
(committed) Fri 05-Feb-16 21:26:30
Print Post

[re: B31] [link to this post]

B31 which development are you on

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Sat 06-Feb-16 11:06:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
No guarantee, i.e. developer can ignore any offers/help/co-funding deal and just leave areas on old ADSL/ADSL2+ and note they need to give enough advance warning to avoid the people moving in and not having anything.

This is another area where Openreach should be able to talk to Joe Public.

Isn't the comms infrastructure that attaches the house to the world an asset of the house? The existence and capability of this asset seems to me to be a proper matter of concern between the householder and Openreach (and other infrastructure suppliers) - even when the is no ISP "customer" involved.

For new houses, prospective buyers need the same right to access the infrastructure providers.

Or perhaps developers need to provide this kind of thing for broadband performance:
Performance Certificate
Standard User sor
(newbie) Sat 06-Feb-16 11:20:59
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

It seems ridiculous to me that Openreach can't "force" the installation of something better (ideally FTTP).

I don't have to worry that a developer hasn't paid enough to the electricity or water or gas companies (where available) to put in a suitable connection to their networks (or indeed any connection at all). You move in and it's wired up and ready to go.

Broadband should have a similar expectation. If BT already has to go to considerable effort to put in copper, throwing some fibre in too should be fairly straightforward (if it's already in or near an area with existing FTTC/FTTP of course)

Edited by sor (Sat 06-Feb-16 11:21:29)

Standard User olicuk
(learned) Sat 06-Feb-16 11:42:10
Print Post

[re: sor] [link to this post]

Openreach probably aren't allowed to take that tactic even if they wanted to, USO and all that. I'm sure there would need to be a legal change, whether Ofcom or government driven to allow Openreach to say no to only providing POTS, however sensible that seems.

Isn't it time that the government regulates all new developments (>= 5 properties, and certainly any where government backed purchase schemes are available) must have >30mbps broadband provided to every property. The market (Openreach, Virgin, Sky, Gigaclear, Gtc, etc) can all compete, preferably builders will adopt an 'open' or multi-vendor approach like Openreach, or Virgin & a n other, where the customer has a choice of supplier, but they wouldn't have to.

Yesterday's announement is a step in the right direction, and housebuilders are generally starting to get the message anyway, but it sounds like developers still have a way out and it won't surprise me if some continue using it.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 06-Feb-16 12:47:42
Print Post

[re: olicuk] [link to this post]

Until ALL developers have people walking away from good deals citing bad broadband they will continue to sell.

On properties with no electric or water people already just DONT buy (is there a law to say developments have to have those two, plus at least a septic tank?), gas less so, as can use electric or oil/propane options.

Passing any USO at this time is going to be difficult until the outcome of the Ofcom/Openreach decisions, i.e. what form will Openreach be in.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User B31
(member) Sat 06-Feb-16 12:52:59
Print Post

[re: sor] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by sor:
It seems ridiculous to me that Openreach can't "force" the installation of something better (ideally FTTP).

I don't have to worry that a developer hasn't paid enough to the electricity or water or gas companies (where available) to put in a suitable connection to their networks (or indeed any connection at all). You move in and it's wired up and ready to go.

Broadband should have a similar expectation. If BT already has to go to considerable effort to put in copper, throwing some fibre in too should be fairly straightforward (if it's already in or near an area with existing FTTC/FTTP of course)

Well, for my development, there is an IGT charge payable on the gas bills - although you can avoid it by using the bigger energy companies...

BT ADSL customer getting 1.7 Mbps (0.6 Mbps up) on a new road / new build development
CAB not FTTC enabled, not part of the 66% commercial plan. Not rural - no BDUK funding
(Virgin Media nearby)
Standard User bluemoon87
(newbie) Wed 17-Feb-16 23:23:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

A good example of this is in the area I live in, which since 2008 when the planning for new builds started here had the stipulation that fibre was required. however once it came to negotiating with developers some were happy to do it and others weren't and so that was one of the things that was dropped from the initial build. What has happened is that BT have deployed fttp to some parts of the development by specific builders ready for move in and those developments that decided against it are on sub 2mb adsl. Have been told that they will backfill here so not all is lost but it's a delay that could easily have been avoided if councils said this area is going to have this tech, developers stump up and deal with it.
  Print Thread

Jump to