General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User godsell4
(member) Thu 25-Feb-16 14:24:10
Print Post

PoliMapper broadband speeds by Constituency

[link to this post]

Anyone seen this https://constituency-map.politics.co.uk/?dataSetKey=...

and do we know where they get their data from?

PlusNet Unlimited Fibre 3Mb to 5Mb
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 25-Feb-16 20:34:40
Print Post

Re: PoliMapper broadband speeds by Constituency

[re: godsell4] [link to this post]

No idea however the site looks a mess and would suggest instead the more informative ThinkBroadband site http://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local/ where you can check by not only constituency but also post code, London Borough, County, etc. etc.
Standard User ggremlin
(experienced) Thu 25-Feb-16 21:28:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by godsell4:
from their site
as at June 2015 (data from the House of Commons library).
is a bit of a give-away as to where the data is from.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 26-Feb-16 09:31:37
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Can do a web based map just like that if there is a real call, we usually do it as occasional screen shots but is often down voted by critics, so have stuck to the more text based stuff on the public side for now.

One issue can be performance across mobile and desktop

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User godsell4
(member) Sun 28-Feb-16 18:17:15
Print Post

The reason I asked because I am trying to get the kind of data that might wake up my MP and LA that this area is at/near the bottom of the league table for availability of Fibre and/or speeds better than 10, 15 and 30Mb. As this area is being passed over for any Phase2 improvements which seems odd.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 28-Feb-16 22:26:06
Print Post

And the constituency/LA is? https://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local will give you the figures you want

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User godsell4
(member) Mon 29-Feb-16 08:08:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

And on that page where does it show, for example on this page https://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local/index.php?area... that this constituency is number XXX out of 650?

I am very sorry if I am dumb and can not see it or spot where I can deduce this number from the data that is shown.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 29-Feb-16 09:38:42
Print Post

We don't because for very obvious reasons, that ranking will always have some devil in the bottom end, even if they are all in the 98 to 100% region.

Why is the rank so important?

If there was zero work going in on in the majority of constituencies they using ranking to show how progress is climbing up the table might be important, but the roll-outs are so spread out that what tends to happen is positions swap around a little, but areas stay in roughly the same part of the table.

Standard User godsell4
(member) Mon 29-Feb-16 10:43:02
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
... but the roll-outs are so spread out that what tends to happen is positions swap around a little, but areas stay in roughly the same part of the table.

And my hypothesis is that by making it known to the LA's, the MP's and the people in a given area that knowing this rank/position might be the catalyst for them to take action, for example, in the example I gave in North Wiltshire, if you look over Wiltshire as a whole the picture looks pretty good, but there will be specific areas which stand out as being missed out. Should an MP or LA be proud that their location remains at the bottom of that table? Compare this with the schools league tables, the analogy is not perfect maybe, but nobody is proud to be at the bottom and they need to be seen to care about getting out of the bottom of the table.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 29-Feb-16 10:57:03
Print Post

More detailed maps are available on request for proper campaigning though they will sometimes have gaps pictorially - data exists just does not map to the detailed map areas automatically.

To be honest with a national 90% target and North Wiltshire at 70.8% if your MP cannot see the need for more coverage then you have more problems than just a missing rank number.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to