General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Poly_Hive
(newbie) Sun 01-May-16 13:40:50
Print Post

Cottage with unconnected line

[link to this post]

Apologies admins if this is in the wrong forum.

We have bought a cottage in the Scottish borders which has been a holiday home for many years. There is a phone line to it and there is a phone socket on the premises which appears to be from the line.

My query is do we actually need to involve BT in getting ADSL set up or can our chosen provider (jury out on that matter) get us connected by themselves? Fibre has yet to reach us sadly.

Thoughts and or info much appreciated in advance.

PH
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 01-May-16 14:01:07
Print Post

Re: Cottage with unconnected line

[re: Poly_Hive] [link to this post]

You will need to the phone line reconnected before you can get ADSL connected, but that doesn't have to be BT and a number of ISP's can supply a phone service as well.
Standard User TheEulerID
(committed) Sun 01-May-16 14:29:56
Print Post

Just order it from your chosen supplier and the rest will follow automatically. At least in theory. In any event, it doesn't matter who the SP is.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 961a
(member) Sun 01-May-16 15:36:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by Poly_Hive:
We have bought a cottage in the Scottish borders which has been a holiday home for many years. There is a phone line to it and there is a phone socket on the premises which appears to be from the line.

My query is do we actually need to involve BT in getting ADSL set up or can our chosen provider (jury out on that matter) get us connected by themselves?

As a resident of the Scottish Borders who lived at the end of a very long line I would venture the view that getting your phone and broadband up and running may be easier with BT than another supplier

I know all about service from Openreach having to be the same for all, but having to deal with line problems etc via a third party supplier does take longer

You don't give your exchange or postcode which would enable advice on what the options and speeds may be
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 01-May-16 18:41:35
Print Post

[re: 961a] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 961a:
I know all about service from Openreach having to be the same for all, but having to deal with line problems etc via a third party supplier does take longer
That would explain the almost 3 weeks it took a colleague of mine to get BT internet to get BT openreach to sort out his line earlier this year!!

Its a fallacy that BT internet can get better fault service than anyone else, and on some occasions they can be worse as in this case where no one seemed to have ownership of the issue and it took many calls and finally an email to high level complaints to sort out what proved to be a simple cable fault.

My last fault requiring an engineer visit took 3 days from raising a ticket to the appointment date and thats with a small ISP.

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed
VIVACITI 80/20 FTTC
SWPM PCP29 - Still suffering Random drops and intermittent high error counts

BQM - looking better than it has been....

Edited by warweezil (Sun 01-May-16 18:42:16)

Standard User epyon
(experienced) Sun 01-May-16 20:30:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by 961a:
In reply to a post by Poly_Hive:

My query is do we actually need to involve BT in getting ADSL set up or can our chosen provider (jury out on that matter) get us connected by themselves?

Depends on the supplier completely

BT Infinity 2 - 80/20
BT Infinity 2 Speedtest
BT Mobile - 4G
BT Mobile 4G Speedtest
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 01-May-16 20:47:08
Print Post

If you want Sky, Sky can set it up.

If you want talktalk, Talktalk can set it up.

If you want BT, BT can set it up.

It is not the case that everybody who moves into a new house must use BT, that would be unfair.

All providers use BT openreach for faults, so the service should be somewhat equal, but it really boils down to the ISPs customer service (some better than others) at dealing with openreach.
Standard User gah789
(member) Sun 01-May-16 21:55:50
Print Post

Do you really want a phone line and an ADSL service? If so, do you know what kind of download speeds you can expect? The majority of rural properties in the Borders have dire ADSL service - often below the 2 Mbps USC. Don't look at the local authority coverage figures because those are dominated by people living in towns. Check with your neighbours (if you have any) to find out what kind of service they get.

Before making a substantial commitment to a fixed line service you might investigate the alternatives - there are various fixed wireless ISPs, satellite and sometimes coverage is ok for mobile broadband.
Standard User 961a
(member) Mon 02-May-16 09:58:15
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
All providers use BT openreach for faults, so the service should be somewhat equal, but it really boils down to the ISPs customer service (some better than others) at dealing with openreach.

Bingo! Nail hit firmly on the head

And some are worse. Much worse

Some long lines in the Borders need much work. Some, as stated elsewhere, will never get satisfactory brooadband, especially if an old disconnected line has been out of use for several years

In such a case I suggest research exchange and if possible address statistics before even thinking of signing with an ISP
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 02-May-16 12:06:44
Print Post

Not to mention the existing line may be poorly installed. Star wired, no official master socket etc.
  Print Thread

Jump to