General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User woodynet
(newbie) Tue 17-May-16 16:30:39
Print Post

Rural move, ADSL but with FTTC nearby.

[link to this post]

Hi TBB forum users.

Im looking at moving in the very near future and have found a place i like but the rural area means a huge downgrade in internet speeds.

Where i currently live I have been enjoying FTTC for around 3 years with the full 80/20 speed. Before that i had a stable 16mbps on ADSL2+ for years, good ADSL before that and good old dial up before that. So going back to a potential 2-3Mbps at best is a tough choice to make.

The area is Binton, Stratford upon Avon and is served by Welford on Avon Exchange (CMWEL) 2 or 2.5 miles away depending which road you travel by The exchange has Fibre and FTTC cabs are being installed in the welford area currently. For those outside the area connected to CMWEL only ADSL and ADSL MAX are availiable. Speed estimates from the address checker are saying a scary 1 - 3.5 mbps !.
Looks like Binton is planned for superfast according to the local authority info website - http://www.cswbroadband.org.uk/your-area/broadband-c...

The area level is maked as 'Phases now in progress', Property level is showing 'NGA Planned or availiable' for the specific property im looking at. So theres some hope i guess.

My question.
Is it realistic to expect FTTC/FTTP to come to the area in the next 2-3 years or so based on the map in the CSWBB link above?
Please dust of your crystal ball guys and girls and share your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Edited by woodynet (Tue 17-May-16 16:38:04)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 18-May-16 10:04:29
Print Post

Re: Rural move, ADSL but with FTTC nearby.

[re: woodynet] [link to this post]

Crystal balls says cabinet is down for a possible FTTP roll-out - but no bets placed on when this will happen. FTTP roll-outs are sometimes done in stages too, so even once the first premises get it in a cab area, it can be a long time for them to finish.

Best advice is DO NOT move to a property where you cannot already see a connection working at a speed you would be happy with.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 961a
(member) Wed 18-May-16 10:54:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by woodynet:
only ADSL and ADSL MAX are availiable. Speed estimates from the address checker are saying a scary 1 - 3.5 mbps !.

Having lived in a home 4km from the exchange on a rickety old copper line I'd say the first thing to do is to ignore any speed estimates. They are totally meaningless

When we first got broadband at that property the speed was dial up

When we left it was 6mbps

That happened as a result of pestering BT to rectify faults on the long line, ensuring there was a modern faceplate to isolate the broadband from the rest of the house wiring, and finally using a Billion router which could modify the s/n settings from my end rather than having to get the ISP to do it, and which would hang on to the connection rather than allow drop outs as many other routers do

But I must emphasise that when we left the estimate on the address checker was still just 1 - 2 mbps

The only way to see what you will actually get is to ensure you see the current broadband in operation as part of the visit to inspect the property. If the current owner does not have broadband you have a problem which can only really be solved by finding another property

As Mr Saffron wisely says, if it's going to irritate the life out of you every day, don't do it

As for trying to find out when FTTC will arrive, don't bother. Quite often, even when the cabinet is up and running there are no guarantees it will be available to you or, as important, that the distance will not mean it is actually slower than ADSL

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 18-May-16 11:58:21
Print Post

[re: 961a] [link to this post]

If only FTTC (rather than the expected FTTP) goes in depends where the property is, but main part of Binton is 750m to 1000m from cabinet I believe.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 18-May-16 12:07:01
Print Post

FTTP is notoriously slow to deploy, and regularly comes out as the last thing done by any of the BDUK projects, often dropping into and through subsequent projects.

Even once they get going on coverage for a cabinet area, reaching completion is notoriously slow. Completion is something of a nebulous target too, as you never know quite where they will give up.

And once FTTP is near, getting the database updated correctly - so that you can order it - is also a notorious problem. Once you can order, things aren't exactly streamlined either - and you might still face excess construction costs.

Getting FTTP is slow, slow, slow with a chance of never. If you have any need to depend on broadband, then only depend on FTTP once it is installed and running.

Of course, on here, we only tend to hear of the problems. But it seems to suffer more than its fair share.
Standard User woodynet
(newbie) Wed 18-May-16 13:02:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Crystal balls says cabinet is down for a possible FTTP roll-out - but no bets placed on when this will happen. FTTP roll-outs are sometimes done in stages too, so even once the first premises get it in a cab area, it can be a long time for them to finish.

Best advice is DO NOT move to a property where you cannot already see a connection working at a speed you would be happy with.

Thankyou for the reply and additional info MrSaffron.
That gives me a bit more to think about, while FTTP would be nice i have read plenty of forum posts here about problems with deployment.
Would POSSIBLE deployment mean the area has likely not been fully surveyed yet?
How did you find the information on possible FTTP?, i have checked codelook, coolwebhome,samknows and cswbroadband sites and that information was not availiable and i havent been able to locate the local cabinet if there is one as of yet.

Not moving there would be good advice for the connectivity issues, But i really do like the area and the particular property which is quite large for a 2 bedroom house.. Hard choice to make indeed.
Long range wifi to one of the nearbv villages is a potential possibility if i could find someone to host a line and antenna.. (big IF and depends if line of sight is possible.)

In reply to a post by 961a:
In reply to a post by woodynet:
only ADSL and ADSL MAX are availiable. Speed estimates from the address checker are saying a scary 1 - 3.5 mbps !.

Having lived in a home 4km from the exchange on a rickety old copper line I'd say the first thing to do is to ignore any speed estimates. They are totally meaningless

Thanks 961a
Thats good info, having never had poor adsl before and no problems with basic ips supplied hardware i had forgotten about the abilities of some moems/routers to improve reliability and if lucky add a bit more speed to connection.

If only FTTC (rather than the expected FTTP) goes in depends where the property is, but main part of Binton is 750m to 1000m from cabinet I believe.

Its Townsend close (cv37 9uh), which is right at the one end of the village by the social club.
I guess i depends on where openreach bring the fibre into the village, if it came in from the exchange i would possibly be on the end of the run (going by roads). If openreach bring it in from the next village which is Temple grafton (served by bidford on avon exchange) i could be at the start of the run if this is even possible.

If it changed to FTTC could live with being 1000m from the cab if the lines are good. a reliable connection with 20+mbps would do the job for many years to come. Depends where the cab or cabs end up though.

Always a risk it neither could happen at all.

Edited by woodynet (Wed 18-May-16 13:13:15)

Standard User woodynet
(newbie) Wed 18-May-16 13:06:13
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
FTTP is notoriously slow to deploy, and regularly comes out as the last thing done by any of the BDUK projects, often dropping into and through subsequent projects.

Even once they get going on coverage for a cabinet area, reaching completion is notoriously slow. Completion is something of a nebulous target too, as you never know quite where they will give up.

And once FTTP is near, getting the database updated correctly - so that you can order it - is also a notorious problem. Once you can order, things aren't exactly streamlined either - and you might still face excess construction costs.

Getting FTTP is slow, slow, slow with a chance of never. If you have any need to depend on broadband, then only depend on FTTP once it is installed and running.

Of course, on here, we only tend to hear of the problems. But it seems to suffer more than its fair share.

Thankyou WWWombat.
Thats a good summary of some of what i have already read and really gives me something to think long and hard about.
Maybe if the community had enough interest in the service things could happen at a reasonable pace providing there are no major planning or logistics issues.. But that scenario is hopeful at best.

Edited by woodynet (Wed 18-May-16 13:12:21)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 18-May-16 13:23:43
Print Post

Your postcode is around 1.2km from believed location of the cabinet, so VDSL2 more likely to be 10 to 15 Mbps rather than over 20 Mbps. It might hit the 20's but would not like to state that firmly given distances involved.

Cab is thought to be at https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.1774018,-1.7904626... hiding in greenery probably

For me its all too risky people are currently recording 2.8 to 4 Mbps speed tests in Binton

Standard User 961a
(member) Wed 18-May-16 14:10:12
Print Post

That just about sums it up

Don't make your decision on what may happen

Decide on what is available now

From what Mr Saffron says even when fibre is available you may not get Infinity speeds
Standard User woodynet
(newbie) Wed 18-May-16 14:47:35
Print Post

Your postcode is around 1.2km from believed location of the cabinet, so VDSL2 more likely to be 10 to 15 Mbps rather than over 20 Mbps. It might hit the 20's but would not like to state that firmly given distances involved.

Cab is thought to be at https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.1774018,-1.7904626... hiding in greenery probably

For me its all too risky people are currently recording 2.8 to 4 Mbps speed tests in Binton

Thankyou so much MrSaffron, Thats Golden information and gives me a really good idea of what to expect now and in the future.

I had not been able to find the cab/pcp myself on streetview and had spotted the manhole covers at the side of the road and hoped it wasnt where it is..But with the Fttc cab closer to the exchange theres possibly more chance of it happening sooner at the price of lower speeds. Over the bridge into welford theres some works scheduled for what appears to be an fttc cab job. Hope that ones only covering welford as it would be a too far away for half of binton.

I just checked the TBB speedtest results for the area, Did not know about that. Very handy feature.
Lines look to run the way i expected...The longer route! and i would be nearer the end. Around 4mbps is possible on a good line and is better than i expected but still no fun. A Billion or similar router as suggested may help a little too.

A second ADSL line is maybe an option. 2 x 3 - 4mb lines would be something i could live with for a few years if it came to it. Is it really worth it for me though and taking the risk that might be the forever future...

FTTC at 10mbps.. i could live with for as long as the connection was reliable. faster would be a bonus! and 2nd line could be an option again. Likely to happen at some point in a few years.

Fttp would be best option long term, but longest wait, higest potential cost.. might not cover all propertys, probably wont end up happening.

At least i have a clear idea of what id be up against if i did decide to move back to the stone age.
And theres no houses availiable in the surrounding villages with fttc running or coming soon... damn.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to