General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MikeJG
(learned) Fri 01-Jul-16 23:01:06
Print Post

Is point to point broadband a option for me?

[link to this post]

I am thinking about trying a point to point network with a property about 8km away here's a basic pic of what i propose doing http://i.imgur.com/91H1jGS.png? I have a property at point A with BT infinity, could i set up 3 dishes from the house to mine and beam the broadband to my house? I am not sure exactly how fixed wireless broadband works or what dish/antennas i would need, would having 3 antennas/dishes increase the ping? I currently get 0.45Mbps download speed which is shocking, we did try to start a community broadband project, but it didn't seem to lead anywhere. Anyways if anyone has any information or any other ideas please leave a reply.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 02-Jul-16 01:00:46
Print Post

Re: Is point to point broadband a option for me?

[re: MikeJG] [link to this post]

Dragon WiFi do something similar in Wales so might be worth seeing what they do/use kit wise.

8km may mean more expensive kit is needed rather than just a simple Wi-Fi bridge with a dish.

Wireless can be reliable and minimal latency impact with the right kit and combination

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gah789
(member) Sat 02-Jul-16 08:05:53
Print Post

This is pretty straightforward. Lots of people have similar setups over shorter distances to distribute broadband service between buildings or work sites. It would cost about £500 for reasonable equipment, provided two conditions are met:

(a) Clear lines of sight from A (origin) to B (intermediate repeater) and from B to C (end). This includes no trees or other obstructions within 10 metres of the direct line from point to point - read about the Fresnel zone for an explanation.

(b) Access to power at point B. 5 GHz wireless equipment need not use a lot of power but consumption at point B will be 10-15W.

For the link from A to B use Ubiquity PowerBeams at each end - either M5-400s or 5AC-400s (cost ~£90 per unit). The 5AC-400s will give more speed but the firmware on the M5-400s is more reliable. For the link from B to C use NanoStation M5s or NanoBeam 5AC-19s. It is best to keep the system all 5AC or all M5 because M5 units cannot reliably talk to 5AC units.

The advantage of the NanoStation is that it has a built-in switch with Power over Ethernet (PoE) pass-through. This means that the only equipment required at point B would be a PowerBeam and a NanoStation with a cable connection between the units carrying signal and PoE plus one cable from the site providing PoE. Any other combination would require a switch and multiple power/signal cables.

One small but crucial point to note. If you use PoE passthrough on a NanoStation be sure to use the 1A PoE injector. This is not the standard equipment for a NanoStation but is essential when you have to units powered off one PoE injector. All of these items operate at 24V so you must use Ubiquiti PoE kit, not other 802.3af/at stuff you might have around.

All of this is standard repeater design and you will find guidance on setup, etc on the Ubiquiti website - www.ubnt.com. With this equipment you should be able to get speeds of 30-40 Mbps in each direction (not simultaneously)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Sat 02-Jul-16 08:09:18
Print Post

I can't comment on the details etc; but you are going to need FOUR antennae and electronics to turn the corner at the "central" point; unless a suitable reflector is used - but that would increase the RF power requirements at the two end-point houses because of the longer path and losses at the reflector itself..

Have you checked the two "lines of sight" involved, for obstructions - permanent (hills), temporary (grazing animals, vehicles etc) and seasonal (leaves on bushes and trees, snow).

Radio Licences to operate such equipment.

Power supplies.

Permissions from any other land owners/tenants over a fairly long path length; and also access to the intermediate turning point, to erect then maintain.

Security fencing.

No doubt, a lot of other aspects will arise.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 02-Jul-16 11:31:07
Print Post

gah789 has covered most of what you will need to consider.

You will need to talk with Ubiquiti to ensure the ranges can be met with an adequate margin - they will also confirm the validity of any design. The antennas can be very narrow beam, given the distance as any minor misalignment will still leave the receiver in the beam.

As mentioned security at the intermediate point will be an issue - do you know of anyone with a property there? Even if there is a barn you can fit to the end of. For power, you could consider a solar panel and lead acid batteries to provide a 24v supply.

When you check for line of sight, make sure there is plenty of room either side - for example, don't try to skirt a copse of trees - they will grow in all directions, or a house could have an extension added.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Sat 02-Jul-16 12:36:07
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Regarding Beam Widths, physical stability etc-

http://www.rfsworld.com/userfiles/pdf/blowing-in-the...

See the summary in the last section, headed-

"Link reliability check list"

Searched for-

microwave radio link beam width
Standard User radar
(learned) Sat 02-Jul-16 16:17:40
Print Post

These could be used for point to point links.
http://www.tp-link.com/lb/products/details/cat-37_CP...

Each unit is less than £50 from Amazon which would work out at £200 overall.

ZeN
Standard User MikeJG
(learned) Sat 02-Jul-16 18:02:47
Print Post

[re: radar] [link to this post]

Thanks
Standard User MikeJG
(learned) Sat 02-Jul-16 18:19:22
Print Post

[re: gah789] [link to this post]

Found these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubiquiti-Networks-LOCOM5-Na... or I could i use http://www.tp-link.com/lb/products/details/cat-37_CP...

I have been using https://airlink.ubnt.com/#/ to try and suss out positions for the nanostations. I will have to physically go to the middle point and see what the line of sight is like from trees.
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Sat 02-Jul-16 20:45:15
Print Post

Re: Is point to point broadband a option for me? *DELETED*

[re: radar] [link to this post]

Post deleted by eckiedoo
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to