General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User godsell4
(member) Tue 02-Aug-16 11:02:36
Print Post

What grants for Rural Areas are available?

[link to this post]

I have heard of RCBF, but that now seems defunct and has been replaced but I can not find the way to apply or enquire about it.

So what are the options available today? The money would be used as part of an Openreach Community Fibre Project. This is for a location with about 20 to 30 residential properties, 4 to 6 farms, one school and many 2 to 4 person SME's.

What about the Countryside Land Owners Association, do they do anything other than lobby?

Any thoughts welcome.

PlusNet Unlimited Fibre 3Mb to 5Mb
Standard User Fastman2
(committed) Wed 03-Aug-16 17:59:25
Print Post

Re: What grants for Rural Areas are available?

[re: godsell4] [link to this post]

where is the location -- normally operreach CFP will normally need to be private mnies be very surprised if there was any public money grant available
Standard User godsell4
(member) Wed 03-Aug-16 19:08:50
Print Post

[re: Fastman2] [link to this post]

I have sent you a PM with my location, the area although less than 5 mins to a Motorway and surrounded by 4 fibre enabled cabinets has plenty of locations at 3km from the cabinets (+6km to the exchange) so VDSL2 is not available.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bluemoon87
(learned) Wed 03-Aug-16 22:12:34
Print Post

I could have the wrong end of a stick but since there is a school involved it looks like the community fibre partnership may be able to offer a grant.

"As part of the Community Fibre Partnership scheme, BT has made £2m available via a grant for Community Fibre Partnerships that could benefit their local school. This enables communities in the final 5% of the UK not covered by fibre broadband rollout plans to apply for a grant of up to £20,000 toward the cost of their new fibre infrastructure, if that new infrastructure could also serve their local school. So, for example, if the cost for a gap-funded solution that serves a school has been quoted as £23,000, the community would pay £11,500 and £11,500 would be match-funded from the grant."
http://www.communityfibre.bt.com/#register
Standard User godsell4
(member) Thu 04-Aug-16 23:14:56
Print Post

[re: bluemoon87] [link to this post]

Thank you, the way that paragraphs is written makes it sound like have a school to be included in the coverage is required to be able to apply for CFP. But I do not think that is true. Rather, I believe any group of people can apply for CFP and you have to find the money BTO are looking for 'by any means' but if there is a school included, then you may be able to get up to £20K of that covered from that £2m pot.

I think!

Standard User Fastman2
(committed) Fri 05-Aug-16 12:28:50
Print Post

Gdsell you are correct the schools grant is only eligble where there is a school
but the CFP is nor Dependant on a school being part of the scheme
  Print Thread

Jump to