General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ethanmclean
(newbie) Fri 09-Sep-16 22:54:08
Print Post

Laying Fiber directly to property

[link to this post]

I am getting sick of my slow broadband and i am currently looking for a solution to this. I have already considered satellite and mobile/4G broadband but none of these seem to be viable options as i download at least 60GB per month, use streaming services and online gaming. I have been waiting for at least 3 years now to receive a FTTC service from openreach which hasn't happened yet and doesn't seem like it is going to happen for another few years at least. So what i was wondering was that maybe there is some kind of provider out there that will lay a fiber cable anywhere. I'm guessing there is no such thing as i am unable to find anything on the subject.

Also i seem to be experiencing a lot of service outages on my current BT line which can be quite annoying. Most of them only last about 1-2 minutes but some of them last for hours and appear on the major service outage list.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Sat 10-Sep-16 00:15:30
Print Post

Re: Laying Fiber directly to property

[re: ethanmclean] [link to this post]

If there are a few hundred other properties with similar speeds within a few miles then you might have a chance of getting a service at a reasonable price.

Michael Chare
Standard User David_W
(knowledge is power) Sat 10-Sep-16 00:18:04
Print Post

[re: ethanmclean] [link to this post]

The product you are talking about is usually referred to as a "leased line" - there's loads of providers, though you will need to look on sites aimed at business users. The price will be on application - but it's going to be a lot more than satellite or mobile! The installation costs may well be in the tens of thousands range if you are some way from any existing fibre assets. It is very unlikely to be a cost-effective solution for a home user in a "not spot".

People could give better advice if you gave some indication of your location, such as a partial postcode and/or exchange and cabinet number.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User godsell4
(member) Sat 10-Sep-16 12:17:38
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

For a single property, Yes not cost effective, but if shared wirelessly between a few properties it isa good alternative.

PlusNet Unlimited Fibre 3Mb to 5Mb
Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Tue 13-Sep-16 11:21:16
Print Post

[re: godsell4] [link to this post]

Depending on if you are rural or urban, why not ask a Wisp if they would be interested, especially if more than one of you wanted it. One of our local ones is now advertising 160Mb links. I personally pay £30 for 50Gb usage so its not too bad

regards,
Woody (chuntering along in his own inimitable style, using 100 words when 10 would do)
  Print Thread

Jump to