General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Tue 13-Sep-16 16:49:50
Print Post

One less Not-spot

[link to this post]

Our community funded AIO cabinet serving the 75 properties on our central London development in Lambeth SW9 went live this morning. We were previously all EO lines.

It's been a long time coming, the process started in 2012 (thank you Andrew) but the costs at that time were considered to be too high. The decision to proceed was taken in November 2014 as costs were reduced as a result of BT Openreach starting to deploy AIO cabinets. The contract was eventually signed in March 2015. Subsequent delays were partly due to Lambeth who seemed determined to prevent us having decent internet connections.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Tue 13-Sep-16 22:18:52
Print Post

Re: One less Not-spot

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

It has been a journey, hasn't it?

Will you become a case study for Openreach? How to persuade the neighbours? How to persuade the council?
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Tue 13-Sep-16 22:42:42
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

It has been a journey, hasn't it?
It has indeed. At the moment I'm just pleased that we have finally got there. So much so that I have yet to order a new connection!

As for helping others, that's something I'm happy to do although in our case raising the money wasn't too much of a problem once agreement had been reached. This because we pay a service charge to cover maintenance and repairs to the site which we own. The property owners agreed that we should use some of our reserves to fund an AIO rather than relay the setts on some of the roadway that had settled. They felt the less than smooth roadway was quaint preferring instead that money be spent on faster broadband. smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User brandscill
(experienced) Thu 15-Sep-16 12:05:07
Print Post

Good to see the property owners saw sense in what you were doing and were willing to allocate funds. Did you have to top at all? If you don't mind saying what was the total cost?

SSE - 80/20
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Thu 15-Sep-16 12:55:33
Print Post

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

The total cost to us was £18,745.20 which was spread across the 75 properties involved. This was just pennies below the amount for which a Section 20 notice would have been required (£250 per property) which made the process quicker and easier and meant that the possibility of one or two individuals delaying proceedings was avoided. The cost was met in full from our, now diminished, reserves, with no additional surcharge. We have since slightly increased the annual contribution to help rebuild our reserves.

The earlier quotes were in the region of £27-28K (possibly plus VAT, I cannot remember). Hyperoptic also quoted but whilst their higher speeds would have been welcome residents didn't want the external trunking and cabling that would have been involved nor the lack of choice of ISP that going with Hyperoptic would have meant.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Thu 15-Sep-16 16:47:31
Print Post

So how many of the properties will take up the service?

Michael Chare
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Thu 15-Sep-16 17:09:16
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

I have no idea but suspect that it could be 50% or so within the first year. There are over a dozen 4 bed tenanted houses where the tenants are groups or young professionals sharing and currently a number have multiple lines to get sufficient bandwidth. With 50% or so of the properties rented out I suspect that most will upgrade as old tenants move out and new tenants move in. There is significant turnover. Those letting their properties say they had been losing both current and potential tenants due to the poor broadband speeds available. Similarly recent new resident owners have commented about how slow they found their connections to be.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 16-Sep-16 00:11:16
Print Post

Out of interest how slow was your connection? I have seen you posting on here a lot and always assumed you had a fibre optic service of some sorts!
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Fri 16-Sep-16 00:47:42
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Speed varied, much of the time around 8Mbps, currently I'm connected at 9727 Kbps. It was better when I was with Be and could maintain a 3dB SNRM and able to synch at 10-11Mbps. However many others on the development were seeing speeds more in the region of 4Mbps. So never a real not-spot but considerably slower than our neighbours in Lambeth who have long been able to choose between FTTC connections with speeds in excess of 70Mbps and Virgin cable. Virgin's cable passes close to 20 of the properties in the development but Virgin refused to provide a service despite their cable being less than 3m from the front walls of those 20+ properties.

So not a true not-spot but nevertheless we were in the slowest 1% in Lambeth and this has had a negative effect both for those selling their properties and those renting them out.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 16-Sep-16 01:49:39
Print Post

8Mbps is liveable, 4Mbps not so much, in my view. Either way it's not ideal.

Hope you get something nice and speedy now then! smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to