General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MsJinnifer
(newbie) Thu 20-Oct-16 15:34:12
Print Post

Cabinet to fibre to wireless to house

[link to this post]

I'm thinking of making an offer on a house in a Somerset village that is working on getting a faster internet connection. They have got a company (Voneus) who will be providing cable into the village from the fibre-enabled cabinet. That will go to a central wireless transmitter, broadcasting to the houses that are signed up to the scheme. I spoke to someone at Voneus who said they are expecting 50-60 Mbps, to come online in March 2017.
Does anyone here have experience of the company and (in general) is this a reliable kind of technology? What are the potential pitfalls?
If I can't be confident that this will work reliably, I don't want to buy the house! (Current speed is < 1.4 Mbps).
Thanks for any info you can offer.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 20-Oct-16 18:11:34
Print Post

Re: Cabinet to fibre to wireless to house

[re: MsJinnifer] [link to this post]

Not had any dealings with them, and with minimal information on their site impossible to say much beyond cannot spot various things like VAT number, company number, contact address details

Maybe they had these on a previous version of the website, but a lot of the Google deep links are broken suggesting a recent revamp of the website.

Some of their older stuff was satellite based, so confirm what they are offering now in terms of technology, since in some areas there can be satellite connections feeding local wireless networks. Did look for speedtests in one village they were working to 'help' in 2015, but looks like Gigaclear beat them to that area.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MsJinnifer
(newbie) Thu 20-Oct-16 18:45:34
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes the website for Voneus is oddly empty. The man on the phone with me today was clear that they would be laying fibre from the nearest cabinet and then the wireless connection. Not satellite. They have got as far as applying for permission to put the transmitter on a listed building (!) and the people signed up (including the vendor of the house I'm interested in) have a deadline for govt vouchers for the installation required for each of them. I guess it is a bit pot luck whether there is enough bandwidth --hopefully they will have calculated based on the numbers signed up already, but I if it works well loads more people could apply to link up to it. Unless all within wireless reach have already committed...! Hmmm

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 20-Oct-16 18:55:32
Print Post

General rule would apply (and same goes for bigger providers) if its not available to order today, then don't rely on it being available when they say it will be, very easy for roll-outs to get delayed.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MsJinnifer
(newbie) Thu 20-Oct-16 19:01:42
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Mmmm... true! Thanks.
Standard User rogan8
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Oct-16 19:21:02
Print Post

Why lay fibre to the cabinet? Maybe they are going to do FTTP on demand , but that goes to a node which might be next to the cabinet, not the actual cabinet.
Press for more information
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Oct-16 21:49:29
Print Post

These kinds of solutions usually end up quite expensive and rarely unlimited.

In instances where price and usage is reasonable they can become congested & it defeats the purpose.

Given how little you know of the solution I would not rely on it.

In truth wireless is limited spectrum and is not the same as a fixed line service.
Standard User godsell4
(member) Sun 27-Nov-16 14:05:54
Print Post

some evidence Voneus are a real company from http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/11/voneus-...

PlusNet Unlimited Fibre 3Mb to 5Mb
Standard User Fastman2
(committed) Sun 27-Nov-16 18:28:43
Print Post

[re: godsell4] [link to this post]

it will not be from a fibre enabled cabinet
Standard User Fastman2
(committed) Sun 27-Nov-16 18:31:48
Print Post

[re: Fastman2] [link to this post]

The man on the phone with me today was clear that they would be laying fibre from the nearest cabinet and then the wireless connection

that is not correct the only option would from fibre back to nearest aggregation node in the Network -- and that could be s significant distance back form the Cabinet assuming they are even going to use the openreach Network

this sounds very iffy at the lease
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to