General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User darren_geee
(newbie) Mon 24-Oct-16 12:53:44
Print Post

Minishant, Scotland

[link to this post]

Hello,

I live in a small village in south ayrshire where the adsl broadband rarely reaches above 1mbps due to distance from both the exchange and roadside cabinet the village is connected to. A few months ago openreach put up signs saying they was going to be installing a all in one cabinet in the village. Last week we had a openreach engineer to our property due to slow speeds when 2 people was on the internet at the same time i quizzed him about openreach bringing fibre to the village and he said they was running the fibre cables from a different exchange from what we are now.

what im wanting to know is if we are all getting connected to this new cabinet in the village does every house in the village need to be re routed to this new cabinet or do they create a link from the old cabinet to the new cabinet?

If anybody has any details of any roll out plans for my area please could you reply on the openreach fibre checker it says they are laying the cables and doing the box and have seen on the scottish roadworks website that openreach are in the village for 2 weeks soon could this be the cabinet install?

my details are

postcode: KA19 8ET
exchange: alloway (engineer said new cabinet will be run from maybole?)
current cabinet: 11
Standard User rogan8
(knowledge is power) Mon 24-Oct-16 13:54:31
Print Post

Re: Minishant, Scotland

[re: darren_geee] [link to this post]

If they are putting in an all in one then there is no link to the existing PCP. Lines will be diverted, usually from E/O bundles but may include some from the existing PCP. once the lines are diverted to the all in one and the cabinet is ready for service then individual orders can be placed.

Edited by rogan8 (Mon 24-Oct-16 14:02:05)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 24-Oct-16 14:06:53
Print Post

Cabinet 11 may be getting a fibre twin and is located at https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.4100846,-4.625385,...

BUT that is so far from Minishant that adding an additional all in one in Minishant itself does make sense (KA19 8AJ looks like postcode), and is a pattern played out elsewhere.

So those in range for the new all-in-one will most likely be moved over to a new cabinet number instead of cabinet 11.

So probably the work for a new cabinet, but until its live no-one can be sure.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 24-Oct-16 14:08:10
Print Post

[re: rogan8] [link to this post]

No exchange only in this case I believe, but yes lines usually are diverted.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Mon 24-Oct-16 14:13:32
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

is it a long process for getting lines diverted?
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Mon 24-Oct-16 14:23:36
Print Post

Every single instance of an all in one cabinet is unique so that's an impossible question to answer I'm afraid.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 24-Oct-16 14:31:04
Print Post

According to Digital Scotland website, properties in your postcode area will be able to order a fibre based service within the next 5 months, so hopefully by Spring 2017. Its currently in the 'build' stage.

https://www.scotlandsuperfast.com/

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business 80/20
Asus RT-AC5300 with 380.59_HGG-FINAL
My Broadband Quality Monitor
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
(newbie) Sat 29-Oct-16 17:25:17
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

Do they lay the fibre cables before they install the fibre cabinet? there is some markings on the path near where the cabinet is due to be installed that says SP1 with a arrow. anybody know what this is?
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Sat 29-Oct-16 19:58:48
Print Post

Not necessarily the cables. But they need to put ducts in places as part of preparing the base for the cabinet.
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Sun 30-Oct-16 11:20:29
Print Post

It all depends, sometimes the fibre is brought months before the cab is sited, sometimes it's months after.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to