General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User godsell4
(member) Wed 16-Nov-16 07:11:31
Print Post

East Meon waits for 2020

[link to this post]

Wow, glad I am not in this location, looks like they want to wait for the USO to be in force and so want the residents to wait until 2020. Until any plan is even started to provide an upgrade to broadband. So an 18 month OMR then 12 month planning, puts start of a rollout to be starting in 2023.

http://www.petersfieldpost.co.uk/article.cfm?id=109344

The basis for the argument that waiting until 2020 will resolve the problem is " ... by 2020 BT will have made public maps of all their cables and people will be able to connect to them.”

Although a Market A location they do have ADSL2+ available. And many are above 10Mb according to the numbers I have checked.

PlusNet Unlimited Fibre 3Mb to 5Mb

Edited by godsell4 (Wed 16-Nov-16 08:01:27)

Standard User Gadget
(committed) Wed 16-Nov-16 08:42:43
Print Post

Re: East Meon waits for 2020

[re: godsell4] [link to this post]

Reading the link what worries me is the belief that because schools have an internet connection (usually by private circuit) that residents can "tap into them"

“Langrish and East Meon schools have good provision along BT cables, but at the moment BT doesn’t have to say where the cables are. “It could pass houses and the residents wouldn’t know, but by 2020 BT will have made public maps of all their cables and people will be able to connect to them.”
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 16-Nov-16 09:29:12
Print Post

[re: Gadget] [link to this post]

As we all know you just open a pavement chamber and just splice into someone else's dedicated fibre - you just need to know where it is and bingo it uses magic to reach your broadband provider.

The mapping is not about joining onto existing fibre, but is about duct and pole access so providers can play their own roll-outs and make the most efficient use e.g. cross a road in Openreach duct rather than having to disrupt a road with roadworks.

I am certain that by 2020 Ofcom will have made Openreach its own PLC and they'll be well on the way to tens of millions of homes passed by FTTH, with co funding from Sky, TalkTalk and Vodafone and a little from BT Consumer (puts crystal ball away)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 16-Nov-16 10:28:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The mapping is not about joining onto existing fibre, but is about duct and pole access so providers can play their own roll-outs and make the most efficient use e.g. cross a road in Openreach duct rather than having to disrupt a road with roadworks.

Ironically, the mapping exercise isn't to tell people where cables are. It is to tell people where empty space is wink
Standard User somerset
(committed) Wed 16-Nov-16 10:30:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
As we all know you just open a pavement chamber and just splice into someone else's dedicated fibre - you just need to know where it is and bingo it uses magic to reach your broadband provider.

I am certain that by 2020 Ofcom will have made Openreach its own PLC and they'll be well on the way to tens of millions of homes passed by FTTH, with co funding from Sky, TalkTalk and Vodafone and a little from BT Consumer (puts crystal ball away)

Now, who was it that used to keep telling us that???!

HCC say: A few properties [ALL?] in this postcode fall into the last 5% of premises in the UK which are not currently in any plans for superfast broadband.

Edited by somerset (Wed 16-Nov-16 13:13:24)

Standard User Fastman2
(committed) Wed 16-Nov-16 10:47:07
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

more interesting is the person who paid 100k to sort himself out -- you could probably have don the who community for less than that
Standard User Fastman2
(committed) Wed 16-Nov-16 10:49:11
Print Post

Andrew

I am certain that by 2020 Ofcom will have made Openreach its own PLC and they'll be well on the way to tens of millions of homes passed by FTTH, with co funding from Sky, TalkTalk and Vodafone and a little from BT Consumer (puts crystal ball away

which bits unlikey - openreach own plc or sky , talk talk and volda will have invested
because the worse case view would be the former withouth the latter
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 16-Nov-16 10:55:37
Print Post

[re: Fastman2] [link to this post]

I think the bit in question is not that Openreach may be it's own PLC but that doing that would magically make it possible to invest masses of cash into FTTP - it is unlikely to have that big an effect on the business/investment model.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 16-Nov-16 11:53:46
Print Post

[re: Fastman2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Fastman2:
more interesting is the person who paid 100k to sort himself out -- you could probably have don the who community for less than that

Very true.

Presumably he now gets pestered to host an FWA mast for the rest of the village.
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Wed 16-Nov-16 14:49:15
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

WWwombat

Looking at the speed test maps the village isn't that much of a problem. I suspect the whole village can get ADSL2+ speeds over 10Mb

4 test locations with 19.56Mb, 18.91Mb, 17.93Mb & 13.67Mb are shown

Langrish is a different case but only has about 20 properties in total so not likely to be even 'grant based economic' until 10Mb USO forces someones hand to subsidise massively.

So the councillor may be correct on the councils position even if he has his facts incorrect on the fibre/ducts!

I suspect Langrish house ( 3 star hotel) or the Arrk Europe ( Tools manufacturers) are the £100k spenders.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to