General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Fastman2
(experienced) Mon 09-Jan-17 07:48:12
Print Post

Re: Broadband Not Spot discrimination in Birmingham B31

[re: B31] [link to this post]

Question which devdloper is his and are they still on site and what exchange are you referring to -- is there a green box at entrance to rhe development (if thos that a sure sign the developer only ask for voice services and was paid by the infrastructure provider to provide new lines) do you pay any sott of ongoing management fee
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Mon 09-Jan-17 08:29:33
Print Post

[re: Fastman2] [link to this post]

Cabinet 18 serves a lot of postcodes, so it wouldn't just be your small cluster of houses that you could approach to help raise the funding.
Standard User scottypick
(newbie) Mon 09-Jan-17 08:39:14
Print Post

[re: AndyHCZ] [link to this post]

Hi Andy, great note.. I guess we will see over the coming months / years what effect it has. Also the fibre companies have to have a strategy to deal with this and lets face it, Virgin, BT, Vodafone, Talk Talk are not the most agile of businesses. I agree with you on the new build side of things. Its completely unreasonable that 4 years ago in a new development that you wouldn't get fibre broadband. Anyone buying a house 4 years ago was looking into a crystal ball about getting fibre broadband. To be honest its an inherent problem across Birmingham, My offices are in Tyseley and all across that business area and Acocks Green is some of the worse fibre broadband availability for such a densely populated area in the UK. BCC don't help matters at all

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User scottypick
(newbie) Mon 09-Jan-17 08:44:18
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

Hey Matt, We've been trying for 4 years even with the help of our local councillor. Its crazy considering the paths are not in a great state on our road anyway due to severn trent and other utilities. EE isn't great where we are, but Vodafone have just released a consumer 50GB package which will help me limp along but its not a solution based on how much data you need these days.....

Also I cant really use satellite broadband due to the latency, it doesn't work great with Office365 which most of our company services run on.

We just need the council to man up and let Virgin dig the paths up like they have let them do on adjacent roads..
Standard User scottypick
(newbie) Mon 09-Jan-17 08:57:00
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Hi Wombat, Thanks for the response.

I did extensive research but Openreach back then were not committing to detail which cabinets where going to be rolled out when. I saw which cabinets had been popped and worked out how far away that roll out was from our estate.

Openreach are the national monopoly for infrastructure and they absolutely decide where and when infrastructure gets upgraded or not,... They have confirmed to us that they wont upgrade the cabinet based on Virgin Media's local coverage so again your comments are flawed.

We have the skills in my company to put in microwave links and all sorts of other technology, however Legally I'm not prepared to get into a tight situation with someone I don't know on the estate about how they use their internet connection and for what purposes...

Virgin have been given permission by the council to put fibre broadband in on our street only on the basis of recovering the paths, which is crazy considering they let them do it on the next street and also the fact that the council have said the road hasn't been adopted yet, however they are dictating like it already has...

My problem pure and simple is with the council, not Openreach as we have a provider ready to give us services.
Standard User scottypick
(newbie) Mon 09-Jan-17 09:02:33
Print Post

[re: B31] [link to this post]

It would be cheaper to get a local contractor to re-tarmac the paths than go for community funding. Also this is pure discrimination based on what the council let happen on the adjacent road...

Why should people 50 meters away get fibre broadband who are in the same position as us and we cant????
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Jan-17 09:06:22
Print Post

[re: scottypick] [link to this post]

When the council allowed VM to dig up the other road were VM required to relay the footpath? Is it the same type of footpath?

The council appear not to be stopping VM doing the work but require them to make good the path afterwards - the alternative is that other tax payers will ultimately have to pay for any repairs to the path in future if it isn't done to a reasonable standard.
Standard User scottypick
(newbie) Mon 09-Jan-17 09:06:30
Print Post

[re: Fastman2] [link to this post]

HI Fastman,

Our section of the development was finished 4 years ago, the larger development is still going on. Our lines are connected to an old cabinet over half a mile away so there is no way we can get these reassigned or moved.

Openreach have told us because of the Virgin Media coverage locally (both estates) then they wont pop the cabinet for FTTC.

We don't pay any service charges, this is purely Birmingham City Councils fault for discriminating against a street on their lands when they have let similar streets on our estate move to Virgin Media without terms and conditions to re-tarmac the paths...
Standard User scottypick
(newbie) Mon 09-Jan-17 09:10:27
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Hey Ian,

Virgin do not have to recover the footpaths on the adjacent road which is in the same position as ours, that's our main beef which is why I think we are being discriminated against,

Virgin are part of the infrastructure on the adjoining estate, so their ducting...

The council have been blaming everyone but themselves...
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Jan-17 09:18:58
Print Post

[re: scottypick] [link to this post]

When you say "don't have to recover" do you mean they will just leave a trench or that they only have to fill the bit they have dug and not resurface the whole of the path? Have you seen the actual documented requirements on VM for the 2 different works? It would be interesting if the requirements are different to understand why they are different - maybe it is a recent change in policy due to poor workmanship by providers?
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to