General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User NJSS
(regular) Mon 09-Jan-17 09:31:30
Print Post

Broadband Not Spots on new developments.

[re: scottypick] [link to this post]

I am chairman of a local residents' association.

We are very aware of this problem; and whenever we hear of a planning application for a new development we raise the issue of FTTC at a very early stage, and prior to the planning committee considering the planning application.

If there is uncertainty regarding SFB then we would object to the planning application, but in practice have never had to do so, as we have "educated" local councillors in this respect, and provision has been made for both cabinets & ducting prior to roads & footpaths being laid.

We reinforce to developers that SFB is a selling point usually quoting RightMove who say:-

Broadband is ranked as a more important selling point than off-street parking and access to amenities like shops. Even being near that great British love the local boozer is less important than the ability to get online.

NJSS

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 09-Jan-17 10:07:55
Print Post

Re: Broadband Not Spot discrimination in Birmingham B31

Councils wanting paths re-instating is not unusual and suggests council has had past run ins with new networks where paths were left in a state that had residents complaining.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 09-Jan-17 10:09:45
Print Post

Is the road legally adopted or NOT, there is some doubt and a solicitor/similar may need to be engaged to do the full searches on this and find out why there is a delay if any.

NOTE: One classic reason for delay is builder still has ongoing work, or issues with things like quality of road, kerb heights etc

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 09-Jan-17 10:13:29
Print Post

If it is discrimination then take the legal route

Suspect you will find that Virgin Media arrived on some streets because a developer worked with Virgin, and yours did not and may have even tried to charge Virgin Media

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 09-Jan-17 10:14:34
Print Post

So none of the those seniors offered to help in which case its sell up and move

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 09-Jan-17 10:25:16
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

PIA version 1 is already being used by people like WarwickNet for business parks, and some others have made small use of it for doing things like crossing under roads rather than their own dig.

PIA v1 is messy but can be made to work.

The fundamental questions are:
1. Has any one NOT done something they were legally obliged to do?
2. What makes this cluster more important than any other cluster without superfast broadband in the UK?

Ways forward
1. Legally go for council if a solicitor confirms road is solely their responsibility now
2. Community fund the cabinet, or even FTTP from Openreach
3. Move

The rule for others reading this...
DO NOT MOVE to a property unless you can see the broadband working at a speed that is suitable for you. Promises from a developer are not worth the paper they are on, unless you can get a financial penalty built into your purchase.

New developments in 2016 are generally better now, as developers have largely learnt and Openreach/Virgin Media/IFNL are more pro-active for new build.

Standard User Fastman2
(experienced) Mon 09-Jan-17 11:33:24
Print Post

whether it is not - cant help you but if its a small developer they will have only asked for voice and you would have been connected to the nearest avaialbe cabinet - i assume that cab has nott been enabled as it fails the commercial criteria for enablement
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Mon 09-Jan-17 11:56:45
Print Post

Have you petitione?

Also bare in mind that Virgin will probably need to do more than just dig pathways and roads... they'll need to dig on each property too, which has potential for complaints, if you haven't got anything from your neighbours saying they want it then Virgin could be a little skiddish about laying the cables.

The council might feel in a similar way, however Birmingham City Council don't move very fast for anything not making them any cash these days.

Has Richard wrote any letters to you and your neighbours about the broadband issues, it might be worth asking him to to raise awareness and make others in the street see/area understand what they are missing and also what's involved.

Personally I wouldn't find a BT rollout on my area, I would rather give that money to Virgin... why would BT be able to do more than Virgin can anyway 😬

Matt

Connected at home and on the move by Virgin Media.
Standard User B31
(member) Mon 09-Jan-17 12:56:41
Print Post

[re: Fastman2] [link to this post]

It is Linden Homes aka Galliford Try. I've lived here since Summer 2012 - one of the first residents.

I think they left site in 2014, possibly 2015.

The next road down is half LH (built 2012) and half Kier (2015/16?) split down the centre line of the road. Kier worked with VM. LH didn't.

As Scott says, the LH houses on that road now have VM as they dug about 4-5 channels across the road from the Kier side to the VM side, I suspect without the council's permission.

There's no management charges for the estate.

The green box is 0.5 miles away from the estate. I suspect fibre speeds wouldn't be great because of this last 0.5-1 mile stretch of copper.

I believe these were spare lines from the tower blocks demolished c2003.

Paying a tarmac contractor - now that's an idea!!!

Like Scott I chose this development due to affordability reasons - 5% mortgage. I never for one minute thought a new build would come with ADSL only. Even if it was, I was expecting around 7Mbps not 1.5Mbps!

BT ADSL customer getting 3.8 Mbps (0.7 Mbps up) on a new road / new build development
(It was around 1.6 to 1.9 Mbps when I moved in)
CAB not FTTC enabled, not part of the 66% commercial plan. Not a BDUK area. Hoping the council will let VM in-fill.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Mon 09-Jan-17 13:13:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by scottypick:
Hey Matt, We've been trying for 4 years even with the help of our local councillor. Its crazy considering the paths are not in a great state on our road anyway due to severn trent and other utilities.

That would explain the lack of adoption. Roads are supposed to be handed over to Council in good condition. They then spend a year in provisionally adopted status and only become public after a further inspection.

The developer should be resurfacing these pavements to prepare them for adoption.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to