General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User tommyzulu
(newbie) Tue 14-Feb-17 10:58:46
Print Post

Cabinet 4 Usk Exchange

[link to this post]

I am connected to Cabinet 4 on the Usk Exchange and am told I can get FTTC with speeds of typically 35mbps or 70mbps. At present I have ADSL2+ and typicially get 3.4 mbps downstream and 0.7mbps upstream.

My friend down the road is also connected to Cabinet 4 according to the data and gets typically less than 1mbps downstream and has been told that there are NO plans for her connection to be imporved so that she can get a FTTC connection.

That does not seem to make sense to me. Can anyone shed any light on this please?

THANKS

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for one's safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 14-Feb-17 11:04:03
Print Post

Re: Cabinet 4 Usk Exchange

[re: tommyzulu] [link to this post]

All depends on the distance to the cabinet, so without actual location information impossible to say if it looks sensible or not.

Down the road might mean 20m from you, or 2km

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Fastman2
(experienced) Tue 14-Feb-17 12:48:30
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

if 2 km is then out of Distance and don't forget that's the way the cable runs not as the crow flies

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-Feb-17 15:59:00
Print Post

Try this checker to see what actual speed estimates you get:
https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

If the telephone number checker doesn't work, swap to the "address checker", submit just your postcode, then select the address from the drop-down.
Standard User tommyzulu
(newbie) Tue 14-Feb-17 16:55:53
Print Post

[re: Fastman2] [link to this post]

The friend is about 600m further from the cabinet and an on-line look up claims that FTTC is not available for her -- but it is for me --- from the same cabinet!
LLU Both Sky and Talk Talk but neither like her postcode/phone no combination -- but offer me all but full speed --- to the same cabinet.
WHAT IS GOING ON?

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for one's safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions
Standard User WilliamGrimsley
(member) Tue 14-Feb-17 17:20:14
Print Post

Even though she may be connected to the same cabinet, the distance she's at from it could be the issue. There are several places near me that are connected to FTTC cabinets but can't order the service because they're too far from them.

Edited by WilliamGrimsley (Tue 14-Feb-17 17:21:25)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 14-Feb-17 18:24:35
Print Post

If you are on a 35 to 70 Mbps range, then another 600m (and about when people estimate has been seen to be very wrong in the past) puts them into the might be out of range. Without the postcode to see the relative distances impossible to know if this is an error in the checker or a real distance VDSL2 issue

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 15-Feb-17 02:40:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by tommyzulu:
The friend is about 600m further from the cabinet and an on-line look up claims that FTTC is not available for her -- but it is for me --- from the same cabinet!
LLU Both Sky and Talk Talk but neither like her postcode/phone no combination -- but offer me all but full speed --- to the same cabinet.
WHAT IS GOING ON?

Look at your estimate again (and tell us what the A and B ranges are, please). Can you see that the bottom of the table has entries for VDSL multicast and ADSL multicast?

Now look at the friend's entry again... Does that mention "VDSL multicast" too?

If so, that is a typical indication that the cabinet is live, but the house is too far to get service.

If there are other houses between you, you can try their addresses too ... and see how the estimate gradually drops over the 600m.

If you really do have full 80Mbps estimates, then 600m is too short a distance for speed to disappear entirely, unless there's a lot of bad aluminium in use.

If you can see neighbours of your friend's that get valid estimates, then it is also possible that the database is wrong, and you'll need to try to trigger a change.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 15-Feb-17 09:36:31
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

If the poster wants me to look and see if this is a possible error, then can PM the two postcodes and will look at our and Openreach estimates. Generally we say VDSL2 runs out a little earlier than Openreach i.e. playing on the safe side

Print Thread

Jump to