General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Mon 24-Apr-17 23:27:48
Print Post

Cant't even get a voice service

[link to this post]

I was chattering to my sister-in-law this evening and she tells me that she now has new neighbours either side of her.

Now her voice service and FTTC broadband comes from Exchange SUTTERTON and is served by Cabinet 6. Apparently it was originally an EO line but a cabinet to support FTTC was installed outside relatively recently. I guess the cabinet is some way from her home [at PE20 2HZ] is some distance from the cabinet as her FTTC internet speed is quite poor but at least they do have a service to the outside world.

Now to the point of this post. Apparently neither of her new neighbours can be supplied with even a voice service for the foreseeable future. Apparently the exchange has run out of numbers but how true this is I don't know. I wasn't aware that anyone could be in this situation as I thought there was an USO to supply a voice service.

I assume that there are sufficient pairs to get a copper service from the cabinet into these homes. So surely a solution would be to provide a naked FTTC service with a VoIP provision. Thoughts on this anyone?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 24-Apr-17 23:40:27
Print Post

Re: Cant't even get a voice service

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

Since a voip over FTTC is not a standard product from Openreach then its not going to happen until the product teams get to work, and providers agree on what they want from it. None standard CPE (wires only) make it harder for VDSL2, than GEA-FTTP where FVA makes use of the Openreach ONT. SoGEA may well bring this for VDSL2 but its still an on the way thing, with no clear indication of any retailer keen.

Which retailer is the phone service these people trying to order via?

Phone numbers are already a virtual element, so if a pool runs out locally then a code from elsewhere can be used, maybe the neighbours wanted to insist on a specific area code (there was some Bath local press with people complaining about not getting the prestigious local code they thought they would)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 25-Apr-17 00:27:54
Print Post

I did once have a problem getting a phone line installed because there were no spare wires in the cable serving the area. If that is the case here, it is worth checking what compensation BT have to pay if the line is installed late. It used to be quite considerable.

Michael Chare

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User partial
(experienced) Tue 25-Apr-17 11:19:28
Print Post

Highly unlikely to have run out of numbers. More likely to have run out of cable pairs.
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Tue 25-Apr-17 14:30:26
Print Post

Trolleybus

OFCOM control the numbering plan and No area in the country has run out of numbers entirely.

Some areas are "conservation" areas and new number blocks are only issued in 1000s rather than 10000s. In these areas CPs have to pay for the numbers to encourage them to use them efficiently.

It would be more common to run out of Local pairs or Exchange equipment.

If local pairs, as BT has a USO on Voice service,outside of Hull, both neighbours have only to order a service and they will get one provided in due course, If this will cost BT more than x somewhere around £1500 ( I cannot remember the figure but it is freely available) they will get an offer back telling them what the excess is.

As your sister is already served, unless they are a long way from your sister there should be no excess. If they are 700m or more or down a private road excess costs may apply.

If exchange equipment OFCOM would be VERY interested if BT had run out. If they are ordering from a different supplier these do not have to provide service to anyone. If this is the case get them to try a BT wholesale reseller.

Sounds to me like the builder made no contact with BT when building the houses and therefore there will be a wait to connect them up but unless they are very short sighted this should not be for the foreseeable future.
  Print Thread

Jump to