General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User craski
(member) Wed 10-May-17 21:01:20
Print Post

Digital Scotland Better Broadband Scheme unfair practices

[link to this post]

I live in a not spot that doesn't look like it will receive any help from BDUK. I found a solution using Fixed Wireless kit and following several requests from friends and neighbors I am now expanding on that to help others in my area out too. I managed to register with the Digital Scotland Better Broadband Scheme as a supplier so instead of Satellite, others in my area could get the option of a far superior (and cheaper) fixed wireless connection.

Having been assured that I am registered as an approved supplier, we decided to test the system with our first applicant. After several weeks, Digitial Scotland offered him an Avanti satellite connection and nothing else. I smell a rat, the Better broadband Scheme are clearly favoring Avanti despite him having a fixed wireless option available in his post code.

Are they so desperate to push inadequate satellite connections on to end users to improve their satellite installation count statistics that they are employing anti competitive practices to achieve that?

Zen Unlimited Fibre Office BQM

Edited by craski (Wed 10-May-17 21:31:01)

Standard User BranH
(newbie) Thu 08-Jun-17 19:35:51
Print Post

Re: Digital Scotland Better Broadband Scheme unfair practice

[re: craski] [link to this post]

From contact with them, they seem to think the magic answer for rural properties is satellite. Their advisers don't even realise how expensive it is to have a decent amount of data.
Standard User craski
(member) Sat 22-Jul-17 08:27:07
Print Post

[re: BranH] [link to this post]

All sorted now as client has been given a voucher which he can use for a far superior fixed wireless connection. It is still a bit worrying that he was steam rolled through a satellite connection on first application.

Satellite is not the answer, the last three clients I added to our fixed wireless network were actually satellite users all sick of the dismal service and extra data charges (£9 per GB) which the providers dont make obvious. All three are now delighted with their fixed wireless service and have ditched the satellites.

Zen Business FTTC BQM
Talk Talk Business FTTC BQM
IDNET ADSL BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 961a
(member) Sat 22-Jul-17 10:29:43
Print Post

Not in TD11 post code by any chance?
Standard User craski
(member) Sat 22-Jul-17 12:48:12
Print Post

[re: 961a] [link to this post]

No its in AB33 which is one of the many areas being offered free satellite installs which the local authority think is the solution. Having just swapped out 3 in the last week, its pretty obvious satellite doesnt work.

Zen Business FTTC BQM
Talk Talk Business FTTC BQM
IDNET ADSL BQM
Standard User 961a
(member) Sat 22-Jul-17 14:20:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by craski:
No its in AB33 which is one of the many areas being offered free satellite installs which the local authority think is the solution. Having just swapped out 3 in the last week, its pretty obvious satellite doesnt work.

Ah well, worth a try. Thanks for replying

Agree satellite no good for anything except basic minimum use
  Print Thread

Jump to