General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User pipcoo
(newbie) Sun 02-Jul-17 19:21:51
Print Post

Length of line

[link to this post]

Checking my number on AAISP site it says the length of my line is 10921m (estimated) and connected to cabinet 18 Omagh exchange. I know there are cabinets nearer to me although probably still not near enough to get a decent service but wondering why I`m connected to this cabinet and not the nearest one. Also, is my line unusually long or is this common in a rural location ?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 02-Jul-17 22:22:00
Print Post

Re: Length of line

[re: pipcoo] [link to this post]

With a full history of how the wiring appeared over the decades in your area impossible to say for sure.

10km long lines are unusual, but more common in Northern Ireland

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 02-Jul-17 23:48:04
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

At this length I am assuming any kind of broadband is out of the question right. Do providers still offer dial up for these lines?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User pipcoo
(newbie) Mon 03-Jul-17 12:50:55
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
At this length I am assuming any kind of broadband is out of the question right. Do providers still offer dial up for these lines?

Any idea of the possible solutions ? There are about 30 properties along a 2 1/2 mile stretch of road up to my house and more along past my house but all pretty spread out so probably not commercially viable with out some form of subsidy. I use 4G mobile broadband at the moment and it works pretty well but you always have one eye on usage because of the data allowance, so no streaming or big downloads.
I would pay more for unlimited 4G but this is just not available, I suspect mobile companies don`t really want you to use it as a main internet connection. Maybe with the extra money for N.I. broadband recently announced something will happen but I think it will be a while.......
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 03-Jul-17 13:13:20
Print Post

[re: pipcoo] [link to this post]

4G with usage issues
Satellite
Fixed Wireless (some still have usage limits - some do not)

Record for ADSL is around the 10 to 11km mark, but seen maybe 2 verifiable cases of that.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to