General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gah789
(member) Mon 14-Aug-17 12:55:40
Print Post

Re: Scotland - Exchange Activated Broadband... some help ple

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Nobody, not even the team directly responsible, believe that R100 is literally achievable within that time scale. The question is simply how to present reaching 95% or 98% superfast as "meeting" the target without too much flak - maybe lots of satellite dishes. The UK Government's response to BT's USO proposal pretty much scuppers any alternative to BT as the primary R100 contractor as there is little commercial attraction to firm XYZ in offering 30 Mbps via some new network when BT seems likely to provide 10 Mbps on demand via copper. So what is left is all the properties for which the USO cost cap applies.

Even using TV whitespace that is hardly likely to be a viable market and there is no guarantee that the spectrum will be available in time or at reasonable cost. Experimental systems relying upon TV whitespace are not convincing for broadband coverage in remote rural areas. The equipment is far too expensive, channel sizes and cell coverage are too small for high speeds, NLOS is irrelevant when there are hills in the way, etc. Not vapourware but vastly oversold as a mass market product. In practical terms it is much easier to upgrade mobile broadband networks - and no-one believes that is the solution to R100.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 14-Aug-17 14:11:05
Print Post

[re: 961a] [link to this post]

Whether its an idle promise not I was not making comment on, merely passing on observations based on the wording being said...

Will keep tracking coverage changes and fully expect those that have gone for the 'BT is evil lets avoid them approach' will find in time similar issues with other operators once you start scaling up the volume and areas delivered. Also expect more issues like the Gigaclear withdrawal around Bromsgrove when road closures became problematic

Personally very wary of Scottish promises as the wording around fibre and superfast is so messed up that one never really knows what their targets are...

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 961a
(committed) Mon 14-Aug-17 15:29:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The Scottish landscape makes any of these promises pie in the sky which is why I personally would rather they weren't made. Folk on this web site must be fed up with me mouthing off but if the local council, for example, made a promise to fix broadband and then did the easy bit leaving the rest to chunter and this happened again with the Scottish lot & then with the UK lot well, hope you'll understand

I was interested in the guy who got FTTC at a distance of 2 miles from the cabinet and got between 2.5 and 4.5Mbps on a good day. One would guess (or I would, Mr Saffron will know better) that 5 or 6Mbps should be the going rate. I wonder how old the copper cable was and if any maintenance had been done? Surely that variation indicates trouble on the line somewhere?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 14-Aug-17 16:54:59
Print Post

[re: 961a] [link to this post]

2 miles is 3km so only way VDSL2 will run at 2.5 to 4.5 Mbps is if they have thicker copper which some people are lucky to have, plus little or no crosstalk

If asked for VDSL2 speed at 3km answer is 0 Mbps, but might be lucky

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User davief
(newbie) Sat 02-Sep-17 16:02:37
Print Post

[re: rhum] [link to this post]

My local exchange was enabled with fibre just this week. Unfortunately my home is circa 1.7 mile from it so guess what...we wont be getting it.

On doing a bit of research it seems another cabinet is in the design stage - this has the number R3. Does anyone know what the prefix R means in a cabinet number remote (node), rural or what. The other two cabs on the exchange are numbered 1 and 2 so anything by way of info would be appreciated.

On further research I determined that I will still not get fibre even after the cab goes live whereas the neighbours at each side of my house will- these are 2 metres and 5 metres away from me respectively. Confused, I contacted openreach who said that it was not uncommon for there to be an error in the where and when checker especially at such an early stage in the planning of the cab and that I would "probably" be included when the cab goes live.

My exchange is NSCAT, any help appreciated.
Standard User witchunt
(committed) Sat 02-Sep-17 16:53:44
Print Post

[re: davief] [link to this post]

R = rearrangement. It's a temporary designation and will be given a permanent number when the project is finalized.
Rearrangements are done per DP so if your are on the same DP as your neighbors you should be included
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to