General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User don9999
(regular) Tue 25-Jul-17 09:53:38
Print Post

Cwmbran - Newport Road

[link to this post]

Some 5 years after Cwmbran became fibre enabled, there 'may' be progress for my neighbourhood.....
We use Cabinet 83.

Yesterday, there were BT workmen digging a large hole next to the existing cabinet!
Am confident (hopeful?) that this is in preparation for installing the new green fibre cabinet.

(The Superfast Cymru website has been quoting the cabinet as in BUILD status for at least the past 6 months!)

So....how long does it take to install and commission a green fibre cabinet?
I am assuming the rest of this week to install the cabinet, then a month to commission it.

Any ideas how soon I can apply for fibre?

I current have broadband with Sky (about 1.5Mbps tops!) so am going to jump to a sizeable unlimited fibre package as soon as becomes available.
Want to get my order in as soon as possible.....
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 25-Jul-17 09:59:00
Print Post

Re: Cwmbran - Newport Road

[re: don9999] [link to this post]

Sounds like it will be for a fibre cab.

It's not just a case of putting the cab up and it's done.

Fibre will need to be brought to the cab from the node. If there's blocked ducts which needs roadworks etc then this can take months.

Providing power for the cabinet is also the other potential lengthy delay. Again if roadworks/wayleaves etc are needed it can take months, sometimes years.

My cab was installed in February and is only this week having the power connected.

You'll be able to order once the cab is ready for service. You just need to keep checking the Openreach journey tracker.
Standard User don9999
(regular) Tue 25-Jul-17 10:06:25
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

Oh no.....

Well, thanks for the info anyway......

We've been waiting at least 5 years already.....
Thought that it would be relatively soon now....

But it sounds like it could still take 'another' 5 months for it to be ready....

[censored]!

Oh well..nothing much we can do but wait....

In the meantime, I am using a rolling 1 month Vodafone Data SIM. With a TP-Link 4G LTE Router.
Costs £30 (but with cash back is reduced to £12).

Gives me anywhere between 20Mbps and 40Mbs.
But limited to 50Gb per month.

Is a stop-gap solution until I can get proper fibre.....

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 25-Jul-17 10:11:53
Print Post

It all depends. It could be a month, it could be 12. It could be never.

The cab that serves my parents was accepting orders two weeks after the work started. That's an exception rarher than the rule though.

The roadworks notification for your cab mentions nothing about power, so I don't think it'll be up and running within a few weeks.
Standard User don9999
(regular) Tue 01-Aug-17 10:13:35
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

OK, the base was installed last week, and yesterday the actual green cabinet was installed!

The roadworks website describes this work as ' Install 4m of 2 poly ducts in Verge,Provide, Renew or Recover 1 DSLAM street cabinet and base'

There are further road works taking place a few hundred metres down the road, but isn't clear if they are related. The roadworks web site does not have any information about these second roadworks.

Still no idea how long it will be before they are accepting orders.

My current landline/broadband contract ends in late August, so seems like an ideal opportunity to upgrade to fast fibre.
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 01-Aug-17 10:35:07
Print Post

Just have to keep an eye on things.

The roadworks down the way could be related to duct clearing to bring the fibre to the cab.

Could be weeks, months or longer before it's accepting orders.
  Print Thread

Jump to