General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Merlodlliw
(newbie) Tue 01-Aug-17 11:07:50
Print Post

Bwlchgwyn Wrexham

[link to this post]

Since July 13th 2017 I have had problems with broadband my provider is Talk Talk
Exchange name: Wrexham North which is approx. 7 miles away
Cabinet number: 12 approx. 0.5miles away
To give you an example at 8.30 I had no internet & phone line at 9.30 it was working again I ran 4 broadband speed checks
Time Dl UP Weather
9.55 0.9 0.4 clear
10.07 0.1 0.2 Rain
10.12 0.4 0.2 rain
10.16 1.0 0.3 clear
10.45 NO internet raining heavy
10.50 Back on
10.52 0.9 0.3 clear
I have been ringing Talk Talk nearly every day to complain and final they sent out an engineer 28/7/17 who said my equipment was fine and he had increased the speed in the exchange it worked fine until 30/07/17
Time Dl UP Weather
15.36 1.3 0.4 clear
16.00 0.4 0.3 Rain
16.06 0.1 0.3 rain
17.03 0.9 0.3 clear

My neighbours who are 0.25 miles away are with talk talk and their internet connection is slower than mine therefore it has to be a line problem
Talk Talk will not listen, I have been with AOL for over 20 years and I am considering changing my provider but do not know how is the best
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 01-Aug-17 11:20:45
Print Post

Re: Bwlchgwyn Wrexham

[re: Merlodlliw] [link to this post]

The ADSL modem should show figures for actual connection speed and attenuation and noise margin figures how are these varying?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Merlodlliw
(newbie) Tue 01-Aug-17 18:44:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks MrSaffron
Below is what I have copied from Talk Talk Router DSL connection Status
DSL synchronization status:
Up
Connection status:
Showtime
WAN IP Address:
[removed]
Primary DNS Server:
Secondary DNS Server:
79.79.79.80Line Quality

Upstream line rate (kbit/s):
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Upstream interleave depth:
Downstream interleave depth:
Line standard:
ADSL_G.dmt.bis
Upstream line attenuation (dB):
Downstream line attenuation (dB):
Upstream output power (dBm):
Downstream output power (dBm):
Channel type:
Interleaved
DSL up-time:
0 days 7 hours 51 minutes 17 seconds

Thanks

Edited by MrSaffron (Tue 01-Aug-17 20:00:18)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 01-Aug-17 20:04:16
Print Post

[re: Merlodlliw] [link to this post]

So ADSL2+ and its a long line, generally the upstream attenuation is lower for that line length, so its worth checking again at the test socket.

On long lines, the effect of weather can be greater, as the signal is so small and thus any damp entering a joint will have an effect

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 01-Aug-17 20:07:34
Print Post

Full fibre may be available

Check at https://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/when-can-i-g... to see if it says FTTP is available, alas TalkTalk don't sell it, but BT Infinity is available to consumers on lots of cabinet 12 for Wrexham North and this would resolve long line issues, and give you choice of speeds from 38 Mbps through to 300 Mbps.

Standard User Merlodlliw
(newbie) Wed 02-Aug-17 09:56:02
Print Post

Re: Full fibre may be available

Thanks MrSaffron I forgot to say the line from the router is continuously in the test socket. I did ask Talk Talk about fibre but they said it would be a while and when Looked on the BT Infinity page is says " Your area is currently in our plans to be upgraded with Fibre to the Premises (FTTP), however we follow a different design and build process for FTTP so you won't see updates at each stage. When you are able to place orders you will see the Accepting Orders message. In some instances our FTTP plans change. If this happens you will move though the journey stages normally". So it looks like I will have to put up with what I have for a few more months
  Print Thread

Jump to