General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Fabrix2007
(newbie) Wed 09-Aug-17 13:57:00
Print Post

Co-Funding for FTTP BT Community Fibre our only option?

[link to this post]

Hi there,

I live on an Estate called Bridgewater Village in Eccles Manchester. Its a new build Development with 164 Houses on the Estate now been in up for 2 Years. Its recently been finished with the last house being developed but all have no Fibre to the cabinet services to any of the houses as we are so far away from our exchange.

There are no government plans to bring better broadband services to our area when I checked with BT Openreach and Wrote to my local MP who is checking with the CEO of Salford Council and has written to the Houses of Commons Library to seek any advice on what can be done however not heard a response from their letter for over a month now.

BT Openreach Quoted us £22,401 to part fund so that all 164 Houses could get FTTP by building a new cabinet. I set up a crowdfunding page to raise funds but there hasn't been that much uptake so far.

Only over £2000 raised with less than 30 days to go to raise the funds however may see it rise to around £8000 once we do a leaflet drop on the estate soon but still feel we will be short.

Most People on the estate receive intermittent services with different ISP's on the estate ranging from 2.8mb up to 5mb however unreliable or non existent at peak times.

I'm looking for help/advice really.Does anyone know of any grant we can apply for.

I'm acting on behalf of the residents in our estate and it seems as I'm not a company the grants available are very limited. We created a Facebook group page for everyone on the estate to collaborate together on this and other issues which has generated interest in getting something in place.

One person recommended we look down the Fixed Wireless route by a company called 6G Internet that can send fibre by an antenna, only question is this reliable or intermittent.

Any help/advice would be so welcome!!!
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 09-Aug-17 14:12:36
Print Post

Re: Co-Funding for FTTP BT Community Fibre our only option?

[re: Fabrix2007] [link to this post]

Have you approached the devloper to ask for some funding towards it? A story in the local paper may prompt them to put their hands on their pockets.

As you mention a cabinet I suspect it will be FTTC not FTTP.

What sort of demographic do you have on the estate?

Definitely do a letter drop and possible even door to door canvassing. Not everyone has facebook.

If everyone was to chip in it would be less than £140 per household.

You need to really "sell" the benefits of it to those who you want to contribute.
Standard User Fabrix2007
(newbie) Wed 09-Aug-17 14:33:10
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

There's 164 Houses on the estate and no-one really get a great connection. Not everyone will buy into it as its not important to everyone so unlikely we will raise the total funds.

Its FTTP that BT Openreach said they would put into the estate and just for our estate by building a new cabinet.

I think me "selling" is close to being an exhausted model and looking to explore other options and trying to look into fixed wireless models that dont require every single house to chip in to raise over £21,000 funds.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-Aug-17 14:37:29
Print Post

FTTP does not use a cabinet, so you need to check exactly what your estimate was for price wise, running the scheme before the last houses were sold would have been a lot better as you might have been able to get the developer involved i.e. easier to sell houses if good broadband is available, though if all 164 have sold suggests people are not checking before buying. Developers when building do have options for installing full fibre, and this can be via various providers.

WARNING If you are talking about FTTP and raise money and VDSL2 gets installed you might have some angry mislead residents.

Where campaigns work well is where there is a community association already, so a lot of leg work and talking to people might help, e.g. its only £134 per house to raise £22,400.

Not really any specific grants available to do what you want, if the speeds are sub 2 Mbps then the Universal Service Commitment schemes might help.

As for 6G various fixed wireless providers exist and some talk a good talk more than they provide what they say and thus you need to do your research.

NOTE: If people with 5 Mbps connections are finding speeds are non existent at peak times it might be their choice of provider rather than the connection technology, or maybe as with lots of people they are using Wi-Fi which if a tightly packed estate may be congesting due everyone having a wireless router.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-Aug-17 14:38:53
Print Post

The word cabinet and FTTP do not go together...

"Its FTTP that BT Openreach said they would put into the estate and just for our estate by building a new cabinet."

Fibre to the Premises is NOT Fibre to the Cabinet.

£22,401 sounds more like FTTC than FTTP.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Fabrix2007
(newbie) Wed 09-Aug-17 15:16:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The Developers have nothing to do with it as they just put the copper wire down and thats it.

They were never going to invest more as there was never fibre in the area and for them to cough up more money we were on a high road to nowhere.

I have checked the letter and its definitely FTTP as the letter states:

Thank you for asking Openreach to provide a quote to bring fibre broadband to premises in the Chesterfield Close area.

I am pleased to confirm that Openreach is in a position to carry out the provision of FTTP
infrastructure to the premises in Chesterfield Close outlined in the Table 1 annexed. This
means that we will install the FTTP infrastructure to a common point, which will allow the
premises outlined to order an FTTP service from an Internet Service Provider (ISP) if they choose to do so.

The cost of the provision of infrastructure to serve the premises listed is shown below:

£21,402.00

This quote is subject to fibre capacity at the exchange and assumes the premises are a
suitable distance from the distribution point. This will be confirmed at formal survey, which will be undertaken prior to any formal contractual agreement with Openreach.

We will need a Legal Entity (e.g. Residents Group or Managing Agent/Developer) to
contract with Openreach. We will require 50% of funding to be provided on contract
signature; the remaining 50% is paid on completion of works and triggers the cabinet being available for Internet Service Providers (ISPs) to offer service.

Please note:

Any infrastructure provided as part of the Project will remain the property of BT and
will form part of the BT estate

Openreach will take responsibility for all future management and network upgrades
once the infrastructure is installed

A fibre broadband service will need to be purchased by individuals from an ISP. It is
the responsibility of the community to check that their existing ISP offers fibre
broadband. Current providers offering the service are regularly updated at the
following website: http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/for-business/bu...

All premises in Table 1 will be able to purchase an FTTP service from ISPs offering
Fibre to the Premises. The speed will be dependent on the ISP and the product
purchased

This quote is based on private funding only (i.e. excluding any local authority funds
which would require formal procurement and State Aid approval)
While we are unable to take into account external factors (such as Local Authority
Traffic Approvals) the typical timeline for such deployments is approximately 12
months.

With the comment about Fixed Fibre Wireless is the technology from 6G Interent the same as Metronet now M24Seven? The reason i ask is our work uses a similar technology i think and seems fairly reliable in our city offices.
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 09-Aug-17 15:33:49
Print Post

The devlopers have everything to do with it.

They request either copper of fibre from Openreach when they're planning the estate. Openreach simply provide what is asked.

There is not mention of a cabinet. Simply a "common point" which will be an underground chamber.

Given the relatively cheap costings for FTTP there must be fibre nearby and there must not be a great deal of work required to provide the service to the 164 properties.
Standard User Fabrix2007
(newbie) Wed 09-Aug-17 15:47:53
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

Yes but if there was no plans for fibre then why would the developers put down fibre. They put down copper at the time as they do it early in the build i take it. Hence would of been 2014 and at that time there was no fibre services available.

If its not so much work then why are they charging 21,000 for getting it installed. I mean we still have to choose an isp at the end of the day and thats going to cost us if we ever get this installed.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 09-Aug-17 15:53:07
Print Post

£22k for FTTP to 164 properties is a very good price, ie less than £150 per home to future proof their internet connectivity.

In the leaflets, you should make it very clear that's its FULL FIBRE that will be installed to every home (ie none of this 'up to' rubbish where speeds depend on copper line length) with potential speeds of up to 1000Mbps (attractive to homeworkers) and also make clear that FTTP will increase the value of a home, thereby making it more likely that homeowners will dip into their wallets.

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10 running Voxel
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 09-Aug-17 15:53:38
Print Post

I'm not sure you get it. Openreach have been rolling our fibre services since 2009 ish.

The developer approaches Openreach 6-9 months before a spade touches the ground and tells Openreach they're planning to build houses and how many of them. If they say to Openreach, can we have fibre to the homes of all the houses we're building, then Openreach will say yes and they'll provide FTTP.

If the developer simply asks for copper, or doesn't involve Openreach early enough during the process, then Openreach will only provide copper.

£21,000 is a small amount when it comes to provider FTTP to every single home.

There must be existing infrastructure very close by to the new housing estate.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to