General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Fabrix2007
(newbie) Wed 09-Aug-17 16:00:21
Print Post

Re: Co-Funding for FTTP BT Community Fibre our only option?

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

Got you well this just [censored] me off as i feel we will fall short for bringing it to our area.

Bellway Homes obviously haven't planned it properly and its too late now as they will hand over the estate to the council once the roads are properly laid.

Then probabaly throw a section 58 to prevent the street from being dug up within a short while of being resurfaced or reconstructed preventing works for 5 years.

Thanks for the info guys though as it does help.
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 09-Aug-17 16:10:46
Print Post

[re: Fabrix2007] [link to this post]

With it being a new estate there should be ducting to every house. There shouldn't be any need for digging as there'll be footway boxes all through the estate.

I live on a Bellway estate and they were equally rubbish. Thankfully we've just had fibre to the cab installed. You might find that some folk working from home or that run a business from home may be willing to contribute a good chunk.

I considered doing a community funded thing and personally would have been happy to pay a decent amount towards it.

Get flyers written up and go knocking on your neighbours.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-Aug-17 16:32:08
Print Post

If the estate has not been handed over to the council, then there may be a final chance to challenge the developer but it would need co-operation from the council. Its at this time that councils do things like inspect roads/pavements and ask for fixes to bring up to standard - and broadband could be argued in that given a good lawyer, but a good lawyer might cost as much as you all paying for the FTTP.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-Aug-17 16:35:18
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Agreed, now we've seen the BT wording, you need to emphasis that this is full fibre and monthly prices will match the usual Infinity 1 pricing or for those wanting more the faster 300 Mbps option, and in the next year or two Gigabit will become an option.

In short its spend this small amount now to future proof and avoid further problems as people resell properties down the line i.e. sell the problems people will have with resale prices and any private landlords not getting good tenants since there is no decent broadband.

Another sales pitch is working from home and generally once full fibre is up and running it is more reliable.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Fabrix2007
(newbie) Wed 09-Aug-17 17:37:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks,

I dont think they have handed it over as the drains were not deep enough so had to re-dig the manholes out for the drains as the waterboard were not happy with them, typical bellway.

Ill try and do a leaflet run tonight as i will give it one more final push.
Standard User philippercival
(knowledge is power) Thu 10-Aug-17 11:49:28
Print Post

[re: Fabrix2007] [link to this post]

There have been some suggestions above about mentioning the resale value of properties and the ease of selling with a decent high speed connection.

Have you included these in your leaflet as I am sure they will make a difference.

Standard User hvis42
(regular) Thu 10-Aug-17 13:29:56
Print Post

[re: philippercival] [link to this post]

£130 is also peanuts in so many ways.

Another argument could be the ability to use streaming services. I spend £130 in three months to buy box sets from itunes, as my just above 2Mbps ADSL line cannot do streaming in any decent quality. Instead of paying a couple of pounds a month to Netflix I end up buying the same shows for £30 each so that I can download them overnight.
Standard User legume
(experienced) Thu 10-Aug-17 14:11:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by lee111s:
There is not mention of a cabinet. Simply a "common point" which will be an underground chamber.

Given the relatively cheap costings for FTTP there must be fibre nearby and there must not be a great deal of work required to provide the service to the 164 properties.

To be fair to the OP - there is mention of cabinet =

... We will require 50% of funding to be provided on contract
signature; the remaining 50% is paid on completion of works and triggers the cabinet being available for Internet Service Providers (ISPs) to offer service. ...

It is cheap, me being pessamistic would be wary of mention of just one close and double checking there are 164 premises in table 1.

"premises in Chesterfield Close outlined in the Table 1 annexed"
Standard User legume
(experienced) Thu 10-Aug-17 14:18:23
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
In the leaflets, you should make it very clear that's its FULL FIBRE that will be installed to every home (ie none of this 'up to' rubbish where speeds depend on copper line length)

FWIW Openreach do have "up to" in the price list for fttp.

I know it's not for copper reasons, but AIUI PON is 2.4 gig down with potentially 32 way splits so there may well be contention.

I don't know how it is in practice or how OR arrange splits.

Well worth it all the same for the price and as you say future proof in that newer kit on the ends will be able to go faster.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 10-Aug-17 14:38:44
Print Post

[re: legume] [link to this post]

GPON can have up to 128 way splits, but Openreach work on a 32 way split

The up to is also needed as no full fibre provider at consumer pricing offers a 1:1 Committed Information Rate for the speed of connection service they sell.

There is a bit of a 'sales pitch' from some that full fibre will fix the woes of peak time slow downs, and it might but only if providers scale core networks, i.e. peak time slow downs are more due to where bandwidth is shared rather than the xDSL layers.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to