General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User that_munki
(newbie) Thu 14-Sep-17 22:05:36
Print Post

WSBRO - Meeting with OR on 25th/9

[link to this post]

Good evening,

I am a new member to the forum, and have read a lot of information - for which I have been very grateful - thanks to all.

Our village has recently (2016) been upgraded to FTTC, with the highest reported bandwidth at around 20-25mb. There are a number of more rural properties (more than in the village, and I am one) that remain on quite ropey DLS connections - I have 6.5/0.5 (high latency) so not quite a not spot but my older neighbour is struggling with 1mb. We are approx 2-4km from the 'exchange' and we are on EO lines.

(For info: when people drive off the road in the winter they pull the lines down and OR/BT leave them lying on the ground and my own line runs across across a flood plain for about a mile)

We do fall within the 'Highlands and Islands Community Broadband Area' but our community council - which seems to have control over the relationship with that project is largely housed within the core village area - which seems to mean they are unwilling to commit community resources to achieving rural connections using local funds and in cohort with the OR community fibre scheme.

I don't entirely know what I am asking - except for ammunition! and is there a better way that we can find info?

If it's useful here is some real info:

https://imgur.com/a/1Hfd1 - BTW ADSL checker
https://imgur.com/a/tGB5u - info from Codelook
ML12 6QH - real postcode
WSBRO - our exchange

Cheers

Living in a rural community
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 15-Sep-17 09:18:28
Print Post

Re: WSBRO - Meeting with OR on 25th/9

[re: that_munki] [link to this post]

Its not that council is ignoring you, but the public money being spent has value for money clauses, and your less dense populated postcode which is relatively isolated means the cost of delivering better may be more than lots of other village centres across the region...i.e. to help 10 to 15 homes in your location for the same money they may be able to help 30 or more in another village in Scotland.

ML12 6JB is pencilled in for FTTP, and the EO rearrangement and at a guess (and its a guess no inside info, but based on what has been seen in other areas) the EO FTTC cab would go in at the junction of the A701 and B712, so those EO people in your postcode this will lift speeds and may be superfast. The rearrangement MIGHT (and a small might) move the cab 1 people who are not getting a lift now to the new cabinet too.

In terms of ammunition, the Scottish contract as its stands is close to delivering the contract goals so very much reliant on the next contract if there is one.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User brandscill
(experienced) Sun 17-Sep-17 07:44:33
Print Post

My grandad lives down the road from you. Suffers the same issues

SSE - 80/20

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User that_munki
(newbie) Tue 19-Sep-17 06:08:05
Print Post

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

Thanks both, I wouldnt want to give the impression that the CC was ignoring us. More that it is one of those challenges that probably ends up in the 'very difficult - not sure what to do' box!

The meeting will be interesting and I may come back with further info or questions.

Standard User Towerman
(newbie) Tue 19-Sep-17 13:24:46
Print Post

Have you looked into connecting to the Stobo-Dawyck "Stobonet" Community Wireless Broadband network ??

Not sure what their coverage area is, but Stobo / Dawyck is close to you !!
Standard User that_munki
(newbie) Tue 19-Sep-17 19:46:49
Print Post

[re: Towerman] [link to this post]

They currently have a pretty limited area at that end of their valley ... it sounds like the country ... its all line of sight. We are on the other side of a hill - our HIE project is the Borders Community Broadband project and they are supposed to be moving toward procurement.

To some degree, this is why it is a little confusing that OR are turning up for a meeting.

Standard User gah789
(member) Thu 21-Sep-17 15:48:19
Print Post

I set up and manage Stobonet. I am also familiar with circumstances of the area where you live because I have been approached on a couple of occasions about the possibility of extending Stobonet service to cover it. Some brief points.

1. Take any assurances given by BT or Digital Scotland as more a matter of aspiration than of reality.

2. I met with your Community Council some time ago to discuss whether Stobonet could serve part or all of Broughton. No-one was interested on the grounds that BT would provide either FTTC or FTTP service to everyone connected to the exchange. Some years later it is clear that was not quite accurate.

3. Technically we could extend our network to cover you. However, our resources of time and money are limited. On purely commercial grounds, the investment required to build a new relay is not likely to be viable, so the issue is what commitment or sponsorship can be made to cover the cost, which wouldn't be particularly large.

If you are interested, you can send me a PM or contact me via Stobo-Dawyck Community Network or Manor Stobo & Lyne Community Council.
  Print Thread

Jump to