General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User RogerE
(committed) Tue 07-Nov-17 13:47:13
Print Post

How long to wire up a cabinet?

[link to this post]

After years of saying "no chance" openreach installed a new fibre cabinet next to our telephone cabinet, and immediately the Openreach fibre checker changed to "Connecting" with "availability within 4 months.

This was 6 months ago, and, according to some friends who can see exactly what has been happening to the cabinets on their CCTV no-one has even opened the new cabinet, and there have only been a couple of visits by Openreach engineers to the old cabinet.

I would have thought that it was in their interest to get it working ASAP to start getting income from fibre?

Someone has suggested that because most properties connected to it are quite a distance they might be rethinking how to run the fibre from the cabinet.

Anyway still getting on with a pretty constant 1.2Mb whilst waiting!
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 07-Nov-17 14:35:23
Print Post

Re: How long to wire up a cabinet?

[re: RogerE] [link to this post]

I suppose with no useful info within your post, exchange name or cabinet number, for instance, anyone reading your post who might conjure some data is going to be hard pushed to do so.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 07-Nov-17 17:54:20
Print Post

"Someone has suggested that because most properties connected to it are quite a distance they might be rethinking how to run the fibre from the cabinet."

Cabinets were the majority won't get superfast speeds are rare, and would need to know exchange and existing cabinet number to be able to comment more. A lot hinges on exact locations, since if people at 1.5km from the cabinet can only get 1 Mbps now, VDSL2 at 10 Mbps to 15 Mbps would probably be still very welcome.

On the time scales, some have seen cab stood and go live a month or so later and others have waited for years. If keeping a close eye you should see the power network people at some point, as the VDSL2 cabinet needs a mains feed to power it and waiting for that is often an issue that delays things.

NOTE: VDSL2 cabinets arrive on the truck with all the innards in them, so you will not see people spending days and days installing hardware.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 08-Nov-17 07:51:24
Print Post

As Andrew has indicated, once the FTTC Cabinet is functioning, it is very rarely opened.

Our FTTC is located about 10 Metres from our Lounge Window; and similar to your Friends, I can see inside it when opened.

It has now been working and upgrades available for 32 months.

Over that period, it has been opened about half a dozen times, once early on for the Stand-By Batteries to be checked and one possibly replaced, once for additional Filter Links to be added and recently a few times for more link cables to be added.

It is a Huawei 288, capable of providing 288 VDSL upgrades, to its associated much older PCP, with about 287 Phone Lines through it.

When the FTTC was first activated, only 48 Filter-Links were inserted, in the back-plane in the right-hand-side of the FTTC, and two, 100 pair link cables to the PCP.

The 48 Links restricted the possible, immediate working upgrades to 48 out of the 288 potential.

The two link cables restricted the future, easily done, to effectively 96 actual plus easy upgrades.

About 14 months later, 18 months back, another 48 Filter-Links were added, about a 10 minute job; and I was talking to the lad as he did it - he wanted to know the best way to another cabinet.

About 2 months back, another 4 100-pair cables were added, so potentially up to the full 288 potential of the FTTC.

The wiring of those cables to the back-plane took about two days.

I don't know if the Filter-Links to come up to the 288 total were added in that major exercise.

If they have been, then basically only the PCP needs to be opened for future upgrades.

-------------------

As the average actual UK upgrade demand is about 30% per combination of FTTC and PCP, that explains why the relative long period involved.

At present, judging by the few visits to the PCP to carry out the final connections on an individual Order basis, I am doubtful if our FTTC has even reached the 96 intermediate capacity - and that is on estates where every house was pre-wired during build for phone services, reinforced by the speeds I observe on the TBB Broadband Map.
Standard User RogerE
(committed) Sat 11-Nov-17 11:12:39
Print Post

Yesterday an Openreach van and a contractor van were parked alongside the cabinets, and the old one was open, although no sign of real people!

Hopefully something happening...
  Print Thread

Jump to