General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mmb
(newbie) Mon 29-Jan-18 06:31:58
Print Post

Hyperoptic - Project Greenland Dock SE16

[link to this post]

Got a flyer from Hyperoptic last week - looks like they are coming to Brunswick Quay / Greenland Dock - they have a Q & A evening from 4pm to 8pm tomorrow (30th January) at the Docklands Settlements Community Centre Cafe, 400 Salter Road, SE16 5AA - I am hoping to attend and get some more info
Standard User alloneword
(member) Mon 29-Jan-18 11:19:48
Print Post

Re: Hyperoptic - Project Greenland Dock SE16

[re: mmb] [link to this post]

This could be intresting, i have been in contact with someone at Hyper for a while now do they give any names of who will be attending?

All1
Standard User mmb
(newbie) Mon 29-Jan-18 15:00:44
Print Post

[re: alloneword] [link to this post]

No names of who will be attending

I scanned the flyer - here is the link

https://twitter.com/321mmb

Cheers

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User alloneword
(member) Mon 29-Jan-18 15:47:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by mmb:
No names of who will be attending

I scanned the flyer - here is the link

https://twitter.com/321mmb

Cheers

Thanks for that Malcolm, I have been talking to someone i know in Hyper and they will want £240 up front for installation and activation fee, at that price Iíll stay with Relish or move over to FTTP which i had installed a couple of weeks ago.

All1
Standard User mmb
(newbie) Mon 29-Jan-18 22:23:59
Print Post

I think I will go with Hyperoptic due to the lack of any choice, not too keen on Relish being slow between 7 and 11 pm when I use it the most and poor customer service - and I do think the trees in Brunswick Quay wonít help either - spent a lot of money moving the sky dish a couple of times before running out of options and admitting defeat
Standard User alloneword
(member) Mon 29-Jan-18 23:21:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by mmb:
I think I will go with Hyperoptic due to the lack of any choice, not too keen on Relish being slow between 7 and 11 pm when I use it the most and poor customer service - and I do think the trees in Brunswick Quay wonít help either - spent a lot of money moving the sky dish a couple of times before running out of options and admitting defeat
Without knowing your exact location it's hard for me to comment, for me i have to get through a good few trees to get to IOD masts and it works with no issue (except the dead time in the eve) but this is using outside antenna and my own band 42 router, i'm unsure how you would get on with there own router so you may be right.
For me i will be signing up to BT FTTP service i get £65 back via topcashback plus you get a £125 credit card bringing my monthly cost for 18 months down to sub £20 pm.

My only advie to you is try to find out when OpenReach are going to be doing something to your area, i know they are pushing FTTP round this area in a big way, I do have the email address of the guy who runs Openreach and i was lucky to make contact and he moved my FTTP situation on in leaps and bounds it can't hurt to drop him a line, still think i'll go later just to see what is said.

All1
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 29-Jan-18 23:22:13
Print Post

£240 installation and upfront fee sounds wrong, £40 maybe

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mmb
(newbie) Tue 30-Jan-18 06:25:44
Print Post

Thatís the problem BT Openreach have no plans for Brunswick Quay (post code SE16 7PY) Virgin have no plans so Hyperoptic are the only company to offer us a solution. So I think the choice is go with Hyperoptic now or wait until 2020 when BT will have to offer us something. I know as well that Hyperoptic offer a good service and the 150mb download and upload would be great - got a friend to refer me so that is £ 50 off to start with.
Standard User hvis42
(regular) Tue 30-Jan-18 09:15:26
Print Post

First of all... a lump sum of £240 is not a horrible investment considering the time and amount we spend moaning about Rotherhithe internet. I would have handed happily £240 to anyone five years ago if they had been able to solve the problem. The real problem always was there was no one to take the money, without an expensive "community project" that would have cost ten times that much in a building of eight flats, and would have required quite a lot of admin and sales work from residents.

If someone comes and offers you a gigabit connection to replace your slow ADSL or unreliable Relish for £240, I suggest you take it and stop complaining. It is a massive improvement to the burdensome community project approach, and life is too short to wait for Openreach to actually do something they have not considered important enough of doing in the past five years or so.

Having said that, are you absolutely sure they will actually charge that amount? Before our building got Hyperoptic, there was always a mention of this £240 somewhere on their web pages. When it finally became available, they sent everyone who had registered their interest an email stating installation is free. I did not have to pay any installation or activation fees, nor did anyone else in our building.

Edited by hvis42 (Tue 30-Jan-18 09:16:22)

Standard User mmb
(newbie) Tue 30-Jan-18 09:43:06
Print Post

[re: hvis42] [link to this post]

I hopefully will find out more tonight but I think the reason they are charging more is that the format of Brunswick Quay is that it is a mixture of flats and houses - not sure on exact figures but there are around 200 addresses out of which say half are houses and half are flats so the install costs for them will be more than doing a multi story block of flats - on the flyer they say it is a trial expansion so I think it is testing to see how they can expand to more properties with a slightly different business model. My logic is that if I basically right off the install cost then my current monthly cost of £ 34 for Sky / BT getting around 5mb down and about .5mb up for a few pounds more I can get 150mb up and down from a reliable supplier with a good reputation.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to