General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mmb
(newbie) Wed 31-Jan-18 11:16:47
Print Post

Re: Hyperoptic - Project Greenland Dock SE16

[re: Xiv] [link to this post]

Attended the event last night - I was getting information about Brunswick Quay - basically if you live in a house in Brunswick Quay you can get Hyperoptic now as long as the ducts to the property are okay - if you live in a MDU (multiple dwelling unit) which in my case is a block of 5 flats you can't order as yet as they need to check out how they are going to get the cable into the flats. They did say the challenges they are coming across is where the BT ducting has collapsed (probably due to tree roots, etc) they cant put the fibre cable through. I did discuss the install cost but they said that so far in Brunswick Quay they are only supplying it to homes so there is only 1 connection per building hence they can't right off the install cost which is what they normally do on bigger blocks of flats. They also said that they are planning to supply broadband only not a phone service. The sales rep I spoke to said they should have a better idea about the flats within about a month. From the map that I saw it wasn't just Brunswick Quay they are doing. Got my fingers crossed they can sort something out for the flats.
Standard User alloneword
(member) Wed 31-Jan-18 23:21:55
Print Post

[re: hvis42] [link to this post]

Relish will be a big help to vast majority of people but they could gain alot more business if they gave people the option to buy better hardware ie routers with ext antenna sockets will make a huge difference to people who are able to use them.

I'm fully aware OR are to blame for the issue round here and i tried so hard to work with Hyperoptic to gain a foot hold in this area before OR came a knocking (so to speak) but they just would not move quick enough IMO.

I gave my notice to leave Relish yesterday as i booked FTTP up to 52MB Instal fee of £30 and less then £20 a month for £18 months, i know their phone call costs are way OTT but we have mobiles that cover most of our needs apart from calls to Australia so will have to look into that.

IMO it would be way better for Hyperoptic to offer a few levels of service, one would be bit instal fee as they are doing but also give another option of higher line rental with zero install costs, not everyone rounds here owns their own home and have money spare some people i know round her rent their home from private landlords and spend so much of their inocme on rent finding the £240 will be an issue for them.

If nothing else at least something is being done allbeit VERY LATE in the day.

All1
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Thu 01-Feb-18 02:02:10
Print Post

[re: alloneword] [link to this post]

I'm fully aware OR are to blame for the issue round here
Why not the builders who failed to make the necessary arrangements?

There are lots of former brownfield/commercial sites especially in London where connections are on long EO lines. These were more than adequate when landlines were all they were needed for but clearly not suited to modern digital communications. Upgrading circuits and network rearrangement is expensive and BT as a commercial company answerable to its shareholders invests its capital where it can expect a commercial return.

The problem with the former docklands and other brownfield sites is that in the major urban areas such as London, Leeds and Manchester no BDUK funding was available to gap fund upgrades between what was commercially viable and the total cost. So rather than BT you might instead want to criticise the politicians - of all colours - who set up and ran BDUK.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mike_london
(newbie) Fri 09-Feb-18 21:04:26
Print Post

[re: alloneword] [link to this post]

I signed up for 1Gbit service in Brunswick Quay. They pulled the fibre through the BT ducts and into the house. The fibre terminates into the fibre hub inside the property. The service is super-fast with constant up and download speeds of around 900Mbit. Well worth the money.
Standard User mmb
(newbie) Wed 13-Jun-18 11:05:19
Print Post

[re: mike_london] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mike_london:
I signed up for 1Gbit service in Brunswick Quay. They pulled the fibre through the BT ducts and into the house. The fibre terminates into the fibre hub inside the property. The service is super-fast with constant up and download speeds of around 900Mbit. Well worth the money.

They have now put any further installs in Brunswick Quay on hold - "Unfortunately, due to some unforeseen circumstances the project in Brunswick Quay has been put on hold until further notice. We are testing a new technology, which will hopefully allow us to connect you in the nearest future."
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to