General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mmb
(newbie) Mon 29-Jan-18 06:31:58
Print Post

Hyperoptic - Project Greenland Dock SE16

[link to this post]

Got a flyer from Hyperoptic last week - looks like they are coming to Brunswick Quay / Greenland Dock - they have a Q & A evening from 4pm to 8pm tomorrow (30th January) at the Docklands Settlements Community Centre Cafe, 400 Salter Road, SE16 5AA - I am hoping to attend and get some more info
Standard User alloneword
(member) Mon 29-Jan-18 11:19:48
Print Post

Re: Hyperoptic - Project Greenland Dock SE16

[re: mmb] [link to this post]

This could be intresting, i have been in contact with someone at Hyper for a while now do they give any names of who will be attending?

All1
Standard User mmb
(newbie) Mon 29-Jan-18 15:00:44
Print Post

[re: alloneword] [link to this post]

No names of who will be attending

I scanned the flyer - here is the link

https://twitter.com/321mmb

Cheers

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User alloneword
(member) Mon 29-Jan-18 15:47:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by mmb:
No names of who will be attending

I scanned the flyer - here is the link

https://twitter.com/321mmb

Cheers

Thanks for that Malcolm, I have been talking to someone i know in Hyper and they will want £240 up front for installation and activation fee, at that price Iíll stay with Relish or move over to FTTP which i had installed a couple of weeks ago.

All1
Standard User mmb
(newbie) Mon 29-Jan-18 22:23:59
Print Post

I think I will go with Hyperoptic due to the lack of any choice, not too keen on Relish being slow between 7 and 11 pm when I use it the most and poor customer service - and I do think the trees in Brunswick Quay wonít help either - spent a lot of money moving the sky dish a couple of times before running out of options and admitting defeat
Standard User alloneword
(member) Mon 29-Jan-18 23:21:08
Print Post

I think I will go with Hyperoptic due to the lack of any choice, not too keen on Relish being slow between 7 and 11 pm when I use it the most and poor customer service - and I do think the trees in Brunswick Quay wonít help either - spent a lot of money moving the sky dish a couple of times before running out of options and admitting defeat
Without knowing your exact location it's hard for me to comment, for me i have to get through a good few trees to get to IOD masts and it works with no issue (except the dead time in the eve) but this is using outside antenna and my own band 42 router, i'm unsure how you would get on with there own router so you may be right.
For me i will be signing up to BT FTTP service i get £65 back via topcashback plus you get a £125 credit card bringing my monthly cost for 18 months down to sub £20 pm.

My only advie to you is try to find out when OpenReach are going to be doing something to your area, i know they are pushing FTTP round this area in a big way, I do have the email address of the guy who runs Openreach and i was lucky to make contact and he moved my FTTP situation on in leaps and bounds it can't hurt to drop him a line, still think i'll go later just to see what is said.

All1
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 29-Jan-18 23:22:13
Print Post

£240 installation and upfront fee sounds wrong, £40 maybe

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mmb
(newbie) Tue 30-Jan-18 06:25:44
Print Post

Thatís the problem BT Openreach have no plans for Brunswick Quay (post code SE16 7PY) Virgin have no plans so Hyperoptic are the only company to offer us a solution. So I think the choice is go with Hyperoptic now or wait until 2020 when BT will have to offer us something. I know as well that Hyperoptic offer a good service and the 150mb download and upload would be great - got a friend to refer me so that is £ 50 off to start with.
Standard User hvis42
(regular) Tue 30-Jan-18 09:15:26
Print Post

First of all... a lump sum of £240 is not a horrible investment considering the time and amount we spend moaning about Rotherhithe internet. I would have handed happily £240 to anyone five years ago if they had been able to solve the problem. The real problem always was there was no one to take the money, without an expensive "community project" that would have cost ten times that much in a building of eight flats, and would have required quite a lot of admin and sales work from residents.

If someone comes and offers you a gigabit connection to replace your slow ADSL or unreliable Relish for £240, I suggest you take it and stop complaining. It is a massive improvement to the burdensome community project approach, and life is too short to wait for Openreach to actually do something they have not considered important enough of doing in the past five years or so.

Having said that, are you absolutely sure they will actually charge that amount? Before our building got Hyperoptic, there was always a mention of this £240 somewhere on their web pages. When it finally became available, they sent everyone who had registered their interest an email stating installation is free. I did not have to pay any installation or activation fees, nor did anyone else in our building.

Edited by hvis42 (Tue 30-Jan-18 09:16:22)

Standard User mmb
(newbie) Tue 30-Jan-18 09:43:06
Print Post

[re: hvis42] [link to this post]

I hopefully will find out more tonight but I think the reason they are charging more is that the format of Brunswick Quay is that it is a mixture of flats and houses - not sure on exact figures but there are around 200 addresses out of which say half are houses and half are flats so the install costs for them will be more than doing a multi story block of flats - on the flyer they say it is a trial expansion so I think it is testing to see how they can expand to more properties with a slightly different business model. My logic is that if I basically right off the install cost then my current monthly cost of £ 34 for Sky / BT getting around 5mb down and about .5mb up for a few pounds more I can get 150mb up and down from a reliable supplier with a good reputation.
Standard User alloneword
(member) Tue 30-Jan-18 11:29:43
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
£240 installation and upfront fee sounds wrong, £40 maybe
Nope it's £200 instal and £40 activation fee, got this info from their site and making a phone call to them as well
Standard User hvis42
(regular) Tue 30-Jan-18 11:50:56
Print Post

I guess you will see.

Ours was a block of 8 flats done alongside a neighbouring, bigger build (but with equipment present in ours as well), which did not form an ideal business case for them, and they still did not charge any of us £240.

There will always be offers.

As soon as the infrastructure is there and they have done most of their investment, it would make sense to attract as many users as possible to generate revenue.

But £240 is not very much as it will be a "here is £240, can I have one internet tomorrow, please", instead of managing a "community project", where you need to beg money from residents, most of whom will have no intention of contributing anything and who will not understand any of the technology aspects and the concept why they have to pay now so that they can order a more expensive internet connection in 18 months' time.

As I wrote, ours is sorted now, but I would have been happy to pay if someone would have sold me a faster connection for £240. This far there have been no new business models; Openreach do not find upgrading the aluminium EO lines to fibre commercially viable. They do not have anything else but "commercially viable" and a "community project". Some gap funding would be available from residents, but not for a project that will deliver some time next year, when many tenants have already moved away.

I guess those who are not interested in paying anything will then have to wait for Openreach upgrades. My building is still not in any of their plans, and I assume it will take years before anything happens on that front. But registering interest with Hyperoptic does not hurt either, as there might be offers and discounts available as there were for us.
Standard User alloneword
(member) Tue 30-Jan-18 16:07:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by hvis42:
First of all... a lump sum of £240 is not a horrible investment considering the time and amount we spend moaning about Rotherhithe internet.
Depends how you want to look at it, for example not everyone round here has the money for that so for them it will be a problem, i also feel it's an issue on another level and that is how long have we all been paying line rental over the years and in real honesty got sod all for it, we should have had a decent network ages ago and not get into this situation in the first place so i object to it on that basis.

I would have handed happily £240 to anyone five years ago if they had been able to solve the problem.
So would I if i knew it was going to take another 5 years but do you it will take that long? Have you made any contact with OpenReach to see what the deal is for you, i know the line of OR talks to nobody but myself and a few other people on here have contacted Clive Seeley via email? Like you i had been waiting for years and nothing yet within 3 months I have FTTP, i done nothing special just spent a few hours on here looking for info and came across his email address, you could have done the same, might be worth giving it a shot you could be due FTTP deployment in next few weeks on the other hand it may well be years away, if you don't ask you'll never know

If someone comes and offers you a gigabit connection to replace your slow ADSL or unreliable Relish for £240, I suggest you take it and stop complaining.
Number of points here "gigabit connection" well i have had 30mbits with Relish for most of the time i have been with them & I (me personally) will never need that kind of speed i'm fine with 50mbit but i know some will want gigabit speed then good on them, "unreliable Relish" now you are talking a load of rubbish, I mean have you been with them from your location for very long? No i didn't think so. If you look at them as just a way to gain access to the web they have been awesome, i agree peak time in the evening they are slow but i dont normally use the web between 7-10pm so it suits me, there old gemtek routers were rubbish but the new ones are great and no real reports of any issues with them so the "unreliable Relish" comment must be something you read on the web 5 years ago.
When did someone die and make you god? Last time i looked giving my point of view is not "complaining" it's just expressing my POV, last time i checked we were allowed to do this or have you changed the rules?

Openreach to actually do something they have not considered important enough of doing in the past five years or so.
Hell 5 years, I have waited longer then that buddy

Having said that, are you absolutely sure they will actually charge that amount? Before our building got Hyperoptic, there was always a mention of this £240 somewhere on their web pages. When it finally became available, they sent everyone who had registered their interest an email stating installation is free. I did not have to pay any installation or activation fees, nor did anyone else in our building.
I cannot be 100% sure i did ring them yesterday and they did confirm the 240 but maybe they will do special do i can't be sure on that one
Standard User alloneword
(member) Tue 30-Jan-18 16:10:02
Print Post

I hopefully will find out more tonight but I think the reason they are charging more is that the format of Brunswick Quay is that it is a mixture of flats and houses - not sure on exact figures but there are around 200 addresses out of which say half are houses and half are flats so the install costs for them will be more than doing a multi story block of flats - on the flyer they say it is a trial expansion so I think it is testing to see how they can expand to more properties with a slightly different business model. My logic is that if I basically right off the install cost then my current monthly cost of £ 34 for Sky / BT getting around 5mb down and about .5mb up for a few pounds more I can get 150mb up and down from a reliable supplier with a good reputation.
You see i'm only paying £25 a month for line and Relish so if i was paying £35 then it may not seem so bad, be intresting to see what comes out of tonights meeting
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 30-Jan-18 16:13:57
Print Post

If the £240 is correct and as this is part of the trial expansion to standalone premises versus apartments then the price is not that odd.

Gigaclear charge £129.99 plus £100 for an install where the £129.99 covers installing under a distance of 10m, 10 to 35m increases it to £199.99.

The £129 can be avoided I believe if you do the final drop yourself

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mmb
(newbie) Tue 30-Jan-18 16:30:36
Print Post

To be honest I could have got it for less if I took up BT's offer of free broadband for a year but they would only guarantee a speed of around 3mb which is half of what I get right now
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Tue 30-Jan-18 18:19:43
Print Post

wait until 2020 when BT will have to offer us something.
What makes you think that BT or anyone else for that matter will have to offer you something when you have Hyperoptic available? I don't think that the USO, and we still don't have details as to how this will be implemented and which companies will be involved, is intended to give users a choice of services but rather to help those with poor or no access to fast internet speeds can access a faster service.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 30-Jan-18 18:21:32
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

If a supplier is already delivering a USO level service then the USO would not apply, in the exact same way as if you have one phone line already none of the existing telephone USO options apply.

Otherwise the USO would apply to 29 million UK premises

Standard User Xiv
(newbie) Wed 31-Jan-18 08:57:39
Print Post

So did anyone go to the event yesterday? Find anything out?
Standard User hvis42
(regular) Wed 31-Jan-18 10:21:54
Print Post

i also feel it's an issue on another level and that is how long have we all been paying line rental over the years and in real honesty got sod all for it, we should have had a decent network ages ago and not get into this situation in the first place so i object to it on that basis.

Of course you can avenge yourself the inability and unwillingness of OR to invest into the area, but it hardly seems rational. I do understand if £240 is too much financially. In this case, I wonder if Hyperoptic could be persuaded to charging that in instalments over the initial contract period. They might, they are still a smallish company and not everything is carved in stone. Might be worth asking.

So would I if i knew it was going to take another 5 years but do you it will take that long? Have you made any contact with OpenReach to see what the deal is for you,

No, I only know what has happened in the past. From "in scope" it seems to take about a year to be live with FTTC, and I know we are still not even in scope. In some of the council documents I read about a plan to apply for grants in the second half of this year. If this happens and money would be available in Q1 2019, it would then be 2020 before anything happened.

I also know of a recent rearrangement in the area (post code SE16 5NZ), where the shiny new FTTC connection provides less than 30Mbps - probably not suitable for G.Fast upgrade. As the local cabling is aluminium, parts of it is even more rubbish than copper lines usually are. To wait until 2020 and finally see a 3 Mbps ADSL upgraded to 20 Mbps is a real possibility in this area.

Considering all this I do not think a solution available soon that would cost an installation fee but with reasonable monthly payments (£38 for 150/150 service is not bad considering G.Fast providers charge £55 for 150/30) is something we should shun just because it is not "free".

If you are happy with Relish, then by all means stay with Relish. They are planning to install new masts and it might help the congestion a bit. It is not a bad solution for the vast majority of users, if prime time streaming is not too important.

Rotherhithe has been in limbo since FTTC came into existence. OR have not done much of anything there, as the area suffers from many problems. Lack of cabinets, aluminium cabling, cables that meander around docks that once were. UK government decision to exclude London from any residential gap funding initiatives. Openreach community projects have been complicated to run in an area where most of the residents are short and mid term tenants. And because of the local cabling issue, a community project would need to span a relatively small area with few houses, making it more expensive than many are willing to consider.

Now Relish is installing more masts, which is good. Hyperoptic appears to be now also probing a new business model where they would be able to serve others than just the largest buildings. This may or may not attract an installation fee, but even if it is there, for many it will be a life saver. I do not want to stop anyone from "complaining" and making noise about the issue. I will continue to do so even though we managed to solve the problem for us with a bit of initiative.

But I do think that the spearhead of any complaints should be OR and council, not businesses who are actively working on a solution to a very complex and long-lasting problem. The "free" solution still appears to be a long way off for many, and many are willing to contribute financially if the right mechanism is there. It will not suit everyone, nothing probably will, but we should commend them for the attempt and initiative nevertheless, as it is more than anyone else is currently doing in the area.

Edited by hvis42 (Wed 31-Jan-18 10:26:34)

Standard User mmb
(newbie) Wed 31-Jan-18 11:16:47
Print Post

[re: Xiv] [link to this post]

Attended the event last night - I was getting information about Brunswick Quay - basically if you live in a house in Brunswick Quay you can get Hyperoptic now as long as the ducts to the property are okay - if you live in a MDU (multiple dwelling unit) which in my case is a block of 5 flats you can't order as yet as they need to check out how they are going to get the cable into the flats. They did say the challenges they are coming across is where the BT ducting has collapsed (probably due to tree roots, etc) they cant put the fibre cable through. I did discuss the install cost but they said that so far in Brunswick Quay they are only supplying it to homes so there is only 1 connection per building hence they can't right off the install cost which is what they normally do on bigger blocks of flats. They also said that they are planning to supply broadband only not a phone service. The sales rep I spoke to said they should have a better idea about the flats within about a month. From the map that I saw it wasn't just Brunswick Quay they are doing. Got my fingers crossed they can sort something out for the flats.
Standard User alloneword
(member) Wed 31-Jan-18 23:21:55
Print Post

Relish will be a big help to vast majority of people but they could gain alot more business if they gave people the option to buy better hardware ie routers with ext antenna sockets will make a huge difference to people who are able to use them.

I'm fully aware OR are to blame for the issue round here and i tried so hard to work with Hyperoptic to gain a foot hold in this area before OR came a knocking (so to speak) but they just would not move quick enough IMO.

I gave my notice to leave Relish yesterday as i booked FTTP up to 52MB Instal fee of £30 and less then £20 a month for £18 months, i know their phone call costs are way OTT but we have mobiles that cover most of our needs apart from calls to Australia so will have to look into that.

IMO it would be way better for Hyperoptic to offer a few levels of service, one would be bit instal fee as they are doing but also give another option of higher line rental with zero install costs, not everyone rounds here owns their own home and have money spare some people i know round her rent their home from private landlords and spend so much of their inocme on rent finding the £240 will be an issue for them.

If nothing else at least something is being done allbeit VERY LATE in the day.

All1
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Thu 01-Feb-18 02:02:10
Print Post

I'm fully aware OR are to blame for the issue round here
Why not the builders who failed to make the necessary arrangements?

There are lots of former brownfield/commercial sites especially in London where connections are on long EO lines. These were more than adequate when landlines were all they were needed for but clearly not suited to modern digital communications. Upgrading circuits and network rearrangement is expensive and BT as a commercial company answerable to its shareholders invests its capital where it can expect a commercial return.

The problem with the former docklands and other brownfield sites is that in the major urban areas such as London, Leeds and Manchester no BDUK funding was available to gap fund upgrades between what was commercially viable and the total cost. So rather than BT you might instead want to criticise the politicians - of all colours - who set up and ran BDUK.
Standard User mike_london
(newbie) Fri 09-Feb-18 21:04:26
Print Post

I signed up for 1Gbit service in Brunswick Quay. They pulled the fibre through the BT ducts and into the house. The fibre terminates into the fibre hub inside the property. The service is super-fast with constant up and download speeds of around 900Mbit. Well worth the money.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to