General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cddr
(newbie) Mon 19-Feb-18 02:37:07
Print Post

No signs of superfast in Dalkeith

[link to this post]

I moved into a new place in Dalkeith last year. Called up BT who said there was no superfast at that time but it would be coming soon (lol!!!). 11 months later, more capacity is added to an existing box but then I find out that I live >2km away from the box and that even if I order infinity, I still wouldn't get >2-3 Mbps. I spent the last 6 years in the US and before that lived in Glasgow so was utterly unprepared (my bad) for how patchy the internet was going to be if you're even a little bit rural in Scotland.

There's a alt-ISP called Lothian Broadband Networks that seems to do a lot for areas to the South of me but they rely on a line of sight and there's a bunch of trees in the way at the moment. I don't think anything is going to happen until 2020 at least from the likes of BT and Virgin. The cluster of houses nearby is probably not more than 10 which doesn't seem enough to make a community partnership financially viable given the length of copper we'd have to replace ourselves.

So I'm leaving.

But here's my question. What can you do when checking a new address for internet connectivity? On most sites, you have to know the phone number in order to get an estimate of the download/upload speeds you can expect to get at that address. But if you haven't moved into a place, you don't yet know it's phone number.

Edited by cddr (Mon 19-Feb-18 02:40:55)

Standard User witchunt
(committed) Mon 19-Feb-18 07:28:09
Print Post

Re: No signs of superfast in Dalkeith

[re: cddr] [link to this post]

Virtually all the checkers have an address option to search by.
Standard User gmangt4
(regular) Mon 19-Feb-18 08:41:17
Print Post

I use this address checker

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.addres...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Feb-18 09:42:21
Print Post

Which cabinet is Dalkeith are you connected to? Only 53 and 32 with no FTTC - 32 serves a large dispersed area

Cousland is served by cabinet 7 but cabinet is over 2km away

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to