General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zeitgeist
(newbie) Wed 28-Feb-18 00:19:14
Print Post

Post-fault speeds

[link to this post]

How long does line training go on?

I had a BT network fault which included cable replacement. Prior to the fault, my download speeds were consistent around 3 Mb/s. Post fault it was agonisingly slow around 400 kb/s but then jumped a week or so ago to 1.3 Mb/s.

The Openreach guy came round, fitted a new master socket, measured the line, scratched his head, went away down to the street cabinet, apparently swapped over lines between there and the exchange, came back and muttered 'it's a long line' and shrugged his shoulders. And that, apparently is that. Still half the speed it was.

I can only conclude that either the line loss of any new cable is appreciably higher, or, in a more Machiavellian vibe, a company is attempting to "persuade" me to go Fibre - which I intended to do anyway once the fault had been cleared. As the Openreach guy muttered on his way out: 'There have been rumours...'

Thoughts?
Standard User witchunt
(committed) Wed 28-Feb-18 07:37:42
Print Post

Re: Post-fault speeds

[re: zeitgeist] [link to this post]

Router stats?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 28-Feb-18 09:21:58
Print Post

Line training never ends

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zeitgeist
(newbie) Thu 01-Mar-18 16:57:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Line training never ends

There's hope for me yet!

Router stats currently:

Downstream 920 k
Upstream 819 k

Down noise margin 6.4 dB
Up noise margin 5.8 dB

Down Line Attenuation 53.5 dB
Up Line Attenuation 29.3 dB

ADSL2 (G992.3)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 01-Mar-18 17:27:05
Print Post

Target margins suggest there may still be an issue with the line holding you back

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User zeitgeist
(newbie) Thu 01-Mar-18 17:57:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I agree MrSaffron.

Additionally, I suspect the new street cable they put in but the Openreach guy, as I say, just shrugged and said 'It's a long line..'

I did suggest a check at the street pole but he dismissed that. I'm guessing he checked it with a reflectometer?

I'm not sure what else to do short of monitoring the line a little while longer and then badgering them some more.

Although EE sent me a new Modem, I *may* swap it back to my DG834GT and see if I can tweak the 'SNR Percentage'

Edited by zeitgeist (Thu 01-Mar-18 19:27:34)

Standard User zeitgeist
(newbie) Fri 02-Mar-18 16:25:09
Print Post

So today I replace the standard extension socket with a Mk4 'Fibre ready' master socket and got an immediate speed increase although not by much.

Router stats currently:

Downstream 1080 (Kbps)
Upstream 771 (Kbps)

Down noise margin 6.3 dB
Up noise margin 6.2 dB

Down Line Attenuation 52.5 dB
Up Line Attenuation 29.3 dB
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Mar-18 18:12:00
Print Post

Speeds are low for the attenuation, any crackling / popping on the voice side of the line?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 03-Mar-18 08:03:36
Print Post

You mentioned it in your opening post ...

sounds like the engineer has swapped your E side (cab to exch) not all E side cables have the same characteristics for broadband .... this explains the speed loss.

If with BT Broadband, ask them to raise a Boost task, if a different ISP, ask them to raise an SFI task with Openreach .... when the engineer arrives, tell them what’s happened and ask them to check on ‘SEAM’ the line loss calculator, then see if you can be put on a spare/stopped pair in a ‘better range’.

Standard User zeitgeist
(newbie) Sat 03-Mar-18 14:34:12
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
Speeds are low for the attenuation, any crackling / popping on the voice side of the line?

That was, in fact part of the original fault . The line would go from completely dead to good to bad crackling.

Not now post fault.
Standard User zeitgeist
(newbie) Sat 03-Mar-18 14:46:04
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
You mentioned it in your opening post ...

sounds like the engineer has swapped your E side (cab to exch) not all E side cables have the same characteristics for broadband .... this explains the speed loss.

If with BT Broadband, ask them to raise a Boost task, if a different ISP, ask them to raise an SFI task with Openreach .... when the engineer arrives, tell them what’s happened and ask them to check on ‘SEAM’ the line loss calculator, then see if you can be put on a spare/stopped pair in a ‘better range’.

Thanks, very useful tips to go back to the ISP with. More information:

The Openreach guy said he tried several pairs back to the exchange from the cabinet. I don't think that's the problem. I suspect the fault lies with the replaced cable pair between the cabinet and the pole since that is the only link in the chain that has changed. Whether it be poor grade cable or an iffy crimp and yet, he was quick to discount that without physically checking.

I'm not sure what equipment he used but it was three items of diagnostic kit he attached to the line. I should have asked but didn't really want to over-supervise him but give him space to think it through. He did do a double take on the download speed but appeared baffled as to why it should be low.

A few more days monitoring before I make a nuisance of myself with the ISP once more...

PS If the issue is between the cabinet and the pole, it's going to affect Fibre delivery

Edited by zeitgeist (Sat 03-Mar-18 15:56:52)

Standard User zeitgeist
(learned) Tue 06-Mar-18 19:14:47
Print Post

Good news! Openreach are going to check the twisted pair between the cabinet and the pole Friday 9th March
Standard User zeitgeist
(learned) Fri 09-Mar-18 11:24:01
Print Post

Even better news: the same world-weary Openreach engineer showed up and after discussion he agreed to try a new twisted pair in the previous fault zone.

Result - back to the original speeds even though the margins and attenuation stayed roughly the same. He mumbled something about copper and quality - which was basically the same as my initial diagnosis.

Down: 3.685 Mb/s, NM 6.3dB, LA 53 dB

Up 819kb/s, NM 5.8 dB, LA 28.8 dB

It pays to be persistent - and friendly - to the engineer

#caseclosed
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to