General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Marniagni
(newbie) Wed 25-Apr-18 13:33:50
Print Post

Re: Can someone please help me, i have ran out of options

[re: jdigz7] [link to this post]

I have already checked re bonding and it would have been a solution but the company I am working for will not accept is saying that their systems are not compatible.

I have not been wasting time, i have been seeking an answer 14hrs a day. Having checked 3.6 is the max speed anyone can give me. and that has had everything checked . my line is not capable of getting teh speeds i need. NO option for fibre, no option for leased lines, no option for satellite, no option for line bonding. I have exausted all avenues am extremely stressed with it all. Hence my question re teh 2 pair service being upgraded to a 4 pair service whichi have been told is my only option left.

I am not a technical person, but not thick either, its just an area that i havent had the need to explore before. I have been going at this blind and absorbing information as i go reliant upon peoples experience.

And, i thank people of this site that have helped and assisted me so far. Thank you
Standard User TechServ
(newbie) Wed 25-Apr-18 13:48:06
Print Post

[re: Marniagni] [link to this post]

Have you checked with EE using a dedicated Antenna to get a 4G Service?

Enter you postcode here
https://shop.ee.co.uk/broadband

Even if you have no 4G Phone signal you can still get usable 4G Broadband.

Your new employer doesn't understand what bonding is - It would be transparent to their service / applications they require from your connection.

Bonding 2x ADSL lines (ideally from different ISPs) would give you the speed you need, but the cost would be fairly high. PM me and I can provide some details for you.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 25-Apr-18 13:49:24
Print Post

I don't think the "4 pair" option is going to make a blind bit of difference to you - you still haven't said who gave you the advice as that might help us understand what angle they might have been coming from. Better quality copper might have an improvement but BT are 99% sure NOT to do that for you and TalkTalk most definitely won't even try for you because it isn't worth the effort they would expend for a likely non-result.

If you have confirmed that your line is working at the maximum it can (ie through checking stats) and given everything else you have said then it would appear that in your current location you won't be able to get a satisfactory solution.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jdigz7
(member) Wed 25-Apr-18 13:49:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by Marniagni:
I have already checked re bonding and it would have been a solution but the company I am working for will not accept is saying that their systems are not compatible.

I have not been wasting time, i have been seeking an answer 14hrs a day. Having checked 3.6 is the max speed anyone can give me. and that has had everything checked . my line is not capable of getting teh speeds i need. NO option for fibre, no option for leased lines, no option for satellite, no option for line bonding. I have exausted all avenues am extremely stressed with it all. Hence my question re teh 2 pair service being upgraded to a 4 pair service whichi have been told is my only option left.

I am not a technical person, but not thick either, its just an area that i havent had the need to explore before. I have been going at this blind and absorbing information as i go reliant upon peoples experience.

And, i thank people of this site that have helped and assisted me so far. Thank you

I understand but have you tried the test socket and posted the stats for the gentlemen asking?

I say this because there are some very clued up people in this forum who can direct you to issue.

It could be that your line stats indicate that if you go with another ISP who can use other SNR margin's you may squeeze exactly the amount that you need to get to the standards you seek.

Is there no 4G coverage in your area at all even outside? a external aerial could provide something.

Only trying to help.

On the extreme note do you have family/friends in a different village willing to let you move there? On the premise that you get the job then move into your own place afterwards.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 25-Apr-18 13:50:51
Print Post

"Hence my question re teh 2 pair service being upgraded to a 4 pair service whichi have been told is my only option left."

Which sounds like someone has attempted to explain bonding to you and is doing it poorly.

Standard telephone line broadband is a 1 pair service
2 pair service would be what bonding is, i.e. bond two lines together with hardware at your end and the ISP end that would make it behave as if it was a faster single pair.
4 pair service - no idea but you can bond additional pairs.

If the company with the job will not accept bonding then the only solution remaining is to pay for a dedicated line but this takes lots of money and few months so is out of the question.

On the 3.6 - if you are going by checking what providers sites say then while they are usually ball park correct, the actual existing connection speed, attenuation and noise margin figures will give absolute confirmation or reveal that with a little bit of work that a little more can be squeezed out of the line.

e.g. target noise margin may be running at 12dB, but by moving to a service with a lower target margin as standard you might see speeds boosted to above 5 Mbps.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 25-Apr-18 13:52:46
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Is this talk of ‘four pairs’ on about pair bunching, because that doesn’t work for DSL.

Maybe it’s on about an EFM type solution ?

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 25-Apr-18 13:56:00
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Is this talk of ‘four pairs’ on about pair bunching, because that doesn’t work for DSL.

Maybe it’s on about an EFM type solution ?
I have no idea. It sounds like the person giving the advice had overhead a conversation in a pub and grasped on a phrase that they are passing on. Given that no-one here can really make out what the suggestion is then I would be amazed if the people answering the phones at TalkTalk would have any idea whatsoever as I suspect the knowledge on this forum is beyond that of a call centre.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 25-Apr-18 13:58:35
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Maybe the OP should seek a different line of employment ?

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 25-Apr-18 14:01:43
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Given the position with the broadband that seems the most likely outcome. I would hope that the company posted the broadband requirement in the job advert as it would be pretty poor to spring it on someone after interview and job offer - especially if the company aren't willing to finance the install themselves.
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Wed 25-Apr-18 14:21:51
Print Post

4 pair service can only really mean EFM which can only really benefit over short to medium loop lengths. It's also relatively expensive compared to the basic broadband you have and is poorly supported (at least by BT/openreach) .

A 4 wire service could be bonded xDSL or even a 2 pair copper leased line but these are generally limited to 2Mbit\s symmetric so are not a solution either.

In short, unless you can improve your existing connection speed (sorry to be a bore but the line stats really would clear that up) then you really are knackered as you seem to have eliminated other options or possibilities

Edited by witchunt (Wed 25-Apr-18 14:25:08)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to