General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Marniagni
(newbie) Wed 25-Apr-18 19:19:25
Print Post

Re: Can someone please help me, i have ran out of options

[re: 961a] [link to this post]

Yes, I will do.

Thank you very much
Standard User Marniagni
(newbie) Wed 25-Apr-18 19:21:08
Print Post

[re: robertcrowther] [link to this post]

Hi

Could you please give a little more info on what you mean?

Thanks
Standard User jdigz7
(member) Wed 25-Apr-18 19:47:46
Print Post

[re: Marniagni] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Marniagni:
Hi

Could you please give a little more info on what you mean?

Thanks

Think he means you won't need that much data. Impossible to predict what you will need though but if you are using it only for work and the VOIP part i'm guessing it wont be too much.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User robertcrowther
(committed) Wed 25-Apr-18 19:50:01
Print Post

Lets put it this way, they may promise to pay you well (but it won't pay as much as you think). This will lead you to pay out a lot of money for not much return and for what you are doing it should be fine on the connection you have and is not worth paying out £60 per month extra.

I have asked my brother about this and he said that he was able to work on a 1 meg ADSL line while doing the job. So if the company you are going to work for is legit I would ask them to justify why the minimum speed?
(committed) Wed 25-Apr-18 19:53:20
Print Post

[re: jdigz7] [link to this post]

Having VOIP on a 4G connection could be risky with dropouts in this instance as it could be commission based work (not very good if calls keep getting dropped as it would be mean lost commission).
Standard User Marniagni
(newbie) Wed 25-Apr-18 20:09:40
Print Post

[re: jdigz7] [link to this post]

I would think he is probably referring to a travel agent as opposed to a Tour operator.

I used to work from home on a standard broadband for a travel agent which was fine. However working for one of the large Tour operators which I shall be doing is different. I am concerned that I wont actually have enough with 200gb but if this is my only option I will have to take it. As someone else said, I will check the cost for additional data which I hope I wont need. But I think I am better just taking a chance and seeing what I use in that first month and gauge it from there. At least it will enable me some time, and be able to achieve the initial speed requests that they have asked for.
Standard User Marniagni
(newbie) Wed 25-Apr-18 20:16:50
Print Post

I understand what you are saying. As I have said to another user I have worked from home in travel using standard broadband fine before and been fine. So I assume your brother is working for a similar travel agent. However this is for a major Tour operator, So there is the difference re what is required.
Standard User Realalemadrid
(member) Wed 25-Apr-18 20:55:54
Print Post

You have not really helped your situation because at no point in this thread have you provided:-

1) Any indication of your estimated broadband speeds from the BT wholesale checker which would require you to use the address option as I presume you are on a TalkTalk phone line.

This would at least give a ball park figure for expected speeds but it can often be very conservative, on my ADSL line the checker gave figures of around 4 to 5 Mbps but I always achieved the full ADSL Max sync of over 8Mbps

2) Line stats from your Modem/Router when connected to the test socket - this is the crucial test to determine what your line is able to achieve.

As for you so called solution of a 4G connection, the price is extortionate.

Also I cannot believe any reputable company would attempt to enforce such requirements for your Broadband connection which is actually not under your control. If they have certain requirements the company should be paying to provide the connection.
(committed) Wed 25-Apr-18 21:20:28
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

Something doesn't smell right here. As you've pointed out and others have done so as well that the OP is very reluctant to provide any details.

They have also said that the job is with a major Tour operator. If this was the case then what they have posted on this thread is complete rubbish as all major tour operators will pay for their home workers internet connection if need be.

My only conclusion is either they are being scammed or they are not telling the truth on this thread.
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Wed 25-Apr-18 22:31:32
Print Post

The total refusal of the OP to provide any information relating to their current connection despite repeated requests is fishy at best.
My only conclusion is either they are being scammed or they are not telling the truth on this thread.
+1
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to