General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 25-Apr-18 22:38:09
Print Post

Re: Can someone please help me, i have ran out of options

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

This is something that has been bugging me for a while too

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User alwall
(member) Thu 26-Apr-18 08:10:21
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Well well Andrew.
Just look at this !

Is there a clue offered in posts #6 to #8?

BTBroadband
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 26-Apr-18 09:08:37
Print Post

[re: alwall] [link to this post]

And this was quoted by the OP earlier in the thread
Unable to get 4g, no mobile signal & submitting from another address not a solution
If they can't get 4G then they can't get a decent broadband speed over 4G - so what has magically changed that means their emphatic statement is now overridden?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TechServ
(newbie) Thu 26-Apr-18 09:56:04
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Being unable to get 4G on a mobile phone or tablet, is very different to obtaining a stable 4G Broadband service using a decent external antenna and a LTE Router.

EE now offer this as a dedicated product, if their mapping via NEST says you can get a service, it is pretty accurate.

If the OP is willing and able to pay £60 per month, regardless of anyones view on the unknown nature of the employer or the job, that is their choice.

200GB allowance is way more than adequate for 8-9 hours a day of VoIP & Browsing use for employment. If the OP wanted to use the same connection for streaming box sets all evening, they could always buy a 2nd SIM rather than paying premium topups

Should employers contribute to the cost - yes. Are they in this case? Its not relevant!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 26-Apr-18 10:04:37
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

There are some limited situations where 4G with external antenna on the eaves of a property will get a signal when a mobile handset with another operator will not.

But if they have a decent mobile with EE now and cannot get any 4G signal when stood at their open upstairs windows, then I'd say chances of a good 4G using external antenna is small

I'm actually more concerned about the job aspect than the broadband, as in the poster is at risk and interesting that two forums seem to have come to that conclusion.

For the original poster the usual way for firms to do connectivity for home workers is for the company to pay for it, which puts them in control, particularly over things customer data since they can have end to end control.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Malwaremike
(committed) Thu 26-Apr-18 12:11:35
Print Post

[re: Marniagni] [link to this post]

As I wrote earlier, I'm a non-techie, but I do know something about scams. Maybe your job offer is on the level, but anything involving home working makes me very, very suspicious. Especially when someone is asked to commit/invest up front.
Standard User robertcrowther
(committed) Thu 26-Apr-18 12:23:22
Print Post

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

Something tells me we won't have any more responses from the OP as by the looks of it that's what they did on the other forum when people started to question it.
Standard User TechServ
(newbie) Fri 27-Apr-18 09:31:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I'd have to disagree - I used to work for a company installing 4G, personally I carried out 1200+ site surveys in that time - yes many you could get 4G on a phone externally without any issue, but actually there were only less than 15 sites we couldn't obtain a suitable connection, and in all but 5 of those there were solutions, mainly involving remotely located 4G systems linked back to the main building.

As a rough guess around 20-25% of surveyed properties had no 4G phone signal externally, what you have to remember is that the thresholds for switching from 4G > 2G for a phone to maintain a voice service is very different. With a correctly setup LTE Router you can maintain a 4G connection within the ideal parameters to lock to 4G services and maintain a stable connection.

It is about understanding the interaction between RSRP & SNR Margin data plus seasonal variation. Get that right and you can enjoy a stable, low latency high speed service even in cell edge conditions, get it wrong and you just have a flaky connection.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to