General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Earlgrey
(newbie) Fri 27-Apr-18 12:04:52
Print Post

Wait for USO?

[link to this post]

So i made the mistake of buying a New Build thinking that it would have Fibre, oh how wrong i was.

Anyway i subsequently inquired with openreach about it last year and found that, the Developer Requested voice only, the Request predated openreach's commitment for Fibre in New Builds by 6 months and the Development is outside of Digital Derbyshire's Intervention area. Other than some advice about Communuty fibre partnerships and that Openreach are always reviewing their plans, and that was that.

When i saw the FIbre First Initiative announced i thought i'd check again as things might have changed. openreach did to their credit go to the developer and offer a Gap Funding deal, which was ignored by the sounds of it. And so i'm left with a Broadly (until a dodgy router caused DLM to kick in) stable 4.5 down ADSL line.

As far as i can see i have Four options left to me:

Hope a WISP or Altnet appears (no Virgin in the immediate surrounding area, the topography makes WISP unlikely as it would need new infrastructure and the area is otherwise well covered by FTTC - same argument would apply to Altnets)

Deal with it and get on with my life

Community fibre partnership ( i did look into it but most of the immediately neighboring properties are rented which doesnt help, it would be nice if i could pay for a survey ala FTTPoD to see what the cost would be £25 - 30k+ would be a struggle 10K is easier to afford, sadly there's no Schools or Businesses nearby and the speeds fast enough to no count for Better Broadband subsidy)

Wait and see what USO brings (doing a CFP, raising money and with the install probably taking place in mid to late 2019 only to Find USO would have led to the same infrastructure being isntalled would be annoying to say the least, the risk is USO says you have satellite or shut up and go away)

What would everyone suggest?

To make thing's more entertaining G.Fast Pods are cropping up all over Shirebrook's surprisingly through FTTC footprint, not that any are live yet.

Cabinet is Cab 21 Shirebrook Exchange
Development is Keepmoat's Meadow View - NG20 8FZ
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 28-Apr-18 10:25:38
Print Post

Re: Wait for USO?

[re: Earlgrey] [link to this post]

If developer has ignored options and still premises for them to sell, then lots of local press about poor situation on estate might make them change their mind particularly if looking at further build in the future, getting councillors on board and anything that will turn up in property searches are what may shame a developer into helping.

The USO might be here in 2020 (given lack of info a early 2020 seems to be slipping away) and even then if to give you USO levels a cabinet was added probably looking at a year to do.

So when considering options if you start now you would two years ahead still.

A FoD order is not currently possible since you don't have a live VDSL2 cabinet and distance is going to be over 1km for that build so in the high end. A cabinet at £25 to 30k is probably the ball park

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Earlgrey
(newbie) Mon 30-Apr-18 08:20:21
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

That could be worth a shot, it's still in phase 1 of 6 with a couple hundred houses left to build.

I was sort of hoping USO might shape openreach's thinking in the sense of connecting 150 houses now so the few hundred can be done at the time of construction rather than being forced by USO to do more expensive street works, even with nice new chambers and ducting some will need unblocking most likely. Of course the risk with USO is they could turnaround and say that it will have to be satellite...

I wasn't thinking of FoD as such just being able to pay for the survey like the new FoD stage two. just so i would know the cost before trying to get signatures and possibly peoples hopes up.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 30-Apr-18 11:48:00
Print Post

If in construction then its private land and Openreach are having to work with a developer i.e. code powers to install things like a VDSL2 cabinet are not in force.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Mon 30-Apr-18 12:09:30
Print Post

As the developer still has plenty of houses to sell, they will almost certainly fund a FTTC cabinet if they realise the lack of fast broadband is affecting their sales. Money talks!!

Best way to pressure the developer is to let potential house buyers know of the situation. You could do this by putting up a poster in your front window letting others know what you think of your current speeds or if you' want to be really bold then get one of these to get your message across. The latter might seem a drastic solution but if the developer isn't cooperating with you through normal channels then you may not have any other option...

Good luck! smile

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User Earlgrey
(newbie) Wed 02-May-18 07:31:04
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

The advertising truck might be a bit extreme initially smile , but window signs and a banner on the roundabout as you drive in could work. In fact the cabinet is right in front of the sales office as you drive into site, so something near there might get their attention.

I'm sure i saw something about Faster broadband adding up to £6k in value, i wonder if i can find whoever openreach's relationship manager was taking to and keep the pressure on them.
Standard User Earlgrey
(newbie) Wed 02-May-18 07:34:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If in construction then its private land and Openreach are having to work with a developer i.e. code powers to install things like a VDSL2 cabinet are not in force.

ah well so much for that option. Caveat Emptor fully in effect.
Standard User Earlgrey
(newbie) Wed 16-May-18 11:25:39
Print Post

some good news this time, I have got an initial price back from openreach of £4,600 for a New Cabinet. If its not missing a zero that seems very very low for the normal amount's seen flying about.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 16-May-18 12:17:14
Print Post

Maybe they have a warehouse full of them that need shifting. Even so given the labour and power costs that seems low, so its time to follow through and see if they will commit and deliver at that price.

Standard User Earlgrey
(newbie) Wed 16-May-18 14:39:43
Print Post

That's what i've done, just waiting to hear back its actually £46000.

At the quoted price there cant be much of a fibre run to the ag node either i would think
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to