General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User marcelhold
(newbie) Wed 22-Aug-18 19:46:16
Print Post

Any way to increase broadband speed?

[link to this post]

I'm new on here, and I'm hoping that someone might be able to assist.
I live in a rural location, with the phone line connected to the exchange on a line without cabinets - there's connection boxes dug into the ground, but otherwise it's a direct line into the exchange (not sure what that's called). Estimates for the line are between 1 and 3Mbps.

When I moved into the house, the speed started off OK, with speeds of around 1.4Mbps. About 4 months ago, the speed plummeted to 240kbps.
My ISP (Origin Broadband) seems to be unable to do anything to get the speed back up to the original speed.
I've had a few occasions where the speed came up, but every time, it stepped down, from 1.7Mbps (sync speed), to 1.1,0.9, then 572kbps, with an eventual throughput speed of 440kbps.

I've been caught in a game of responsibility ping-pong between my ISP and Openreach, each claiming that the other is responsible for improving our speed.

I've replaced the modem we received for this house (ASUS DSL-N16) with the previous one (ASUS DSL-N14U) and noticed that the first modem reports a significantly worse attenuation number than the second one: 75dB for the N16, against 67dB with the N14U. SNRM is up and down between 8 and 12dB for both.
Unfortunately, the sync speed seems to be locked at 572k. There wasn't even a temporary increase in speed when I swapped the routers.

My neighbours across the road are synced at 2Mbps, with 69dB attenuation and around 4dB noise margin... apparently, that doesn't make any difference for our connection.

I know the line can run at 1.7M without any noticeable problems to us but it keeps getting knocked down to 440k - Origin are claiming that the system can't handle any better but I reckon that's them trying to palm me off with the bare minimum.
Does anyone out there have any experience of a similar situation and any advice on what I might be able to do to get the speed to the best it can be?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 22-Aug-18 21:02:07
Print Post

Re: Any way to increase broadband speed?

[re: marcelhold] [link to this post]

Copy/paste a set of the line stats

a) with router in its usual place
b) with router connected to the test socket, i.e. disabling any phone extension wiring in the home

Might be worth checking the firmware versions and if newer available giving it a whirl, or chase down what will be old hardware now but the 2Wire 1200/1250 routers were often great on long lines

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 22-Aug-18 21:07:42
Print Post

Your ISP is shirking the issue, itís them you pay for the service ... end of.

They need to arrange Openreach to come out on an SFI task. Get the pair tested, any minor issues resolved ..... the SFI wallah can also liaise with the provider see if they can get a reset done on their exchange equipment.

Maybe, if Origin wonít play ball, leave, move to an ISP with a better reputation for fault resolution.

Do you have the line stats from your router ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User marcelhold
(newbie) Wed 22-Aug-18 22:07:15
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks MrSaffron
These are current stats:
ITU G.992.5 ADSL2+

ANNEX A

TCM down: 1, up: 1

SNRM down: 9.4, up: 7.1

Line Att down: 67.2, up: 44.5

Path interleaved, depth down 64 up 8

Data rate down 572k, up 446k

Max rat down: 2224, up: 509

Power down 14.2dbm, up 12.2dbm

These are in the usual location. Havent time to plug things round just now.

Have some basic stats for downstream taken the other day with the two routers, both in the main socket and in the living room:
DSL N14U:
Main socket: Att 67.2, SNRM 9.9, Power 14.1, Rate 572, Max rate 2032
Living room: Att 67.2, SNRM 6.8, Power 15.6, Rate 572, Max rate 2200

DSL N16:
Main socket: Att 74.3, SNRM 7.9, power 14.5, Rate 572, max rate 1728
Living room: Att 75.4, SNRM 12.0, Power 14.5, rate 572, max rate 2188

Did notice that the attenuation on DSLN14U is always at 67.2....

Firmware is Origin's own adaptation of an old fw. There is a newer version on ASUS' website. I'll have a go at that.

Cheers, Marcel
Standard User marcelhold
(newbie) Wed 22-Aug-18 22:30:43
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Your ISP is shirking the issue, itís them you pay for the service ... end of.

That's what the conversation I had with them today sounded like.
They also mentioned in passing that the call outs were costing them quite a lot of money....

They've got all the empathy you'd want in their patter but it doesn't sound like they're bothered about the fact I've got rubbish speed. Apparently it's within openreach's "acceptable range" of between 100 and 500k...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 22-Aug-18 23:04:29
Print Post

Attenuation differences likely to be done to the way different devices display a maximum attenuation value

Asus kit has not always had the best modems in them, and sometimes different firmware will tweak their behaviour

As you seem to have multiple sockets this will not be helping things, so the figures when in the test socket are important to know

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Thu 23-Aug-18 01:31:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by marcelhold:
These are current stats:
ITU G.992.5 ADSL2+

ANNEX A

TCM down: 1, up: 1

SNRM down: 9.4, up: 7.1

Line Att down: 67.2, up: 44.5

Path interleaved, depth down 64 up 8

Data rate down 572k, up 446k

Max rat down: 2224, up: 509

Power down 14.2dbm, up 12.2dbm

Forcing ADSL1 (G.992.1) modulation might be worth a try also - good luck.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Thu 23-Aug-18 07:22:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by marcelhold:
I've replaced the modem we received for this house (ASUS DSL-N16) with the previous one (ASUS DSL-N14U)

I know the line can run at 1.7M without any noticeable problems to us but it keeps getting knocked down to 440k

That will almost certainly be down to the Asus modem/router you are using. They are well known for causing instability, triggering low sync rates on xDSL lines. All down to the notorious Mediatek dsl chipset most use.

Best thing to do is bin the Asus immediately- donít even keep it as a spare theyíre not worth it - and buy an el cheapo Tplink W9970 for £35 on Amazon which *should* increase your speed to around 2 Mbps. However donít expect immediate results with new modem, leave it connected for few weeks to let the dlm work its magic. You have up to 30 days on amazon to return a product so enough time to fully test out the tplink.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by baby_frogmella (Thu 23-Aug-18 09:26:34)

Standard User 961a
(committed) Thu 23-Aug-18 10:13:54
Print Post

Sorry to hear of your problems

First, you might find this web site helps explain what is happening and how you can go about improving the situation

https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

Second, you need to establish that the loss of speed is not down to a fault in your home. So before you do anything else take readings using the test socket within your BT master socket. This isolates your broadband from damp/damaged telephone wires running to phone sockets in the house. If there is a restoration of speed using the test socket you have solved the problem and need to sort or disconnect your internal cabling. Check also that everything connected to your phone line inc sky boxes etc has a non faulty micro filter

Third, get a router with a broadcom chip. Billion are good but there are others. You can often pick one up second hand from someone who has moved on to fibre and still have their old adsl router in a drawer. Some recent models are shown here
https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/8074-billion...
but again, you don't need to buy new

Once you've done all that come back and let us know how you are getting on. If the problem persists, t may well be time to change isp
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 23-Aug-18 11:29:41
Print Post

[re: 961a] [link to this post]

Already suggested using the test socket, and waiting on the results before adding the advice about ring wires, filtered faceplates etc

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to