General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 23-Aug-18 20:40:16
Print Post

Re: Any way to increase broadband speed?

[re: marcelhold] [link to this post]

‘Costing them quite a lot of money’ ??? and yet they’ll happily keep taking yours.

Great.

Standard User robnicholson
(member) Thu 23-Aug-18 21:26:26
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I've been caught in a game of responsibility ping-pong between my ISP and Openreach, each claiming that the other is responsible for improving our speed.

I feel your pain here! A client of mine saw their VDSL2+ speed drop from an acceptable and usable 15Mbps to around a 10th of that. Nothing changed at their end. Took a lot of calls to BT to get them to finally get an OpenReach engineer out who found and fixed the fault in about 10 minutes.

Off the wall suggestion, but are the FTTC distances lower for a nearby village giving them a better speed and are you friends with anyone there? Point-2-point links are not that difficult to set-up and the equipment isn't that expensive.
Standard User marcelhold
(newbie) Thu 23-Aug-18 22:05:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

These are the stats, first "column" is test socket, second is main socket with faceplate and third column is in living room, readings taken from N16 router as I think the attenuation figure on the N14U was up against the "end stop".

SNRM _________11.6____12.4_____11.7
Attenuation _____75.1____75.3____75.7
Data Rate ______572_____572_____572
Max Data Rate__2080____2220____2284
Power _________14.4____14.4_____15.1

Just showing downstream stats as the upstream is going as fast as it can go.
Had a look at the extension wiring on the faceplate and it doesn't look like there's a ring wire (only a white and blue/white wire connected to terminals 2 and 5, with no obvious tails. Obviously wasn't able to check behind the test socket but I would hope the wiring there would be finished off as neatly as the extension.

The house is about 4 and we're renting so limited scope for fixing stuff.
We have an extra socket in the bedroom but there's nothing plugged into it - the only socket we use is the living room.

Edited by marcelhold (Thu 23-Aug-18 22:13:59)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User marcelhold
(newbie) Thu 23-Aug-18 22:20:57
Print Post

[re: robnicholson] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by robnicholson:
are the FTTC distances lower for a nearby village giving them a better speed and are you friends with anyone there? Point-2-point links are not that difficult to set-up and the equipment isn't that expensive.

Yes, the houses across the football pitch (about 150metres away) have fibre but don't know anyone there
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Thu 23-Aug-18 22:30:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by marcelhold:
SNRM _________11.6____12.4_____11.7
Attenuation _____75.1____75.3____75.7
Data Rate ______572_____572_____572
Max Data Rate__2080____2220____2284
Power _________14.4____14.4_____15.1

The stats look ok relatively.

As I said earlier, the Mediatek chipsets in Asus routers are well known to mess up dsl lines, you really need to try out a non-Mediatek based router and leave it connected for a while to see if it improves things.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30

My Broadband Speed Test
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 23-Aug-18 22:56:19
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

With the sync not moving at all, looks like the line may have been banded

The TP Link W9970 is a good start point for other hardware, broadcom based and while wireless side is nothing special with slow speeds you probably are not too worried about that.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User marcelhold
(newbie) Fri 24-Aug-18 10:41:53
Print Post

Thanks. I've ordered a second hand w9970 from the eBay. Suspect any request to have the banding removed is best left until the router is in place?
Also when setting it up, suspect it's best to force adsl1, to further improve stability?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 24-Aug-18 11:00:09
Print Post

Less stressful to just wait a couple of weeks and see what the DLM decides to do, also worth fitting an ADSL faceplate https://amzn.to/2wmCFyF so that the extensions are automatically filtered (will mean the modem only works at the master). The free option is to remove the extensions and have just the master socket, but whether that is feasible depends on your telephone requirements.

This should reduce the chance that some random noise is being picked up by the unused extensions occasionally and causing the broadband to trip and the DLM to intervene

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User marcelhold
(newbie) Fri 24-Aug-18 18:47:20
Print Post

Ok, will give it a couple of weeks when i get the router installed.
Unfortunately there's no power socket near the main socket so can't install modem there. Ironic really because the socket is in the electric cupboard....
Standard User Realalemadrid
(member) Fri 24-Aug-18 20:08:43
Print Post

Why can't you put a mains socket in the cupboard, there must be mains supply there.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to