General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dect
(regular) Thu 07-Feb-19 10:11:06
Print Post

Re: How do you get any information out of Openreach ?

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

OP has contacted OR who say they have no plans for a commercial rollout to his cabinet.
In reply to a post by SomeUser:
I got a cheerful response back to confirm that OR had no plan to upgrade our cabinet
The OP has stated that he contacted Hampshire Superfast 2 years ago and was told by them that he was part of a OR commercial rollout which may have been correct at that time.
About two years ago I approached the "Hampshire Superfast" county council programme and asked why our cabinet wasn't covered by their programme and their response was that we were covered by OR's commercial roll-out.
If this data is no longer correct he needs to get the data corrected (or an update supplied to Hampshire Superfast) as it will prevent investment from Hampshire Superfast within any future phases as we know they will not consider investing BDUK money where commercial rollouts are planned.

I would first contact Hampshire Superfast again and get them to confirm that they still believe there is a OR commercial rollout happening. I would then contact the BT chairman's off via email and use that evidence to try to get something back from them to take back to Hampshire Superfast or get them to go directly back to Hampshire Superfast with an update\correction.

Nothing is guaranteed in this world and nothing may happen but at least the OP will have tried all they can to get it sorted.

Edited by dect (Thu 07-Feb-19 10:14:35)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 07-Feb-19 10:43:51
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

>OP has contacted OR who say they have no plans for a commercial rollout to his cabinet.

That may be the situation on the date they contacted them, but things change.

>The OP has stated that he contacted Hampshire Superfast 2 years ago and was told by them that he was part of a OR commercial rollout which may have been correct at that time.

I know, but this may have been based on the feedback into the original BDUK Hampshire OMR - which is probably from 2013/2014. Yes I know that is longer than two years ago, but that may have been what Hampshire was still working to two years ago.

Yes poster should keep trying, just pointing out that it may there are often reasons for why different people say the things they do.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Thu 07-Feb-19 11:01:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Was in the commercial programme 2 years for FTTP but was cancelled.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Thu 07-Feb-19 11:55:56
Print Post

[re: SomeUser] [link to this post]

As others have said, why don't you get in touch with Hyperoptic? (assuming you live in a MDU). They would jump at the chance to provide FTTB to you in an non-superfast urban area. Even if they haven't got their own fibre close by, they sometimes use Openreach leased fibre for their services.

https://www.hyperoptic.com/register-interest/?siteid...

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Thu 07-Feb-19 16:38:55
Print Post

Someuser

See the post from Witchunt his info is to be trusted.

You need to feed this back to BDUK Hampshire by forwarding your OR response and saying the cabinet has been removed from the commercial programme.
Standard User SomeUser
(newbie) Thu 07-Feb-19 18:20:28
Print Post

Hi All,

There seems to be some confusion so just to clarify, I started speaking to Hampshire Superfast (HSF) around two years ago but that's not when I last spoke to them. I spent a long time talking to them and wading through all the excuses which culminated in them assuring me that their director would be bringing up the issue in their next meeting with Openreach (OR). The result of that was that they confirmed that HSF wouldn't cover our cabinet and that OR had no plan to upgrade it due to some generic reason of "unexpected issues relating to cost".

So this is not due to some automated feed with some outdated data in it and it's not due to changes between phase one and phase two as phase two was well underway whilst I was speaking to HSF. This is HSF and OR sitting down and making a knowing decision that HSF won't cover us and OR has no plan to cover us. It's not a mistake, it was a deliberate decision. It's one of the reasons that I've tried to hammer home to HSF the sheer absurdity of them saying that they won't cover us as we come under the commercial roll-out even after they had a meeting with OR where OR confirmed that they had no plan to upgrade us. It's why I gave up on HSF because it's a lost cause if I can't get them to understand that simple point of logic.

Hyperoptic probably would be the only way that we'd ever see a decent connection but unfortunately these flats seem to be predominately renters rather than home owners. That means it's very unlikely that collectively people would stump up for the cost as it's not a community, it's just a bunch of strangers in close proximity.

Thanks
Standard User SomeUser
(newbie) Thu 07-Feb-19 18:28:18
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Yep, they're the flats next to the old Thompson Local building which as of several months ago is finally being turned into about 145 more flats. I have been wondering if Openreach (OR) were waiting for them to pay for the upgrade but that didn't make sense as I'd expect them to pay for any new cabling required but not to upgrade an existing cabinet.

If the whole issue is around the number of homes that the cabinet serves then hopefully that would push OR over the edge but OR have never confirmed that's the specific issue holding up the upgrade. Hyperoptic say that they're evaluating the new flats as well so I'm not sure if OR would have a sulk if that gets installed and then decide not to compete.

I haven't been into the abbey either as they always seem to have their gates firmly closed but one thing I do know is that they're getting FTTP. So old Napoleon's remains will be getting better broadband than I could could ever hope for.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Thu 07-Feb-19 19:19:37
Print Post

Hyperoptic probably would be the only way that we'd ever see a decent connection but unfortunately these flats seem to be predominately renters rather than home owners. That means it's very unlikely that collectively people would stump up for the cost as it's not a community, it's just a bunch of strangers in close proximity.

With Hyperoptic you or anyone else are NOT required to stump up cash upfront- its NOT a community funded scheme like the Openreach one is. Hyperoptic just need nearly everybody in your building to register on their website - 100% commitment free - and if they get enough interest, they would certainly consider installing FTTB as long as the building owner provides wayleave access. For the time being I would put Openreach on the back burner and try to get everyone in your building to register on Hyperoptic's website.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Thu 07-Feb-19 19:22:53)

Standard User dect
(member) Thu 07-Feb-19 23:07:48
Print Post

If the whole issue is around the number of homes that the cabinet serves then hopefully that would push OR over the edge but OR have never confirmed that's the specific issue holding up the upgrade.
If you read witchunt's comment again the OR commercial rollout was for FTTP not FTTC so OR was never planning to upgrade your cabinet.
Standard User dect
(member) Thu 07-Feb-19 23:25:28
Print Post

Because OR were planning FTTP (rather than FTTC) this would have meant bringing fibre all the way into each flat in your building, there could have been a lot of additional considerations/costs that may have caused them to cancel their rollout. These considerations/costs may also be why Hampshire Superfast do not want to get involved. You could get the same outcome from Hyperoptic should you get them involved.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to