General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User SomeUser
(newbie) Fri 08-Feb-19 17:04:56
Print Post

Re: How do you get any information out of Openreach ?

[re: dect] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dect:
In reply to a post by SomeUser:
If the whole issue is around the number of homes that the cabinet serves then hopefully that would push OR over the edge but OR have never confirmed that's the specific issue holding up the upgrade.
If you read witchunt's comment again the OR commercial rollout was for FTTP not FTTC so OR was never planning to upgrade your cabinet.

I read witchunt's comment but it was so terse I didn't really get what they were trying. Based on your interpretation though then unless they have something to back that up then it's flat out wrong.

Here's a simple question to understand why... Why would OR look at every other property around us that's in the commercial roll-out area (and it's a big area) and upgrade them with FTTC but then look at out cabinet and think "hey, just for giggles let's do FTTP for these flats" ?

It wouldn't make any sense and was never going to happen. The only way that would have happened would have been if we were on EO lines (we're not), someone was paying for it (no one was) or they misidentified our address (this I might believe). Other than that there is just no way that OR looked at our cabinet and thought "hey, let's do the more expensive option for no reason whatsoever", it wasn't going to happen.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 08-Feb-19 17:12:17
Print Post

[re: SomeUser] [link to this post]

.... and yet there’s many flats just up the road from you that are FTTP from Openreach.

Standard User dect
(member) Fri 08-Feb-19 17:16:30
Print Post

I read witchunt's comment but it was so terse I didn't really get what they were trying. Based on your interpretation though then unless they have something to back that up then it's flat out wrong.
Witchunt's comment won't be wrong that's guaranteed.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User SomeUser
(newbie) Fri 08-Feb-19 17:44:34
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
.... and yet there’s many flats just up the road from you that are FTTP from Openreach.

Were those flats connected to a cabinet and did OR turn up and on their own volition decide "meh, let's just do the more expensive FTTP on our own dime just for fun" ?

It's not that flats can't be FTTP, it's that it would be a massive deviation from the norm if they decided to do that for these flats for the above stated reason.

Edited by SomeUser (Fri 08-Feb-19 18:02:14)

Standard User dect
(member) Fri 08-Feb-19 17:52:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:

Were those flats connected to a cabinet and did OR turn up and on their own volition decide "meh, let's just do the more expensive FTTP on our own dime just for fun" ?

It's not flats can't be FTTP, it's that it would be a massive deviation from the norm if they decided to do that for these flats for the above stated reason.
People on here who are in the know (not me the others) are trying to help you so please listen to what they are saying.
Standard User SomeUser
(newbie) Fri 08-Feb-19 17:54:07
Print Post

Witchunt's comment won't be wrong that's guaranteed.

I don't know Witchunt and presumably they're one of the gurus on these forums but if that's the case then perhaps they can clarify their answer. Specifically, why would OR upgrade everyone around us that's also in the commercial roll-out to FTTC but then look at our cabinet and decide of their own volition to spend their own money going for the more expensive option of FTTP ?

The only reason I can think of is that they made a mistake which they've then take years to realise. If they then realised that they messed up and changed us to FTTC then why has their site said that they have no plan to upgrade us for years ? If they've kicked us out of the commercial roll-out then when did that happen because to this day HSF still has us in the commercial roll-out area.
Standard User SomeUser
(newbie) Fri 08-Feb-19 18:01:23
Print Post

People on here who are in the know (not me the others) are trying to help you so please listen to what they are saying.

I appreciate people's help but a terse comment with nothing to back it up is not help. This is not the first forum that I've used and I know how to take on-board helpful information when it's offered but that doesn't mean that you take on-board everything just because someone says it.

So in this case I'd be happy to take on-board Witchunt's information if there was anything to actually back it up because unfortunately what they've said makes no sense.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Fri 08-Feb-19 18:17:00
Print Post

Witchunt works for you-know-who wink. So his information will be spot on. It may be that your building owner refused to give permission (way leave) to Openreach to install FTTP hence why they shelved their plans. In which case the same will apply to Hyperoptic as well - but still worth pursuing the Hyperoptic route as it won’t cost you or your neighbours a penny to register your interest.

As for why Openreach would plan FTTP for you building whilst giving FTTC to others in your area: down to economics. It works out far cheaper (per property) to provide FTTB than FTTP for houses. This is exactly why Hyperoptic usually serve apartment blocks rather than individual houses.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Fri 08-Feb-19 18:23:01)

Standard User dect
(member) Fri 08-Feb-19 18:20:06
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Thanks for chipping in, I was trying to say it without saying it.
Standard User SomeUser
(newbie) Fri 08-Feb-19 18:39:56
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
Witchunt works for you-know-who wink. So his information will be spot on. It may be that your building owner refused to give permission (way leave) to Openreach to install FTTP hence why they shelved their plans. In which case the same will apply to Hyperoptic as well - but still worth pursuing the Hyperoptic route as it won’t cost you or your neighbours a penny to register your interest.

As for why Openreach would plan FTTP for you building whilst giving FTTC to others in your area: down to economics. It works out far cheaper (per property) to provide FTTB than FTTP for houses. This is exactly why Hyperoptic usually serve apartment blocks rather than individual houses.

I had guessed as much when their name came up a few times but the thing is that I will question someone's statement when it doesn't make sense, even when that person is supposed to be knowledgeable. That's not trying to be difficult and it's not being arrogant, it's just sensible as even knowledgeable people get things wrong.

I get what you're saying about cost but would it really be cheaper for OR to drag fibre into two separate blocks of flats and setup equipment in both as opposed to just replacing the one cabinet that both blocks are connected to ? Especially when there's was also a third vacant building that is presumably connected to the same cabinet and which would also need upgrading at some point in the future ? I am happy to be proved wrong and I will happily apologise if that's the case but if something really doesn't make sense and nothing is offered to back it up then I'm going to question it.

I also appreciate that Hyperoptic is worth pursuing because this cabinet thing isn't going to get cleared up any time soon.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to