General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Fri 08-Feb-19 19:15:25
Print Post

Re: How do you get any information out of Openreach ?

[re: SomeUser] [link to this post]

I had guessed as much when their name came up a few times but the thing is that I will question someone's statement when it doesn't make sense,
Witchhunt's statement made perfect sense, your problem with it appears to be that it wasn't what you wanted to hear.
Standard User cymru123
(member) Fri 08-Feb-19 19:45:33
Print Post

There are cases where FTTP is cheaper in the long run.
With FTTC you need to factor in the cost of getting power too.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 08-Feb-19 20:00:38
Print Post

Getting the fibre into building is pretty easy.

Go right to the bottom of the stairs, and the duct comes up (and the current copper DP) are in the locked cupboard opposite the door into the car park.

The harder/pricier bit is getting the fibres up and into the individual flats.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User dect
(member) Fri 08-Feb-19 20:02:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by SomeUser:
I will question someone's statement when it doesn't make sense, even when that person is supposed to be knowledgeable.
Don't forget the information provided in this forum by helpful users is voluntary.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 08-Feb-19 21:38:23
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

And of course in the flats you need the permission of the building owner - this is not always forthcoming

On the topic of the new flats near by getting FTTP which postcode are these flats, the one recent new postcode nearby is connected to cabinet 65 with VDSL2

On FTTP in new buildings and in particular flats FTTP is pretty common, thousands built like that across London and its cheaper to do the FTTP at the time of building than retro fitting it

Edited by MrSaffron (Fri 08-Feb-19 21:42:04)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 09-Feb-19 08:18:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

On the topic of the new flats near by getting FTTP which postcode are these flats, the one recent new postcode nearby is connected to cabinet 65 with VDSL2

The flats, five or six blocks, on Sopwith Road, i.e. Bowman House, GU14 6GP.

So maybe a mile away from the OP’s flats ... I’m guessing folk would say that’s not especially close [shrug]

I reckon, the OP ought to be finding out what’s planned for the new flats next door in the old Thompson building.

Pretty sure the reason 109 got overlooked previously was that it served so few punters, making it a poor commercial investment, at the time.

There’s fibre to the Catholic school at the top of the hill behind him, but that’ll be a bespoke BAU business solution I reckon.

——————-/——————

Cab 65 ?? The horror, the horror.

Farnborough has more than its fair share of Midland shelf cabs, (rivalled by Fleet) and 65 holds an unofficial title of ‘Worst Cab on the Exchange’

Standard User dect
(member) Sat 09-Feb-19 09:22:51
Print Post

Here's where I think you're at with getting better fixed broadband :-

1) Openreach have cancelled FTTP rollout to your flats (you may not like it but take it as fact as you're not likely to get a signed statement about it from anyone on here).
2) Openreach not likely to upgraded cabinet 109 to FTTC while so few premises connected to it (could change if more premises are connected to it either directly by Openreach or partly/fully funded by developer)
3) Hampshire Superfast are not currently interested in helping, they have made that clear to you.
4) As baby_frogmella has said you and the other flat owners/occupiers could try Hyperoptic.

Hopefully I haven't missed anything out, I am sure someone will let me know.

You have not said what speed your currently getting via ADSL? if its below 10Mb next year at some point you should be able to register with the new Government scheme called USO which aims to provide everyone with at least 10Mb up to a maximum installation cost of around £3,400 per property.

[Edit] You (and the other flat owners) could consider funding it yourselves via a BT community Fibre partnership but FTTC or FTTP won't be cheap.

[Edit] There are a lot of prices floated around for how much it costs to install a DSLAM (FTTC cabinet), if you say the cost was as high as £60,000 (I've also heard people say as low as £30,000) then you would need 18 properties connected to cab 109 (who get below 10Mb) to register with the USO to collectively achieve this figure.

Edited by dect (Sat 09-Feb-19 11:10:29)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 09-Feb-19 09:39:01
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

OK have bowman house in my records, though at 2km from cabinet 109 area was outside where I was looking

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 09-Feb-19 10:25:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yeah, OK ....

strangely (for me anyway) lots FTTP comes from Farnborough exchange ...

Sites in both Camberley and Aldershot, and yet there are swathes of FTTP in Aldershot fed from Aldershot.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Sat 09-Feb-19 11:41:00
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dect:
Hampshire Superfast are not currently interested in helping, they have made that clear to you.

I wonder if that is down to the OP's location being in a town/city centre? AFAIK BDUK funds cannot be used in such areas, which is why there are still many areas (eg in Central London or Leeds Centre) without FTTC/P, though 'Fibre First' has begun addressing this. I guess this is down to a higher % of commercial premises located in town/city centres whereas BDUK is really intended to benefit residential customers en-masse.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to