General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User SomeUser
(newbie) Wed 06-Feb-19 19:19:34
Print Post

How do you get any information out of Openreach ?

[link to this post]

Hi All,

Just a bit of starting information, my post code is GU14 7NP which means that I'm connected to cabinet 109 of the Farnborough exchange which has been fibre enabled since 2006. I am in the city centre and Openreach (OR) has upgraded literally every cabinet around us (with one exception) but they refuse to upgrade our cabinet for some unknown reason. I can step to the other side of the road and they have fibre, I can walk 100 metres in most directions and they have fibre and the real kicker is that I'm on the main road which forms a straight line from the exchange to cabinets further away that have fibre. So OR has dragged fibre straight up the road, right past our cabinet (it's literally on the main road curb) and to cabinets which are further away but still won't upgrade our cabinet.

About two years ago I approached the "Hampshire Superfast" county council programme and asked why our cabinet wasn't covered by their programme and their response was that we were covered by OR's commercial roll-out. I've pointed out that it doesn't matter that we're supposedly covered by OR's commercial roll-out because OR has no plan to upgrade our cabinet which means we're in the same situation as any rural cabinet. They threw every random excuse they could at me and when I pointed out int urn why each was invalid. This culminated in them just flat out ignoring me after updating their site to say "you come under OR's roll-out, so we're no helping you" (I'm paraphrasing but you can see for yourself here https://www.hampshiresuperfastbroadband.com/).

I have tried getting some information out of OR and they just directed me to a part of their site where I could lodge a support request which I did, asking for an explanation of why they refuse to upgrade our cabinet. Several days later someone I got a cheerful response back to confirm that OR had no plan to upgrade our cabinet....

So here I am in a city centre surrounded by people that have access to fibre but with zero access to OR fibre, Virgin, Hyperoptic or anything else other than a 2km copper wire between us and the exchange. The local county council programme refuse to help and OR have no plan to upgrade our cabinet despite upgrading everyone around us and despite dragging fibre literally within a few metres of our cabinet. All of that is frustrating enough but what really sends me over the edge is that there's no way for me to get an explanation from OR as to why they refuse to upgrade our cabinet and why this farcical situation exists.

So after that rant, does anyone have any ideas how I can get some useful information out of OR to explain what their actual problem is with upgrading our cabinet ?

Thanks
Standard User gary333
(learned) Wed 06-Feb-19 19:33:12
Print Post

Re: How do you get any information out of Openreach ?

[re: SomeUser] [link to this post]

It looks like your cabinet only covers at the most 74 properties so I can only imagine they won't want to install fibre due to the cost. I've read that a cabinet costs IRO £55,000. Not sure what Openreach expect the conversion ratio to be but lets be optimistic and say 33% of people take up FTTC. If the delta between ADSL and FTTC for profit is £10 then it would take them 19 years to re-coup the costs and that doesn't include the cost to borrow the money and inflationary differnces / or regularty changes that might lower margin..
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Feb-19 19:33:33
Print Post

The most likely reason is that OR consider installing FTTC to be not commercially viable. BT as a commercial company has an obligation to its shareholders who expect to see a return on any investment made by BT. There may well be other reasons as I see that there are 15-20 cabs on the Farnborough exchange that have not been upgraded for FTTC.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-Feb-19 19:38:12
Print Post

No obligation to offer an explanation and real answer is probably

'When planning the commercial roll-out the cabinet failed to meet the financial criteria for an upgrade"
alternatively
"The cabinet was in the plans and fell off the plan after <insert problem> arose and costs exceeded a level we wanted to spend"

Looks to be a small footprint, much smaller than most of those in the commercial roll-out

The handful of Hampshire BDUK cabinets in Farnborough have been via the Phase II project, rather than the original one, so you might want to ask again.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User SomeUser
(newbie) Wed 06-Feb-19 19:49:53
Print Post

Thanks for the responses all. The idea that our cabinet wasn't commercially viable (not confirmed but it was the most likely explanation) was the first thing I brought up with the Hampshire BDUK project to point out the ridiculousness of saying that they won't cover us because we're part of the commercial roll-out if OR are saying they we're not commercially viable. I've spent a long time speaking to them and they flat out refuse to help on the grounds that we're part of the commercial roll-out. You can see the update they eventually put out by putting the post code into https://www.hampshiresuperfastbroadband.com/

The short version is that we're on our own and OR isn't interested. I understand that we might only have around 74 properties connected to this cabinet but if you look at say cabinet 1 (GU14 8AR) then I'm pretty sure that's got even less properties and yet it's both further away and is fibre enabled.

This is just a really frustrating situation to be in and there doesn't seem to be a way out short of paying for the upgrade ourselves which is just never going to happen.
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Feb-19 20:02:29
Print Post

You are not alone there are many in your situation. For example there was little or no BDUK funding for many of the larger cities throughout the UK especially London. In our case, 75 properties all Exchange Only in SW9, and after investigating the various options available to us we chose to "gap fund" the installation of an AIO cabinet by BT/Openreach. That is we paid Openreach the difference between the full cost and the sum that they were prepared to spend in much the same way as BDUK operated. Expensive but meant that we got decent speeds two or three years ago rather than waiting for some funding scheme that would have covered our situation.
Standard User gary333
(learned) Wed 06-Feb-19 20:08:43
Print Post

It's certainly rubbish when this happens and you are stuck. With the majority of buildings being flats couldn't you look at seeing if one of the FTTP providers are a possibility?

Here is a link to all of the cabinets and a few of them have as few as 30 or so properties, so looks like it's been possible in the past to get them connected.

https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=3...

Go all middle class and write to your MP, Councillors, Mayor etc (recorded or secure delivery). Having being involved in due dilligence to take over council services before I know they hate this fom of communication as it forces them to not give you the brush off that you would get from the "customer services" functions.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Feb-19 20:25:18
Print Post

Are you in the flats next to the old Thompson Local building ?

Any way to find out if the developers of next door are ordering FTTP for the new flats ? If they go the copper route instead then that will surely be fed from your cab (I believe it originally was) then more users connected means the cab is more financially viable.

(p.s. Have you visited the crypt behind your place ? Not everyone has Napoleon the 3rd’s remains as a neighbour !)

Standard User dect
(regular) Wed 06-Feb-19 22:54:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by SomeUser:
About two years ago I approached the "Hampshire Superfast" county council programme and asked why our cabinet wasn't covered by their programme and their response was that we were covered by OR's commercial roll-out.
Hampshire Superfast must be getting data from somewhere that says you're part of a commercial rollout, if this is not correct then I personally would look at getting that data corrected (I believe this is critical) so you are then eligible for investment through Hampshire Superfast. Once the data is corrected I would make a nuisance of myself with Hampshire Superfast
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 07-Feb-19 09:29:02
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

The hints are in fact that NO phase I bduk cabs were done in Farnborough, i.e. they avoided the largest urban areas.

So when they answered two years ago, their response which may have been based on data from the Open Market Review a year or two before that may have been correct.

NOTE: Commercial roll-out may be other suppliers than BT/Openreach

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User dect
(regular) Thu 07-Feb-19 10:11:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

OP has contacted OR who say they have no plans for a commercial rollout to his cabinet.
I got a cheerful response back to confirm that OR had no plan to upgrade our cabinet
The OP has stated that he contacted Hampshire Superfast 2 years ago and was told by them that he was part of a OR commercial rollout which may have been correct at that time.
About two years ago I approached the "Hampshire Superfast" county council programme and asked why our cabinet wasn't covered by their programme and their response was that we were covered by OR's commercial roll-out.
If this data is no longer correct he needs to get the data corrected (or an update supplied to Hampshire Superfast) as it will prevent investment from Hampshire Superfast within any future phases as we know they will not consider investing BDUK money where commercial rollouts are planned.

I would first contact Hampshire Superfast again and get them to confirm that they still believe there is a OR commercial rollout happening. I would then contact the BT chairman's off via email and use that evidence to try to get something back from them to take back to Hampshire Superfast or get them to go directly back to Hampshire Superfast with an update\correction.

Nothing is guaranteed in this world and nothing may happen but at least the OP will have tried all they can to get it sorted.

Edited by dect (Thu 07-Feb-19 10:14:35)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 07-Feb-19 10:43:51
Print Post

>OP has contacted OR who say they have no plans for a commercial rollout to his cabinet.

That may be the situation on the date they contacted them, but things change.

>The OP has stated that he contacted Hampshire Superfast 2 years ago and was told by them that he was part of a OR commercial rollout which may have been correct at that time.

I know, but this may have been based on the feedback into the original BDUK Hampshire OMR - which is probably from 2013/2014. Yes I know that is longer than two years ago, but that may have been what Hampshire was still working to two years ago.

Yes poster should keep trying, just pointing out that it may there are often reasons for why different people say the things they do.

Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Thu 07-Feb-19 11:01:24
Print Post

Was in the commercial programme 2 years for FTTP but was cancelled.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Thu 07-Feb-19 11:55:56
Print Post

As others have said, why don't you get in touch with Hyperoptic? (assuming you live in a MDU). They would jump at the chance to provide FTTB to you in an non-superfast urban area. Even if they haven't got their own fibre close by, they sometimes use Openreach leased fibre for their services.

https://www.hyperoptic.com/register-interest/?siteid...

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Thu 07-Feb-19 16:38:55
Print Post

Someuser

See the post from Witchunt his info is to be trusted.

You need to feed this back to BDUK Hampshire by forwarding your OR response and saying the cabinet has been removed from the commercial programme.
Standard User SomeUser
(newbie) Thu 07-Feb-19 18:20:28
Print Post

Hi All,

There seems to be some confusion so just to clarify, I started speaking to Hampshire Superfast (HSF) around two years ago but that's not when I last spoke to them. I spent a long time talking to them and wading through all the excuses which culminated in them assuring me that their director would be bringing up the issue in their next meeting with Openreach (OR). The result of that was that they confirmed that HSF wouldn't cover our cabinet and that OR had no plan to upgrade it due to some generic reason of "unexpected issues relating to cost".

So this is not due to some automated feed with some outdated data in it and it's not due to changes between phase one and phase two as phase two was well underway whilst I was speaking to HSF. This is HSF and OR sitting down and making a knowing decision that HSF won't cover us and OR has no plan to cover us. It's not a mistake, it was a deliberate decision. It's one of the reasons that I've tried to hammer home to HSF the sheer absurdity of them saying that they won't cover us as we come under the commercial roll-out even after they had a meeting with OR where OR confirmed that they had no plan to upgrade us. It's why I gave up on HSF because it's a lost cause if I can't get them to understand that simple point of logic.

Hyperoptic probably would be the only way that we'd ever see a decent connection but unfortunately these flats seem to be predominately renters rather than home owners. That means it's very unlikely that collectively people would stump up for the cost as it's not a community, it's just a bunch of strangers in close proximity.

Thanks
Standard User SomeUser
(newbie) Thu 07-Feb-19 18:28:18
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Yep, they're the flats next to the old Thompson Local building which as of several months ago is finally being turned into about 145 more flats. I have been wondering if Openreach (OR) were waiting for them to pay for the upgrade but that didn't make sense as I'd expect them to pay for any new cabling required but not to upgrade an existing cabinet.

If the whole issue is around the number of homes that the cabinet serves then hopefully that would push OR over the edge but OR have never confirmed that's the specific issue holding up the upgrade. Hyperoptic say that they're evaluating the new flats as well so I'm not sure if OR would have a sulk if that gets installed and then decide not to compete.

I haven't been into the abbey either as they always seem to have their gates firmly closed but one thing I do know is that they're getting FTTP. So old Napoleon's remains will be getting better broadband than I could could ever hope for.
(knowledge is power) Thu 07-Feb-19 19:19:37
Print Post

Hyperoptic probably would be the only way that we'd ever see a decent connection but unfortunately these flats seem to be predominately renters rather than home owners. That means it's very unlikely that collectively people would stump up for the cost as it's not a community, it's just a bunch of strangers in close proximity.

With Hyperoptic you or anyone else are NOT required to stump up cash upfront- its NOT a community funded scheme like the Openreach one is. Hyperoptic just need nearly everybody in your building to register on their website - 100% commitment free - and if they get enough interest, they would certainly consider installing FTTB as long as the building owner provides wayleave access. For the time being I would put Openreach on the back burner and try to get everyone in your building to register on Hyperoptic's website.

Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Thu 07-Feb-19 19:22:53)

Standard User dect
(member) Thu 07-Feb-19 23:07:48
Print Post

If the whole issue is around the number of homes that the cabinet serves then hopefully that would push OR over the edge but OR have never confirmed that's the specific issue holding up the upgrade.
If you read witchunt's comment again the OR commercial rollout was for FTTP not FTTC so OR was never planning to upgrade your cabinet.
Standard User dect
(member) Thu 07-Feb-19 23:25:28
Print Post

Because OR were planning FTTP (rather than FTTC) this would have meant bringing fibre all the way into each flat in your building, there could have been a lot of additional considerations/costs that may have caused them to cancel their rollout. These considerations/costs may also be why Hampshire Superfast do not want to get involved. You could get the same outcome from Hyperoptic should you get them involved.
Standard User SomeUser
(newbie) Fri 08-Feb-19 17:04:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by dect:
If the whole issue is around the number of homes that the cabinet serves then hopefully that would push OR over the edge but OR have never confirmed that's the specific issue holding up the upgrade.
If you read witchunt's comment again the OR commercial rollout was for FTTP not FTTC so OR was never planning to upgrade your cabinet.

I read witchunt's comment but it was so terse I didn't really get what they were trying. Based on your interpretation though then unless they have something to back that up then it's flat out wrong.

Here's a simple question to understand why... Why would OR look at every other property around us that's in the commercial roll-out area (and it's a big area) and upgrade them with FTTC but then look at out cabinet and think "hey, just for giggles let's do FTTP for these flats" ?

It wouldn't make any sense and was never going to happen. The only way that would have happened would have been if we were on EO lines (we're not), someone was paying for it (no one was) or they misidentified our address (this I might believe). Other than that there is just no way that OR looked at our cabinet and thought "hey, let's do the more expensive option for no reason whatsoever", it wasn't going to happen.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 08-Feb-19 17:12:17
Print Post

.... and yet there’s many flats just up the road from you that are FTTP from Openreach.

Standard User dect
(member) Fri 08-Feb-19 17:16:30
Print Post

I read witchunt's comment but it was so terse I didn't really get what they were trying. Based on your interpretation though then unless they have something to back that up then it's flat out wrong.
Witchunt's comment won't be wrong that's guaranteed.
Standard User SomeUser
(newbie) Fri 08-Feb-19 17:44:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
.... and yet there’s many flats just up the road from you that are FTTP from Openreach.

Were those flats connected to a cabinet and did OR turn up and on their own volition decide "meh, let's just do the more expensive FTTP on our own dime just for fun" ?

It's not that flats can't be FTTP, it's that it would be a massive deviation from the norm if they decided to do that for these flats for the above stated reason.

Edited by SomeUser (Fri 08-Feb-19 18:02:14)

Standard User dect
(member) Fri 08-Feb-19 17:52:26
Print Post

Were those flats connected to a cabinet and did OR turn up and on their own volition decide "meh, let's just do the more expensive FTTP on our own dime just for fun" ?

It's not flats can't be FTTP, it's that it would be a massive deviation from the norm if they decided to do that for these flats for the above stated reason.
People on here who are in the know (not me the others) are trying to help you so please listen to what they are saying.
Standard User SomeUser
(newbie) Fri 08-Feb-19 17:54:07
Print Post

Witchunt's comment won't be wrong that's guaranteed.

I don't know Witchunt and presumably they're one of the gurus on these forums but if that's the case then perhaps they can clarify their answer. Specifically, why would OR upgrade everyone around us that's also in the commercial roll-out to FTTC but then look at our cabinet and decide of their own volition to spend their own money going for the more expensive option of FTTP ?

The only reason I can think of is that they made a mistake which they've then take years to realise. If they then realised that they messed up and changed us to FTTC then why has their site said that they have no plan to upgrade us for years ? If they've kicked us out of the commercial roll-out then when did that happen because to this day HSF still has us in the commercial roll-out area.
Standard User SomeUser
(newbie) Fri 08-Feb-19 18:01:23
Print Post

People on here who are in the know (not me the others) are trying to help you so please listen to what they are saying.

I appreciate people's help but a terse comment with nothing to back it up is not help. This is not the first forum that I've used and I know how to take on-board helpful information when it's offered but that doesn't mean that you take on-board everything just because someone says it.

So in this case I'd be happy to take on-board Witchunt's information if there was anything to actually back it up because unfortunately what they've said makes no sense.
(knowledge is power) Fri 08-Feb-19 18:17:00
Print Post

Witchunt works for you-know-who wink. So his information will be spot on. It may be that your building owner refused to give permission (way leave) to Openreach to install FTTP hence why they shelved their plans. In which case the same will apply to Hyperoptic as well - but still worth pursuing the Hyperoptic route as it won’t cost you or your neighbours a penny to register your interest.

As for why Openreach would plan FTTP for you building whilst giving FTTC to others in your area: down to economics. It works out far cheaper (per property) to provide FTTB than FTTP for houses. This is exactly why Hyperoptic usually serve apartment blocks rather than individual houses.

Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Fri 08-Feb-19 18:23:01)

Standard User dect
(member) Fri 08-Feb-19 18:20:06
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Thanks for chipping in, I was trying to say it without saying it.
Standard User SomeUser
(newbie) Fri 08-Feb-19 18:39:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
Witchunt works for you-know-who wink. So his information will be spot on. It may be that your building owner refused to give permission (way leave) to Openreach to install FTTP hence why they shelved their plans. In which case the same will apply to Hyperoptic as well - but still worth pursuing the Hyperoptic route as it won’t cost you or your neighbours a penny to register your interest.

As for why Openreach would plan FTTP for you building whilst giving FTTC to others in your area: down to economics. It works out far cheaper (per property) to provide FTTB than FTTP for houses. This is exactly why Hyperoptic usually serve apartment blocks rather than individual houses.

I had guessed as much when their name came up a few times but the thing is that I will question someone's statement when it doesn't make sense, even when that person is supposed to be knowledgeable. That's not trying to be difficult and it's not being arrogant, it's just sensible as even knowledgeable people get things wrong.

I get what you're saying about cost but would it really be cheaper for OR to drag fibre into two separate blocks of flats and setup equipment in both as opposed to just replacing the one cabinet that both blocks are connected to ? Especially when there's was also a third vacant building that is presumably connected to the same cabinet and which would also need upgrading at some point in the future ? I am happy to be proved wrong and I will happily apologise if that's the case but if something really doesn't make sense and nothing is offered to back it up then I'm going to question it.

I also appreciate that Hyperoptic is worth pursuing because this cabinet thing isn't going to get cleared up any time soon.
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Fri 08-Feb-19 19:15:25
Print Post

I had guessed as much when their name came up a few times but the thing is that I will question someone's statement when it doesn't make sense,
Witchhunt's statement made perfect sense, your problem with it appears to be that it wasn't what you wanted to hear.
Standard User cymru123
(member) Fri 08-Feb-19 19:45:33
Print Post

There are cases where FTTP is cheaper in the long run.
With FTTC you need to factor in the cost of getting power too.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 08-Feb-19 20:00:38
Print Post

Getting the fibre into building is pretty easy.

Go right to the bottom of the stairs, and the duct comes up (and the current copper DP) are in the locked cupboard opposite the door into the car park.

The harder/pricier bit is getting the fibres up and into the individual flats.

Standard User dect
(member) Fri 08-Feb-19 20:02:18
Print Post

I will question someone's statement when it doesn't make sense, even when that person is supposed to be knowledgeable.
Don't forget the information provided in this forum by helpful users is voluntary.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 08-Feb-19 21:38:23
Print Post

And of course in the flats you need the permission of the building owner - this is not always forthcoming

On the topic of the new flats near by getting FTTP which postcode are these flats, the one recent new postcode nearby is connected to cabinet 65 with VDSL2

On FTTP in new buildings and in particular flats FTTP is pretty common, thousands built like that across London and its cheaper to do the FTTP at the time of building than retro fitting it

Edited by MrSaffron (Fri 08-Feb-19 21:42:04)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 09-Feb-19 08:18:58
Print Post

On the topic of the new flats near by getting FTTP which postcode are these flats, the one recent new postcode nearby is connected to cabinet 65 with VDSL2

The flats, five or six blocks, on Sopwith Road, i.e. Bowman House, GU14 6GP.

So maybe a mile away from the OP’s flats ... I’m guessing folk would say that’s not especially close [shrug]

I reckon, the OP ought to be finding out what’s planned for the new flats next door in the old Thompson building.

Pretty sure the reason 109 got overlooked previously was that it served so few punters, making it a poor commercial investment, at the time.

There’s fibre to the Catholic school at the top of the hill behind him, but that’ll be a bespoke BAU business solution I reckon.

——————-/——————

Cab 65 ?? The horror, the horror.

Farnborough has more than its fair share of Midland shelf cabs, (rivalled by Fleet) and 65 holds an unofficial title of ‘Worst Cab on the Exchange’

Standard User dect
(member) Sat 09-Feb-19 09:22:51
Print Post

Here's where I think you're at with getting better fixed broadband :-

1) Openreach have cancelled FTTP rollout to your flats (you may not like it but take it as fact as you're not likely to get a signed statement about it from anyone on here).
2) Openreach not likely to upgraded cabinet 109 to FTTC while so few premises connected to it (could change if more premises are connected to it either directly by Openreach or partly/fully funded by developer)
3) Hampshire Superfast are not currently interested in helping, they have made that clear to you.
4) As baby_frogmella has said you and the other flat owners/occupiers could try Hyperoptic.

Hopefully I haven't missed anything out, I am sure someone will let me know.

You have not said what speed your currently getting via ADSL? if its below 10Mb next year at some point you should be able to register with the new Government scheme called USO which aims to provide everyone with at least 10Mb up to a maximum installation cost of around £3,400 per property.

[Edit] You (and the other flat owners) could consider funding it yourselves via a BT community Fibre partnership but FTTC or FTTP won't be cheap.

[Edit] There are a lot of prices floated around for how much it costs to install a DSLAM (FTTC cabinet), if you say the cost was as high as £60,000 (I've also heard people say as low as £30,000) then you would need 18 properties connected to cab 109 (who get below 10Mb) to register with the USO to collectively achieve this figure.

Edited by dect (Sat 09-Feb-19 11:10:29)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 09-Feb-19 09:39:01
Print Post

OK have bowman house in my records, though at 2km from cabinet 109 area was outside where I was looking

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 09-Feb-19 10:25:56
Print Post

Yeah, OK ....

strangely (for me anyway) lots FTTP comes from Farnborough exchange ...

Sites in both Camberley and Aldershot, and yet there are swathes of FTTP in Aldershot fed from Aldershot.

(knowledge is power) Sat 09-Feb-19 11:41:00
Print Post

Hampshire Superfast are not currently interested in helping, they have made that clear to you.

I wonder if that is down to the OP's location being in a town/city centre? AFAIK BDUK funds cannot be used in such areas, which is why there are still many areas (eg in Central London or Leeds Centre) without FTTC/P, though 'Fibre First' has begun addressing this. I guess this is down to a higher % of commercial premises located in town/city centres whereas BDUK is really intended to benefit residential customers en-masse.

Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User dect
(member) Sat 09-Feb-19 12:13:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
I wonder if that is down to the OP's location being in a town/city centre? AFAIK BDUK funds cannot be used in such areas, which is why there are still many areas (eg in Central London or Leeds Centre) without FTTC/P, though 'Fibre First' has begun addressing this. I guess this is down to a higher % of commercial premises located in town/city centres whereas BDUK is really intended to benefit residential customers en-masse.
I know of Farnborough but that's as far as it goes for me. CodeLook says Hampshire Superfast have funded around 18 cabinets to get FTTC so not sure if these are in the middle of down or not.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 09-Feb-19 12:36:14
Print Post

Nothing stopping city centre areas, hence why a number of cabinets in Farnborough have been done in the phase two roll-out

London was excluded as was already above BDUK target.

A problem that repeats across city centres though is Exchange Only lines, i.e. more costly to give VDSL2 and with value for money as a big Gov driver then are at the end of the list often. Also cabinet density is higher, so compared to the suburban areas you often have lots of smaller footprint cabinets in terms of area and number of premises covered, thus may have broken the £1,700 per premises intervention rule

Standard User dect
(member) Sat 09-Feb-19 13:40:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
may have broken the £1,700 per premises intervention rule
Could you please briefly explain this intervention rule.

Edited by dect (Sat 09-Feb-19 13:40:37)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 09-Feb-19 13:45:06
Print Post

As part of the value for money and rules around the BDUK projects the phase one contracts invariably had a public spending cap of £1,700 per premise

In some phase two contracts this has changed.

So what would happen is planning would take place with cost estimates and those deemed too expensive would be put aside and other cheaper places found.

Logic being better to deliver superfast to 1,000 premises than deliver it to 588 more expensive premises.

Of course knowing this does nothing to help the poster...where it seems FTTP was planned and then dropped for reasons unknown. Usual reasons for this are cost or difficult to obtain wayleave.

Standard User dect
(member) Sat 09-Feb-19 13:57:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
this does nothing to help the poster
Thanks for explaining, it was for my benefit rather than the OP smile
(knowledge is power) Sat 09-Feb-19 14:10:39
Print Post

Thanks Mr S, you learn something new every day smile
(I wasn't aware that city centre areas were included in BDUK rollouts)

Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sat 09-Feb-19 14:14:13)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 09-Feb-19 14:15:55
Print Post

The ‘middle of down’ ?

Sounds a bit vague and fluffy to me . laugh

Standard User dect
(member) Sat 09-Feb-19 14:20:42
Print Post

The ‘middle of down’ ?

Sounds a bit vague and fluffy to me . laugh
Sorry... spelling was never one of my strengths as I'm sure you have worked out by now frown was trying to say 'middle of town'
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to