User comments on ISPs
  >> O2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

These posts have been archived and can no longer be replied to or modified.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User supacrap
(committed) Mon 24-Mar-08 19:21:39
Print Post

Change wep key

[link to this post]

Hi,

Is it possible to change the WEP key that came with the router to a longer and more complex one or do i have to keep the one that o2 put on the router which is only 8 digits long.

Cheers

VirginMedia 20meg
Standard User MKD
(experienced) Mon 24-Mar-08 19:34:30
Print Post

Re: Change wep key

[re: supacrap] [link to this post]

Yes it's a bit hidden but think that even with default user (Adminstrator) you can do it.

Realise the o2 box has a mixed up interface - there are choices in THREE areas
- in the left margin vertical menu
- in the 'display area' in the middle
- in the TOP RIGHT corner of the display area

Go into left: HOME NETWORK
Click on the display area WLAN:.... bit
then top right; click CONFIGURE

I'd write down for anything you change what your settings/passwords were before/after so you can be sure where you were and where you go in case you want/need to backtrack anything.

If you do find you dont have enough permission/authority then see this thread about setting up a new more powerful user ID to manage the box
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=o2&Number=3180068

v.Happy o2 Broadband ADSL2+ 29/10/07 using o2 wireless box & InternetCalls VoIP @ 4Mbps down 1Mbps up on 59dB Attn, 25% better than ADSLmax! (Consistent 85%+ throughput, with just a 1.5hr blip 8/12/07). Don't forget 25 quidco.com cashback if you want to sign up too (at 20/3/2008).

Edited by MKD (Mon 24-Mar-08 19:38:54)

Standard User Kyomii
(experienced) Mon 24-Mar-08 19:36:26
Print Post

[re: MKD] [link to this post]

Is it only WEP and not WPA? I would much prefer WPA!

Regards, Kyomii

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MKD
(experienced) Mon 24-Mar-08 19:37:30
Print Post

[re: Kyomii] [link to this post]

One of the options is "Use WPA-PSK Encryption". See other message about what/where to find it.

v.Happy o2 Broadband ADSL2+ 29/10/07 using o2 wireless box & InternetCalls VoIP @ 4Mbps down 1Mbps up on 59dB Attn, 25% better than ADSLmax! (Consistent 85%+ throughput, with just a 1.5hr blip 8/12/07). Don't forget 25 quidco.com cashback if you want to sign up too (at 20/3/2008).
Standard User NewForest
(regular) Mon 24-Mar-08 21:07:08
Print Post

[re: MKD] [link to this post]

You don't have to search far on the internet to realise that WEP is barely any 'security' at all - it's not much better than dangling an ethernet network cable outside your front door and inviting passers by to hack your home computers/internet connection! I'm not a computer professional but I would always use WPA or (better still) WPA2 with a complex password in preference to WEP unless I had absolutely no alternative.

If you do have no alternative, nail down everything you can, like restricting access to specified MAC addresses, ie only YOUR computers can connect (?can't recall if you can do that on the O2 Box?).
Standard User RedOnRed
(committed) Mon 24-Mar-08 21:24:16
Print Post

[re: NewForest] [link to this post]

Better still, ditch wireless all together and use powerline/homplug adapters which will enable your existing electrical mains circuit to be used as a network. You'll get much faster speeds, hardly any drop outs and the transmission doesn't go beyond your fuse box - so can't be picked up and hacked externally.

You can also encrypt it to be on the safe side anyway using the bundled software.
Standard User supacrap
(committed) Mon 24-Mar-08 22:50:55
Print Post

Yep i set it up with WPA2 buy it came up with the default key o2 had set so wasn't sure if i could just go ahead and change it or had to stick with the o2 generated key.

Thnx

VirginMedia 20meg
Standard User NewForest
(regular) Tue 25-Mar-08 01:22:45
Print Post

[re: supacrap] [link to this post]

You can (and should) change the WPA2 key. The longer the better; I believe it can be up to 63 characters (from memory).

There's even a webpage which generates random security keys using all of the keyboard characters: https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm.

Standard User supacrap
(committed) Tue 25-Mar-08 09:59:36
Print Post

Excellent!

I have used their site for things in the past but didn't realise thay had that password section.

VirginMedia 20meg
Standard User NewForest
(regular) Thu 27-Mar-08 01:04:07
Print Post

[re: RedOnRed] [link to this post]

Re: "...powerline/homplug adapters which will enable your existing electrical mains circuit to be used as a network..."

Interesting, I must look into these, but I seem to remember they are (?were) pricey. Any recommendations?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to