User comments on ISPs
  >> O2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User aoqd22
(newbie) Mon 21-Jan-13 19:38:23
Print Post

Nearly a year later once again "can't find the server"

[link to this post]

Hi in early Feb 2012 I reported was getting an increasing number of "can't find the server" responses when I tried to connect to websites in the UK and overseas. That problem gradually disappeared guess what over the last week or so have started to get these messages again in the evenings and other times when normally the www is busy!

Am I the only one who has started to have this problem again? I am on the Witney exchange in Oxfordshire and am 1.81 km (straight line) from the exchange.
Standard User animal007
(member) Mon 21-Jan-13 20:12:27
Print Post

Re: Nearly a year later once again "can't find the server"

[re: aoqd22] [link to this post]

Had it happen a few times but a refresh of the page has fixed it everytime.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 21-Jan-13 20:13:06
Print Post

Tried using different DNS servers e.g. Google or openDNS

Failed DNS lookups are usually the reason for cant find server type issues

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Jan-13 23:35:10
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Be careful using other DNS servers on O2 if you use Akamai (BBC iPlayer etc) as the servers won't be optimised. Might help for the issue you are seeing though could create another issue.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User PeterTheta
(newbie) Sun 03-Feb-13 14:49:59
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

My O2 broadband is in Shepherd's Bush and the addresses it gives me are part of the bethere network.

In the last couple of months of my two years as an O2 customer, I have seen the following pattern: when DNS fails, it always recovers a few minutes later. This is maddening when I am at work in discussion with remote colleagues (I work from home).

It's almost as though the system maintains inadequate DNS records and only improves them with prompting by me. Frustratingly, the system doesn't learn. I've been through this with some domains more than twice.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 03-Feb-13 16:36:25
Print Post

Belive it or not it's not always down to a flakey ISP dns server,I'm with BE retail, i never have used their dns but a similar thing happens to me from time to time, even with uk based sites, it's not just down to dns, but quite possibly down to their network topology and peering and the way that is all configured ,

Standard User aoqd22
(newbie) Mon 11-Feb-13 18:42:34
Print Post

[re: animal007] [link to this post]

Got fed up took advantge of Plusnet's 'Essentials' FTTC discount got connected end last week. Its just a pity that 02 couldn't offer me an FTTC product.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 11-Feb-13 22:15:48
Print Post

And how is it?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.3/15.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User aoqd22
(learned) Mon 11-Feb-13 23:12:32
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

So far so good ...

With 02 LLU via ADSL 2+ was normally getting just shy of 6 Mbps download with instances particularly during busy times when any browser was likely to report "can't find the server"!

The speedtest I have just done reports via fibre am currently getting 36.63 Mbps down and 8.98 Mbps up which isn't bad when max can get is 38Mbps and 9.5Mpsb up on the Plusnet 'Essentials' product. I should add both the new and old BT cabinets are not far away and can be seen from the house.

I found 02's UK based technical staff normally very good - as far as Plusnet's support is concerned twice I have called to find a 20-30 minutes delay then been cut off at just over 15 minutes into the waiting time which suggests their callcentre system might just be programmed to do this!

Anyway I am just glad to have got rid of the "can't find the server' messages!

Edited by aoqd22 (Mon 11-Feb-13 23:14:09)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 11-Feb-13 23:58:34
Print Post

I think they may be picking up customers quite quickly, and whilst they have upgraded the broadband capacity a lot perhaps they are lagging on the CS. ("Cannot find the CS" tongue?)

I recommend joining the Community forums. The Digital Care Team, who pop in here quite often, watch the Community ones much more closely.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.3/15.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
  Print Thread

Jump to