General Discussion
  >> Other Broadband Technologies

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User russ1974
(newbie) Fri 01-Oct-10 11:53:47
Print Post

Bicester FTTC

[link to this post]

Having suffered with slow ADSL since I moved here 18 months ago, I was delighted to see that Bicester became FTTC enabled on 30th September. However, typically, my cabinet seems to be just about the only one that they haven't upgraded to fibre. I managed to get my cabinet number (50) from a helpful member of this forum, so I drove round and found it - and no fibre cabinet anywhere in site. Every other cabinet I've found, there is a fibre one nearby.

Now what is annoying, is that where I live is a) right on the outskirts of the town so we get very low ADSL (lucky to get 2.5Mb), which would make it an ideal candidate for FTTC. b) the estate is one of the "posher bits" with new houses and there are loads of people who complain about the slow broadband speed. What I don't understand is why BT have upgraded cabinets close to the exchange where people will already be getting 15+Mb broadband, but have missed this one out. It almost genuinely feels like they have accidentally missed it, because other nearby ones have got a new cabinet next to them.

Does anyone have any idea who I can speak to about this ... ? I would even go as far as getting a petition signed by everyone in our street (who I expect would all be services by that cabinet based on where the others are) committing to switch to FTTC, and I would even personally pay some money to BT towards the upgrade.

So frustrating that there was light at the end of the tunnel for FTTC and then they skip my cabinet. Surely a better commercial model for BT would be to upgrade cabinets that get slow ADSL speeds, where people are much more likely to switch - than ignoring those ones and upgrading cabs near to the exchange where people will already be perfectly happy with the speed they are getting.

Is there any scope (again, happy to pay) to have my copper run to a different cabinet?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 01-Oct-10 12:41:59
Print Post

Re: Bicester FTTC

[re: russ1974] [link to this post]

Check council for planning applications, it may be the cabinet is in a conservation area, which means more paperwork to get approval.

Or some may have objected to the location for the new cabinet.

A better option would be to pay for the cabinet to be FTTC'd, if you can get together a few genuine people who want the cabinet done, and show its outside a conservation area, I can pass on the details to Openreach. No promise of a positive result, but may find out at least reason, and what can be done.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User russ1974
(newbie) Fri 01-Oct-10 12:57:52
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

1) I'm sure it can't be a conservation area. It's part of a housing estate, the existing cabinet is on a pavement right next to a house. It is Cabinet #50 in Bicester if there is anyway to check.

2) List of people - I could easily get a list of 20 names just from my street. Could you approach OpenReach and say that we have a list of names, which will then be passed on if they really need it. I don't want to hassle friends and neighbours if nothing at all is likely to come of it. But there are loads of people at this end of the town who would kill for higher speed internet.

3) Other option, if you have a good contact at Openreach, could you just ask them why it hasn't been done yet? And would money or a certain quantity of people signed up to commit to purchase FTTC be enough to convince them to go ahead?

Thanks for your help.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 01-Oct-10 13:01:12
Print Post

Email me andrew@thinkbroadband.com with the details you have.

They should be able to find it from cabinet number, but the street address for property it is next to can help.

Be quick and it will get asked before everyone remembers it Friday and goes home early

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 09-Feb-11 13:52:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I'm on the same cabinet (number 50) in bicester, did anyone ever find out why it's been missed or if there are any options for it being upgraded?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 10-Feb-11 01:57:05
Print Post

Re: Bicester FTTC *DELETED*

Post deleted by billford
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 08-Mar-11 16:23:55
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I did find out via a complaint in October that a line check error had dropped cabinet 50 from the upgrade list, and nobody bothered to ask why. My complaint kicked them into action to retest it, and it's now in line for upgrade in "Phase 8", sometime by the end of March 2012.

So, for those connected to SMBI Cabinet 50, it looks like March 2012.
Standard User russ1974
(newbie) Tue 06-Mar-12 16:37:23
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:

Well, here we are in March 2012. And no news, no movement, nothing. Contact BT today and you get the same answer you got 18 months ago. Useless frown
Standard User ccxo
(member) Tue 06-Mar-12 18:08:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by russ1974:
In reply to a post by Anonymous:

Well, here we are in March 2012. And no news, no movement, nothing. Contact BT today and you get the same answer you got 18 months ago. Useless frown

On the December spreadsheet there is no dates for FTTC on cabinet 50. All work was done back in phase 4a on the exchange and the only upcoming work is on cab 22 which is in phase 9b.

Have to wait for the next spreadsheet to be leaked to see if cab 50 is scheduled.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by ccxo (Tue 06-Mar-12 18:09:15)

Print Thread

Jump to