General Discussion
  >> Other Broadband Technologies

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User trumpet272
(newbie) Thu 10-Mar-11 11:21:21
Print Post

FIXED WIRELESS OR SATELLITE?

[link to this post]

HI

We're a small community at the end of the line outside a village in Wiltshire. We achieve less than 0.5mb currently and we need another solution! Our feasibility report came back from Rutland Telecom and we would not be able to provide the numbers required to make it work. We are however all prepared to pay, within reason, over the odds for a decent result.

None of us are concerned by latency of satellite as far as we understand it - online gaming and VoIP. Unless there are any other latency downsides we are unaware of? I am mostly concerned about the Usage allowance - does 10GB (at £100 per month) get you anything these days?!

So I presume our only other option is fixed wireless. Can anyone recommend? Tried Kijoma - but can't get through.

Many thanks in advance for pointers!
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 10-Mar-11 11:23:46
Print Post

Re: FIXED WIRELESS OR SATELLITE?

[re: trumpet272] [link to this post]

Which exchange?

Which village?

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 10-Mar-11 11:31:24
Print Post

Talk to the county council they are possibly looking at solutions for areas of wiltshire as there is some money from BDUK for this sort of thing.

10GB at £100 a month - OUCH. Cheaper satellite with higher allowances is on the way via KA Band satellites that launched at the end of 2010.

10GB equates to 20 episodes of Top Gear via iPlayer probably. So if sharing this with others you can quickly see the problem.

Have you explored all the wiring changes that might improve your current broadband? A lot of people put up with 0.5 from a duff supplier not realising that more is possible, attenuation, noise margin and sync speeds from current ADSL hardware will let people evaluate.

I presume that there is no 3G wireless coverage? If it is only just outside the 3G area, then an external antenna might get you 3G access which will be cheaper than satellite.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User trumpet272
(newbie) Thu 10-Mar-11 11:59:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies - postcode is SN84NT exchange is Burbage - and 3G, in fact any mobile, signals are very much hit and miss there, mostly miss.

As for wiring, my house is being built there so it will all be new, (unlike the old house I am moving form that has literally a maze of prehistoric wiring that has flummoxed every engineer who's ever been there!)

Agreed, 10GB doesn't go very far, and the Satellite options I've looked at seem to have this as their top tier of usage allowance! And at £100 ppm... Would be interested to know whats in the pipeline, I expect to move in in June.

So, new house, new business working from home, it would be nice to know I'm choosing the best solution. Any recommendations on the best Satellite ISP?

Thanks all again.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 10-Mar-11 12:37:02
Print Post

Yes don't buy that house.

Some one in Milkhouse Water is getting 2.3Mbps from our speedtester - you can see this at maps.thinkbroadband.com

Satellites no idea on who is good, the retailers have a tendency to come and go.

I would seriously spend some time looking at the ADSL stats from your line. You say the house is being built, so do you have a connected phone line already? If not then the 0.5Meg you are worrying about might be more, it might be less, estimates tend to be pessimistic due to the bad press from people not getting the speeds they think they would.

Even a 0.5Meg service with 0.4Meg upstream should be reasonable for remote working. The latency would be good compared to 3G or satellite too.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User trumpet272
(newbie) Thu 10-Mar-11 13:20:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

No phone lines in yet, coming up to first fix. Is there anything I can make sure happens when it does? Any equipment I could put it to get the best basis for ADSL if that's what route I take? Only thing I'm ensuring so far is that the line comes in to the middle of the property to avoid long cable runs.

The two neighbours I have are a couple of fields away each, and they are both getting the same, half a meg speeds. Some stats:

For Telephone No: 01672XXXXXX
Postcode: SN8 4NT
Phone & Postcode search OK

Exchange Information
Exchange: Burbage BT Code: SSBBG
Distance:- Direct: 4.17 km
(appx)* By Road: 7.24 km
Status
ADSL enabled: February 23, 2005
DSL Max enabled: March 30, 2006
SDSL enabled : Not Enabled
21CN due : (PSTN) N/A
21CN WBC (Broadband) Not available
Broadband Access† Market 1
BT Line Speed Estimation

Fixed ADSL: 256 kbps (0.3 Mb)
DSL Max: 1000 kbps (1 Mb)
21CN WBC : Not Available

RAG Test Results

Fixed: 1Mbps and 2Mbps not possible
radsl: Line has over 75dB loss, ADSL unlikely, but will be tested by an engineer on-site
MAX: ADSL Max is available
TPON: No info in database
Check: No compatability issues

Thanks for the link to the maps, is it possible to investigate/buy into another speed that is local to me? Or is seeing other's favourable speeds just a cruel fact of life!

Cheers
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 10-Mar-11 13:25:13
Print Post

the average UK use is I recall somewhere between 10 and 20 GB.

If you opt to watch television on, god forbid, a television then you probably would come nowhere near that.

Some sat packages have off-peak download limits that are more generous and prices generally less expensive than you quote.

AB Internet I think are working with UK Broadband to set up wireless provision, but that may not get sufficient numbers either from what you say about Rutland.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User Cobra001
(committed) Thu 10-Mar-11 13:45:19
Print Post

HI, you could always doing something like this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-range_Wi-Fi

one of my friends use it down in Cornwall as he can't get decent adsl but another freind not to far away get good adsl
Standard User trumpet272
(newbie) Thu 10-Mar-11 14:12:26
Print Post

[re: Cobra001] [link to this post]

is that DIY fixed wireless?

Not sure my technical abilities would stretch....
Standard User trumpet272
(newbie) Thu 10-Mar-11 14:14:09
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

I tried AB internet actually a few days ago, it sounded great but they are not in my area.

Kijoma seem to be the only ones but I can't get through.

Thanks all.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to